Ghost Devices?

Hi everyone, it's me again. Looks like my adventures continue and this time it looks like I may have some ghost devices. Does anyone know how I can get rid of them? I found some posts where they recommended refreshing the devices until Z-wave details to get the remove button, which I have done and got the button. But clicking on the remove button doesn't do anything.

Any guidance is appreciated.

You need to power down the devices that created the ghosts. (disconnect power or remove battery) then shut down the hub, unplug from the wall (not the hub) for 5 mins and power back up and then try removing. If that does not work, you will need a z-wave stick for removal

1 Like

Thank you. Will try that right now. The device has been disconnected for a while so hopefully the hub shutdown will do the trick. Will post back with a update.

Thanks

Few suggestions:

1. Make sure you've updated the Z-Wave firmware.
  2. Try to refresh then hit remove more than once.
1 Like

Thanks Bobby, will try that as well.

Will report back.

Perry

No luck @bobbyD. Firmware was already updated and the remove button is still not working. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Perry

Are you sure you have removed power from the devices that are associated w/the ghosts? That is the most important step in ghost removal - the devices the ghosts are based on must be disconnect from power.

1 Like

Are you seeing "busy messages" in your live logs when you try to remove a node?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

@danabw , yes I'm sure the power has been removed from the device. I have the motion sensor in a box :smiley:

@bobbyD it looks like I did get a busy message for one of the ghost devices i wanted to removed (I have 3 - 2A, 2B, and 2C). Screenshot below:

Please disregard the Server Room and VMS log :slight_smile:

Am I don't something wrong with the removal process?

Thank you again everyone!

Perry

FYI - If you click on the “sys:1” text, it will filter out everything else. :slight_smile:

As you see on the Logs, 2 of them are no longer in the failed table, so those cannot be removed by the hub. And likely because they are unresponsive, they prevent the third from being removed.

Thanks @bobbyD so does that mean I need a z stick or something similar to get rid of them as recommended by @rlithgow1 ?

Give it time until the radio moves them back to failed, or use a non-certified Z-Wave stick to forcefully remove them. The beauty of beign certified doesn't always pays off, unfortunately, especially when requirements get in the way of getting things done faster.

Thanks again @bobbyD. Do you know how long it normally takes for the radio to reset? This is my first (three) ghost devices and I just read how much havoc ghost devices can do to a network :sweat_smile:. Appreciate your help.

I was in a similar boat a while back, couldn't remove 2 ghosts. What worked for me was taking my hubitat to a friends house (miles away) and easily removed them there.

1 Like

You can also try wrapping your hub in tin foil (seriously) to foil (see what I did there?) it's attempts to connect to local devices. :slight_smile:

Thank you @JoeJ and @danabw. Would the foil suggestion still work if the device isn’t transmitting anymore? I have it in a bit without the battery installed and it’s not plugged in. I’m just curious but I’ll give anything a try :sweat_smile:.

I also ordered a zooz z stick (zst 10) just in case I would need to try to forcibly remove it as recommended by @bobbyD

Thanks

Foil can work as it blocks the hub from pinging the device (or any device) and then it will come up as failed and the hub can remove it. I've never done it that way, but I've seen others (can't remember who, but maybe @thebearmay, or @Sebastien, or ??) recommend it.

Guilty as charged...:sunglasses:

1 Like

Yup, I’ve tried putting my hub in foil and then in a sauce pan to try to remove a device. I even tried taking it out for a drive! That was several platform and Z-Wave firmware versions ago…

1 Like