Most Popular devices for Water Damage Prevention in 2023

If you'd like to nominate a specific water sensor that works with Hubitat Elevation, and exceeded your expectations this year, in terms of reliability and ease of use (it doesn't have to be released in 2023), please drop a comment below* with the make and model of your favorite device.

The products (comments) that receive most likes will be selected for the top 5 Most Popular Water Sensors in 2023.

Please use this thread to add comments and feedback to any of the nominees: [Comments & Feedback] Most Popular Water Sensors in 2023

*NOTE : please use the comments below to nominate one product/reply. If you'd like to nominate multiple devices, please add a comment for each product.

Comments that do not nominate a product or duplicates will be removed from the thread.

If you share a link to a product, please clearly disclose affiliate links, otherwise the link will be removed.

Other 2023 categories:

1 Like

Aeotec Water Leak Sensor, ZigBee, Battery Powered GP-AEOWLSUS

3 Likes

Iris 3315-L by Centralite

2 Likes

THIRDREALITY Zigbee Water Leak Sensor with Dripping Detection

8 Likes

Samsung/Smart Things Water Leak Sensor (GP-U999SJVLCAA - Zigbee)
I have (12) of these and have been flawless since 2017.

4 Likes

Samsung SmartThings Water Leak Sensor sts-wtr-250 which was also made by Centralite and the same as the Iris 3315-L.

I have 20 installed since 2017. Batteries last over a year but only gripe is % reporting is terrible since they will last months reporting 0%.

2 Likes

Sinope Water leak detector with perimeter cable

This one has probably been around and been given a thumbs up in prior ratings....but I'm convinced Sinope did this one right; made it perfect for the base of a "water wall" in a kitchen or elsewhere and made it so it just sips power.

BUT IT'S SIGNIFICANTLY overpriced...that is until you have a leak that it catches.

1 Like

Neo Coolcam w/pigtail. Its pigtail sensor allows multiple different use-cases for placement of the main puck and the remote sensor, and @kkossev's excellent driver is available.

You can even extend the pigtail sensor length if you need a longer run using a cheap 2.5mm audio cable extender (I added a 25' cable to mine to reach a remote steam generator in the attic). Available on Walmart and Ali:

Drivers:

3 Likes

Zooz Zse42

6 Likes

Ecolink Zwave Plus Flood & Freeze Sensor (FLF-ZWAVE5-ECO)

3 Likes

Aqara water leak sensor. One of the few sensors that makes it easy to add external sensing connectors. I use them with pressure pads & float sensors & they work like a charm. Even stay connected to HE unlike many of their Zigbee sensors.

2 Likes

Sinope Smart Water Valve: VA4220ZB-P01 (Though the P01 is optional…)

3 Likes

I like my Zooz Titan valve. It can have battery backup, can periodically exercise itself, is very easy to install, has freeze and water sensors built in. Plus, it's Z-Wave. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Moen Flo. May not be officially integrated, but the community integration works well and has allowed me to use HSM with my variety of leak sensors to control the valve, rather than needing to purchase the expensive and very large Moen WiFi leak sensors.

1 Like

Bulldog Z-wave water shut off valve. Bulldog Valve Robot

Zooz ZSE42 Leak Sensor.
It is tiny 1.9” x 1” x 0.3” and gets about a year of battery life out of a single CR2032 battery. My one complaint is that they are not dog resistant! I have had a couple of them chewed up by my dog who finds them behind a toilet. They both continue to work with a chewed up corner, though,

They have updated it with an 800 series Z-Wave chip but I don't have any of those. It is slightly larger and uses a CR2450 battery and is IP66 water rated for some outdoor applications, although I doubt the water resistance would stand up to my dog's teeth!

Pricing is good compared to many other sensors, List price is under $30 but I bought most of mine during a black Friday sale for under $20 each, but usually are available for under $25. I pair it with the Zooz Titan water valve (also highly recommended) in HSM to protect against a major water leak.

1 Like

Ha, I have a dog-chewed Z42 too -- it was the only one he could access pretty easily (behind washing machine), and he sure enough found it... Still worked overall, but it started ripping thru batteries fast after that :man_shrugging:

I recently replaced my Z42s with the newer model -- much better waterproofing and the bigger battery is welcome. Due to those 2 things, it is slightly larger than the original.

I doubt it's much sturdier in the jaws of a labrador, but I now have that one blocked off better too.

1 Like