[Deprecated] Web Pinger

Introducing 'Web Pinger'
Monitor a website and trigger automations if not found or if your internet goes down.

HE introduced a built in Ping function. Instead of re-writing this app, I'm adding it in to Event Engine.

Thanks to Jason Botello for the original 2016 (ST) 'SmartPing' idea that I based this app off of.

Features:

• Turns on a Switch(es) when website is not found or internet is down
  • Option to send Pushover and/or Flash Lights when website is not found
  • Option to send Pushover and/or Flash Lights when website is available again
  • Set time between polls from 30 seconds to 59 minutes
  • Adjustable Safety Net to avoid false alarms
  • Flashing lights require 'The Flasher'
  • Parent/Child App structure
  • Create as many child apps as needed

Apps can be found on my GitHub or by using the Hubitat Package Manager.
(HPM is highly recommended)

When reporting problems...

• Be sure you are on the latest version. I won't troubleshoot an older version.
  • Turn on debug and screenshot the issue happening in the log. One line or just the error doesn't cut it. I need a log.
  • Post the screenshot of the log with an explanation of the problem.

Thanks

18 Likes

This is really nice. Exactly what I was looking for. I have a webcam that is connected via a PowerLine adapter and once in a while that adapter will go to sleep and I will be unable to access the camera. Disabling sleep mode on the adapter has not worked.

I do have one question though. The ping interval is set from 5 - 59 minutes. I assume I can just change this to suit my needs (2 min) ? Will it have any negative impact to the hub to do this ?

Thanks, glad you found a use for the app.

I've never pinged anything that quickly so I wouldn't know if it'll slow down the hub or not. All I can suggest is that you give it a try and see what happens!

Feel free to go into the code and change, modify, enhance or anything else you would like to do. It's your system, have fun with it. Let us know how it goes. :grin:

1 Like

Thanks, I will try it when I am on location to see if things have an affect. Would be nice to see the CPU/MEM usage of the hub while running a task to identity potential issues.

Hello.
I just wanted to thank you for this app.
I intend on using it to check if my thermostat (ecobee) is up or down.
Question: Is it possible to put in the ability to trigger a SMS text message instead of a Pushover?
(In case Internet is down).
Thanks in advance.

If your internet is down then HE won’t be able to send a SMS.

Actually not if the internet is down, but rather if the link between my ecobee and ecobee.com is down.

This is just a very simple app to turn a device on/off. You can base any automations/messaging off of that device. So you could use RM to send the sms when the device turns off.

Also remember that sms has a limit of 10 messages a day, where as Pushover is unlimited.

thanks

You might want to check out this driver too...

I haven't used it but looks like it might fit what your trying to do.

1 Like

How would I install this app ?

Go to the link in 1st post. Instructions can also be found there.

Thanks

So, have you thought about a websocket ping/pong? Also, this would actually be a great addition to Device Watchdog imho. I'm not sure if HE supports a network type in the Device object (I haven't looked), but it would be a neat report to have where it icmp pings or ws ping/pongs devices along with the other checks. :wink:

I figured out how to install third party app reading some other threads.

I installed the parent app.

I installed the child app.

I set up a child ping rule to a local device with a push notification after 5 min.

I turned the local device off.

Never got the notification that the pings stopped.

What kind of device are you pinging?

Its an iPhone with an IP that is statically set in the my router.

I was also running a ping test from my computer which did stop when the iPhone was powered off.

Hmmmm, can you post your logs of the app and also a screen cap of the notification rule?

Try this... [UPDATED] iPhone WiFi Presence Sensor

1 Like

That looks cool and I will definitely check it out. The iPhone was just the first test I setup. I am wanting to ping other things in my network and get notifications when they stop responding. It would also be cool to have a tile that would change color on the dashboard. Also shorter internvals for ping would be cool.

Hi. Thanks for this app.

I'm assuming that where it says Pushover notification it's no longer limited to this form of notification. It lists my mobile (which runs the Hubitat app) and where I don't use the Pushover service at all.

Can you please confirm? And if so maybe you might want to change the wording.

Cheers.

That's right, any place that says pushover should also be able to send to the new HE notifications.

Try it! Half the fun of home automation is trying new stuff.

As I update apps I change the wording, not going to every app and updating just for that. :sunglasses: