Cannot connect z-wave devices to new C-7

I have a new C-7 and I have update both Z-Wave and the Firmware. I was able to add one Zigbee Thermostat and one z-wave button plug. I cannot add any other devices and have tried multiple. I have set the devices right next to the hub after factory reset and still no luck. I have done exclusion first and then inclusion. Nothing ever gets found. I am trying one device at a time and no luck. Ready to ship it back to Amazon and buy a hub that works.

Check the country setting. Also, do an exclude on the other devices before you do an include.

1 Like

Thanks - Country setting is US.

When you exclude devices, does the exclusion event show up in the logs?

Did you purchase the C-7 new from Amazon? Or from the secondary market?

3 Likes

If you were able to include one device and is working as expected, that means the hub is very unlikely to be the problem. What other devices did you try and couldn't include? Make and model might help.

3 Likes

I would do a shutdown from settings and pull power for 10+ seconds. All the messing around may have locked up the radio. Then once rebooted check the Settings > Zwave details page and look for a Firmware Update button, if you have that button do the zwave firmware update as this will help greatly. This is still applicable although 7.18 is now the newest: C7 2.3.1 and Z-Wave Firmware 7.17.1

When you the exclusion it should say something along the lines of "Unknown device excluded" and the device should exit exclusion mode (usually LED stops blinking). If even that is not working I would suspect either zwave is crashed or there is a problem with the device.

1 Like

EZMultiPli Motion, Temperature & Light (UTH-ZW1410)
Aeotec Range Extender 6 (ZW117-A01)
GE Toggle Switch (Don't have the model)

That's odd. Is the plug still working if you go to device details from Devices page and switch on/off? Can you post a screenshot of your Z-Wave Details page from Settings? And last but not least, as @aaiyar previously mentioned, do you get a visual confirmation when you exclude a device before trying to include it stating that an "unknown device was excluded"?

Also, please send me a private message with your hub's MAC address (there is a sticker on the hub itself). We would like to check your hub's engineering log to make sure that you are not dealing with some kind of hardware malfunction.

There is never anything in the z-wave logs and when I run exclusion it just stops after 30 seconds. I never gat a message.

Plug still works.

Firmware is up to date. Never a message when Exclusion is run.

Purchased new from Amazon. Logs never show info.

Yeah, based on the Z-Wave Details page everything looks good. This is puzzling. If you don't get the exclusion message, it means that the device isn't seeing the hub. If the hub was not seeing devices, you wouldn't be able to include any devices. I would try to include the Aeotec range extender and the GE switch again. Connect to your hub's web interface from a browser (not mobile app) then go to Devices >> Add Device then select Z-Wave and then perform the exclusion. You must get the "unknown device was excluded" before attempting to run the exclusion.

1 Like

You should at least get a message indicating the hub is entering exclusion mode. And that will happen whether the zwave radio is working or not.

If you donโ€™t see that message, I suspect your browser. Use a supported browser like Chrome or Safari.

Edit- please look at the general logs and not the zwave logs.

1 Like

Nothing that I see in the general logs. Also using chrome and still no message after exclusion is complete. Just ends.

Everything I am doing is from a browser - either edge or chrome. When I click Start Exclusion it runs for 30s but no message.

I believe this is where to look for the message unless something has changed. I would keep a general logs tab open just to watch it for errors (ex ZWave is Busy) but the "Unknown Device Excluded" should show up on the exclusion pop up from what I remember.

Also be aware some devices that only have a single button the same press combo is used for inclusion AND exclusion mode. So if the device is factory reset it may be refusing to go into exclusion mode and only entering inclusion mode. Sometimes its not possible to tell which one it is in, unless it works the same either way? Seemed like some of my devices would go into inclusion first and then if you did the button sequence again they go into exclusion the second time.

Using the GE toggle switch would be the best way to eliminate this possibility, I think it should have two different button sequences so you can be sure you are going into exclusion mode. Device LED should usually flash if you have gotten it into exclusion mode. If LED is not flashing try again.

Did you ever pull power on the hub for 10+ seconds to allow the zwave radio to fully power down and restart?

@user6759 Run the factory reset on all devices not pairing. Please make sure if you have another hub with z-wave that it is completely powered off. Run a normal pairing (not by brand, just set the device in pairing mode and hit z-wave pair) See if that helps. The fact that you were able to pair another device shows the hubitat radio is working.

Update - The device was originally in my vacation home. In order to eliminate all variables I brought it home where all automation is WIFI - No Zigbee or Z-Wave. I factory reset the Aeotec Range Extender 6 and verified in the manual that it was factory reset by the color. So now nothing running but the Hubitat Hub and the Aeotec Range Extender 6. Ran exclusion and then inclusion and nothing found. Nothing in the logs exept "Z-Wave Inclusion timed out, status:7".

Aeotec Range Extender 6 Manual

Screenshot 2023-10-01 170059 v2