Diagnostic icmp Ping

Most systemd have ping so we can insure that devices and other systems are reachable.
A simple enter the IP/URL and ping it a couple times would assist hugely with installations that are having issues connecting to various devices across network segmetns .
A traceroute utility would also be quite useful

1 Like

Check out this community app. I haven't used it though.

1 Like

Ya I was looking at that but for diagnostic purposes it is killing a gnat with a sledgehammer.
Its bulky, it constatnly runs in the background and changing the desitination is not as simple as it should be for a diag tool.
basically, enter a url / IP address, ping it 5 times and report the resultant times back (like a command line ping) simple connectivity diag

This is a wish list item for me also. A simple ping to an IP would be a nice management tool to determine an outage or a action. Ping is universal, Web query is bulky with TCP.

1 Like

The incorporation of PING (ICMP) support in Hubitat would be greatly appreciated. The issue with the current options for presence detection including @bptworld Web Pinger and @jwetzel1492 iPhone Presence detection is that they use HTTP GET. This may work reliably for web sites but a simple PING test would be great for LAN device detection.

I have recently segmented my home network. I have enabled he ability of PING requests to traverse my IoT and secure networks but I do not want to allow HTTP traffic to mitigate security risks. I do believe this should be core Hubitat functionality.

1 Like