[SOLVED] Firmware update to 7.17.1 takes a long time, then failed

I recently went through and put almost everything over to no security. I have two remaining devices at S2, Zooz Speaker and a Zooz Water/Leak Sensor, and one S0 device, a Fibaro Button

In my case I have a ton of Zooz switches that were included prior to 2.2.9, so they went in with S2 security enabled. No reason for this, other than I was too lazy to side-load them into the mesh with my z-stick. Now that I can say "skip the useless security for my light switch, please" when including, I'll hope for better results. Kind of a pain to re-include just about every switch in the house, but there you have it...

1 Like

only about 12 s2 devices and only 3 are switches i couldnt get to include without it..
1 is my garage door the other are ring extenders, nothing that should be chatting to the hub. nothing like temp sensors etc.

my guess is that i just have too many overall devices. around 95 or so.. if that is the case i am not sure what to do.. it is not feasible for people to rebuild their entire mesh just to get the firmware update.

1 Like

You could have 232 nodes that generate infrequent events, or 10 nodes that generate as many events as 232 nodes. It's not the size of the mesh, but how noisy it is.

2 Likes

Everyone was able to upgrade in beta.. This error is from an underlying silabs component.. If you get this reboot, wait plenty of time for everything to settle and try again..

3 Likes

Also after you get to z-wave details page wait a minute or 2 before clicking on the button.. Loading this page causes a lot of calls to the underlying components to get all the information.

2 Likes

did not work waiting on the details page.. said unable to start or something.. rebooting now.

instead of removing and repairing devices maybe just take the batteries out of all my temp sensors etc. and try again? i unplugged all the ring extenders and the other couple of s2 devices.

This should not be necessary.. No one had to do this in beta..

3 Likes

I got to 54% and then I got the failed message. I guess I will reboot and let things sit for a while and try again.

Same issue with me. Will send hub ID. About 15 S2 devices.

Success! @bcopeland's statement that the z-wave details page has a lot of underlying calls which may require a wait got me convinced to try one more time. I opened the z-wave details page, waited a solid 5 minutes, and then updated the firmware. I sat really, really, really still, not triggering motion sensors or toggling switches at all (although my wife was still moving around, I could see it in the logs). Went through to 100% and I now have 7.17.1 on the hub. I still have the issue that most of my Zooz switches are included with S2, but I'll fix that another day.

5 Likes

Give it about 24 hours for the mesh to re-route and see how they perform tomorrow.. There should be a good bit of improvement.. Now it's still always better to have non-secure.. But it should be improved at least..

4 Likes

This worked for me as well. Third time is the charm. It is hard to be patient.

2 Likes

Mine completed too after a reboot and sitting on the Z-wave details page for 30 minutes.
67 nodes, 13 S2, and 2 S0 devices.

1 Like

same here updated 96 devices. cold reboot with removing power and waiting on the zwave details page for like 5 minutes.. probably 15 minutes total after reboot.

is there anywhere were it actually shows the firmware version on the web interface?

next hurdle is hub in remote house.. weill give the new firmware a few days to test and let the dust settle. luckly i also have a wifi switch so i can cold boot that hub when necessarY AFTER shutting down.

also need to plug in and update by backup hub with no devices lol

1 Like

You can use this endpoint:

http://hubitat.local/hub/zwaveVersion

This is what the output looks like:

3 Likes

so no reboot is necessary after firmware update? It kicks over immediately to the new firmware?

1 Like

Correct.

3 Likes

Update successful here, I have about 40 Z-wave devices. Took about 10 mins to install.

2 Likes