Z-Wave glitch

We're they older non-plus devices by chance?

Nope. Plus all plus devices.

They may have an issue with network wide exclusion though.

Should never really be needed with current firmware versions, it would be extremely rare to have zwave database corruption and needing a radio reset. I have never seen it come down to that on the forums anyway except for impatient people who do it before asking questions.

3 Likes

I am not bothered by the work required to restore things.
I am annoyed with the original problem that plugged-in devices stopped communicating. My Z-Wave worked for 2 weeks (the hub was a Christmas present). My rules had worked fine for weeks.

Its impossible to know what happened exactly, but sometimes you will get one wonky zwave device that wreaks havoc and causes so much traffic it overloads the radio firmware until it locks up. The fix is to power it off for a minute and then boot up again. If it keeps happening then you try to narrow it down to what device it is and remove it or fix it by adjusting settings.

Same thing could happen with a Wifi router, takes a little more to overwhelm one but I have seen it happen. Same fix as well, unplug and reboot.

With the most current zwave radio firmware these issues have been greatly diminished. Double check you do not have the "Update Firmware" button available on your Zwave details page. If the button is there you have an update. These instructions are still good but the version they mention is not current anymore: C7 2.3.1 and Z-Wave Firmware 7.17.1

2 Likes

You don't have any zooz 4-in-1's or zooz zen-25's do you? Next time that happenes, shut down the hub from the settings menu. When the light on the hub turns red, unplug power to it (at the wall not the hub) for a few minutes and power back up.

1 Like

Nope no 4 in 1. Two Zooz -- a ZSE42 water sensor and a ZSE43 garage tilt/shock.
My setup is pretty basic. Three Aeotec door sensors on closets. Three Jasco AC switches for the closets. (This was the whole reason for the C7, and is what failed today).
A Jasco outlet to play with a Aeotcc ZW189 extender to cover the garage with Z-wave

After you get all the devices rejoined, one suggestion is to post a screenshot of your z-wave details from the settings page. The gurus here may find something that needs to be addressed.

4 Likes

@kanewolf This is an excellent suggestion. It is possible your original issue was caused by zwave ghosts. They are a pain but can be dealt with. They can occur as a result of a partial zwave inclusion and can cause symptoms like the ones you describe.

2 Likes

This is a screen shot with about 12 hours of no changes. All AC powered devices are set to be hubs. All battery powered devices are NOT set as hubs.

I'm not familiar with setting devices to be hubs or not. Can you be more specific?

Any reason why you're using S2 authenticated security? It's generally used with security devices like locks but not so often with internal doors or switches. It's not nearly as bad as S0 but it does add overhead that may not be needed.

1 Like

There is an option in for each device "Hub Mesh Enable" that allows them to be relays for weak transmitters. I have the Mesh Enable turned ON for all AC powered devices.
I have S2 enabled but not S2 class 2 (Access control) Just S2 Class 0 and 1. That is the default that is provided from the DSK QR code.

Ah ok. That actually does something unrelated to ZWave. It makes them available to be shared across HEs using the Hub Mesh app. Hub mesh is a LAN-based protocol not dependent on zwave. The nomenclature is a bit confusing. By default any zwave line powered device will repeat, any battery powered device will not.

Understand that S2 is the default. I was suggesting that you add them without S2 at all. Your call, just reduces overhead.

3 Likes

Yeah, that is a confusing term. Using "mesh" for devices that are in an RF mesh, to mean a LAN protocol. Not great.

Just to add to @brad5 's comments....I don't see any ghosts and your RTT and signal strengths (LWR RSSI) look good. As @brad5 states, it is your call whether to exclude and include without S2. The only way to change this is to exclude and include without security. I would understand if you don't want to do this now with all the work you have done recently to get to where you are. Just keep it in mind when you include any new devices.....it is usually recommended to use S2 only on devices such as locks and garage door openers.

2 Likes

I really don't understand this. My research says that S2 is a less chatty implementation and for Z-Wave Plus devices, especially the 700 series, it is beneficial.

Less chatty than its predecessor S0, yes absolutely.

1 Like

S2 is less chatty compared to the old S0. S2 does add some overhead. Your call if you want or need this security. You might do a search on this forum for " is S2 needed".

I believe S2 is the default because of the SDK from Silabs.

3 Likes

Take a look at this... I am not enough of an expert to know whether it is 100% accurate in every detail but it is interesting for sure.