One year later: My love for Hubitat is melting

Will only run Arm version of Windows I think - not sure if that is compatible..

https://www.parallels.com/eu/products/desktop/resources/#requirements

1 Like

Correct. But many (most?) x86 applications now run on Windows for ARM.

30 posts were split to a new topic: Discussion about hub performance

No answer at all (not even an acknowledgement email), or a response that said "our engineers are looking into this"? Maybe your emails went to the spam folder and nobody realized it? That has happened in the past.

This forum is probably majority North American. So people aren't familiar with certain devices, or don't feel comfortable answering questions about devices we don't have here. Not sure why you didn't get replies to your topics, but that could be part of it.

The Zwave hasn't really changed in a long while. It is due for an update, hopefully it passes Beta testing and will be rolled out to users soon. I don't think they changed any of these drivers either.

Yes this. Maybe we can spot something going on.

5 Likes

I see that my original post has wandered into different ares but, as several of you have asked for, here is mu zwave-details page in 3 screenshots.
These are the devices that are working and are all found when doing a Z-wave-repair.
You will see one or two fibaro wall plugs: when I said that they don't work anymore since a few months, I meant that the only working function is on/off. No power and energy reporting. As I have several automations based on the power consumption of devices like TV/Audio/Dishwasher etc, they stopped working without any change from me, just because the power was not reported anymore.

1 Like

@wienog @bcopeland is the Hubitat z-wave guru if you do as he asks and explain your issues I'm sure he will get you sorted.

2 Likes

Could possibly be a driver issue.. Which model is this and what driver is it using?

1 Like

Where did you source this information from ?

2 Likes

I updated mine to router firmware from the develop branch. They seem to be working very well but itโ€™s hard to quantify; one device (Iris contact sensor) used to occasionally miss a closed event and this hasnโ€™t happened since, even with adding 6 more contact sensors when i added the 3 dongles.

2 Likes

The model number is FGWPE/F - 101 which is the 'French' version of the standard European 'Schuko'-type plug. At the time France wanted to protect it's own electronucs industry by demanding a proprietary plug, same as the British with their ridiculously big plug. But the electronics of the French (and 90 % of the plug itself) is absolutely identical with the standard EU "Schuko"-model. That is NOT the case for the British versions which was marketed many years after the EU version and which has an incorporated USB-port. It's the driver for this British model (FGWP/B-120-121) that is built in in r=the Hubitat. Problem is that this works ONLY with the British model, not with the mainstream EU-models. Probably the Hubitat developers don't realize that. I sent them several messages to report the problem but the only thing I got was an acknowledgment of reception but never an answer.

This is the latest figure I have and is for 2019. The source is....Fibaro itself, so I know that one can doubt these data but other data in the same sheet seemed to correlate well with other sources.
Fact is that Fibaro was (by far) the most important supplier of Z-wave devices in Europe until they were acquired by Nice, a move that benefited the wallet of the founders of the Fibarogroup but was the beginning of the end for the users who had considered Fibaro as a trutsworthy supplier for end-users. Right now Fibaro hubs can only be successfully installed by professional installers, unless you have the skills and will to code your home-automation yourself.

Thanks Boris, I just replied to him...

Hey neonturbo,

Thanks for your reply.

I DID get an acknowledgement of my messages to support but that was the last I heard , never an answer to the question.

For the forum, yes, I think the fact that North-America is the origin of the majority is one of the causes. I just wonder what the plans of Hubitat are: they are strongly promoted by some European domotics-stores but that should be followed up with a regular chack of the European market to see if Hubitat is still a goodcoice for Europeans too or not.

Hey Bryan,

I told the story about the Fibaro wall plugs in an earler reply to you. An other example are the Fibaro motion sensors; both zwave and zwaveplus versions are sometimes very diificult if not downright impossible to include an this in a random way: some of them are included very fast and are working fine, others can never be included, still others will include but don't report motion or very erratically: they go to 'active' and stay there for hours and hours while nobody is home and then suddenly after 8 or 9 hours return to 'inactive'. And, as I said, others work normally. I must say I changed my Netgear Nighthawk Router to a RS750 Netgear mesh system that has a every powerful 'backhaul' connection between the satellites. So I uncoupled the Orbi mesh system and put back my Nighthawk router but that didn't chenge anything. Which was to be expected as the problems with the wall plugs and the motion sensors started BEFORE I installed the Netgear Mesh system.

Hey Neonturbo,

You see: this topic is ,a perfect illustration of it's own title ("my love for Hubitat melting away"). We are several weeks further now and what have we got ? Several replies from people who wanted to help but didn't follow up on their initial good intentions, the topic was also hijacked by other persons discussing some completely unrelated techincal nerd-issues, absolutely no input from hubitat staff and members with 'special knowledge' about things didn't answer anymore after I gave them the extra information they asked for. So, that's why my enthusiasm is further melting and I ordered an other hub just a few days ago.

@wienog this sounds a prime example of a weak z-wave mesh along with.

A driver is nothing to do with the join process or really even Hubitat. That's all handled by silicon labs firmware with Hubitat providing the UI and responses. Have you updated to the latest release though and update that firmware, if not already I would advise you do. For me it has improved loads of things even though because I have so many powered devices I didn't have a "problem". But everything works faster and the device are not constantly moving around and randomly missing a event.

@bcopeland can you assist with his question on the driver though and the lack of support for the EU version apparently.

Personally I have had similar experiences with fibaro stuff like the dimmer 2 it's never fully been supported but think that's because it's not used much/ at all in USA

A correlation between the Wi-Fi network and the poor performance of Z-Wave network is not causation. Based on the details provided above, as others indicated, the symptoms are those of an overloaded mesh. As @bcopeland pointed out earlier, the problems may be related to the drivers.

Our engineers have tested different versions of the models you own, so there is highly likely that they run different firmware versions than those that we have tested.

In the ideal world, a manufacturer wouldn't produce different versions of the same basic model, but more often than not, big companies like Fibaro are known to release variations of the same model that are different enough to cause problems - another company that comes to mind is Schlage.

Using models that have been tested by our engineers, is the best way to avoid any issues. Sending us devices so that our engineers can test and adjust drivers based on the firmware variation, is another way.

Of course if enough customers report problems with a specific model that is running a different firmware, then our engineers run out and purchase the specific model so they can adjust the driver (or remove the model altogether from the List of Compatible devices, which happened to Schlage locks).

I am not sure if @bcopeland was able to find the specific version you have, so I'll let him provide an update on that.

P.S. if you didn't update to the latest version of the Z-Wave firmware, please do so as soon as possible. It has been confirmed to significantly improve the Z-Wave perfomance in busy environments.

2 Likes

If you have any specific models that are not supported properly.. The best method is to have the manufacturer send us an engineering sample for us to write a proper driver. We receive devices from manufacturers all over the world, but they tend to send only their latest models.

2 Likes

We are happy to support anything, but need the device in hand to properly write a driver.

5 Likes

I haven't really seen it mentioned here but it possibly contributing to your issues. I see that some of the devices that are showing LWR RSSI, have a very low signal, as in negative. Missed messages, and re-acks can really hamper your mesh. Routing through a bunch of weird paths because of low signal can make it even worse. The LWR RSSI stat is cleared after a reboot.

If you haven't already, update the firmware for the zwave radio? There will be a button to do so up by "Z-Wave Topology". After that, can you go and manually trigger the devices that aren't showing an LWR RSSI to repopulate them and post the screenshots again?

2 Likes