C7 2.3.1 and Z-Wave Firmware 7.17.1

If you use Z-Wave on C7 and have not updated yet, I highly recommend running the update.

We have seen dramatic improvements in Z-Wave stability and performance.

Upgrading to 2.3.1 is not enough, you also need to run the "Firmware Update" through the Z-Wave Details page.

Not sure if your hub is running the new firmware? Visit the following endpoint to check the version that your hub is currently running:

http://yourHubIP*/hub/zwaveVersion

*replace yourHubIP* with your hub's actual IP address.

31 Likes

I did this yesterday and have already seen great improvements in my mesh and RSSI.

2 Likes

Absolutely - follow @bcopeland's advice and you will defintely be a happier camper!

After you've updated it should look like this:

> VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:17, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:17, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:1, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:15]])

2 Likes

Is there value in doing a full network repair after the firmware upgrade?

1 Like

I'd let the new FW settle for a few days, many of us saw improvements w/out doing anything. If after a few days you see some devices with odd routes/slow connect speeds, or you're having issues w/a device, then do individual repairs on those devices. You can also shut down and then unplug (at the wall) your hub for 5 minutes and then plug it in again. (Edit: @bcopeland has indicated below the "turn off and unplug" action is not necessary after the FW update.)

You can do a successful full Z-Wave repair w/this new FW - unlike the previous version which would frequently be unsuccessful in a full repair, or even make things worse. So if you want to, I think we've consistently seen that the new FW won't cause any problems if you do a full repair.

5 Likes

You can.. But it should not be necessary..

6 Likes

What I did is a Shutdown + 10 minute power off. This gives you a "clean slate" as far as the mesh is concerned. I'm on Day 3 since then and I'm still see daily improvements to the mesh.

2 Likes

Also not necessary..

4 Likes

As long as we're on the subject, in what situations would you advise the turn off and unplug dance? It has seemed to help w/mesh issues in the past.

3 Likes

I never do this..

7 Likes

In the admittedly rare instances I've done this in the past it has seemed to help - gotten things moving again even where a standard reboot did not. Of course anecdotal evidence is anecdotal :grin:.

I would always prefer to err on the side of less physical abuse to my and my client's hubs so this is good thing to keep in mind. Thanks!

2 Likes

It might help if the radio is non functional, but you have a much bigger problem if that happens, and power cycling is just a band-aid.

2 Likes

The new zwave firmware has definitely made a big difference for me with some lights that had been problematic almost daily.

2 Likes

I guess the thinking was pre-7.17.1 at least was that a simple reboot wouldn't clear the Z-Wave radio chipset if it was having fits due to pairing issues etc. Of course my Z-Wave knowledge was (still!) very limited and that appeared to be the community collective "wisdom" at the time so naturally just followed along :sheep:

2 years ago or so when I was pairing a bunch (60+) of Zooz switches at a job site I would get to a point after a couple of inclusions where I could not pair anything anymore - a reboot did not work but a cold boot usually did. Of course I realize there were probably other factors at play as well so dunno...

1 Like

How do you do it ? I have not seen anything that clearly says how to do it. But I have seen several post that read "try, that or if that doesnt work try this other thing." It kinda reminds me of holding aluminum foil up to the rabbit ear on our old black and white TV to get crappy reception.

Seriously, near as i can tell this seems be about a 30 to 60 minute process that has to be closely monitored, not like a regular update. So what the correct answer?

How do I recover from a collapsed mesh? I never let my mesh get to that point. I am only using reputable devices and only introduce new devices in the mesh in very small batches or single devices, then monitor them to make sure they are not negatively impacting my mesh. If they are spamming my radio uncontrollably, they go straight to the trashcan. Life is too busy as it is, to spend countless hours trying to make a bad device better.

3 Likes

No. How do you do the firmware update. I've seen lots of tribal rituals posted, but no clear direction. Just clicking update firmware into enough because I just did that and after 20 minutes im still on the old firmware version.

No, the aluminum foil has to go on your head.

4 Likes

Clicking update was a slow process for me. I walked away and took care of other stuff. When I came back, it was done. Sorry, not sure what the exact timing was, but 20+ minutes is not outside of the realm of possibility. I recall seeing a % update, though, which is why I walked away.

1 Like

Check out this thread:

1 Like