For those of you with a NAS, especially QNAP brand, I wanted to share ways that I am utilizing my NAS for various integrations. I don't have any familiarity with other NAS brands like Synology but I understand that many support Docker containers so these may be possible on those devices as well. Feel free to comment with other ways you are using your NAS for HE integrations.
- UPS Integration - I have a UPS connected via USB to my NAS. When power outages occur, I wanted the ability to automate shutting down of devices within my home via my Web Power Switch as well as shut down my multiple HE hubs gracefully. This integration polls the QNAP NUT Server for status on a set interval. Huge thank you to @guyeeba for posting a RPi driver on the community that inspired me to create my own version for use with my NAS and @stephack for helping me test this driver! You can find the driver code and instructions here:
NUT-UPS-Monitor/README.md at master · HubitatCommunity/NUT-UPS-Monitor · GitHub
- NodeRed - there are several posts on this Community on how to setup NodeRed on RPis such as this one but QNAP has a QIoT Suite feature that includes NodeRed. QIoT requires that your QNAP NAS supports/handles Container Station (aka Docker Containers) in order to enable this feature. Once setup you can automate things via NodeRed. I have the following integrations as an example:
- Every night at 4 AM a flow downloads the HE backups of my 3 hubs and puts it in a folder on my NAS.
- Connection to the HE web socket to log events into InfluxDB and Grafana as well as SQL server
- Using QNAP QcalAgent (which downloads my Google Calendar) check for specific calendar event descriptions and if an event is found turn on/off virtual switches within HE. I then have Rules that are restricted based on the state of these virtual switches.
- Container Station Containers:
I am happy to answer any questions you may have but I wanted to foster ideas on how to better utilize features on your NAS.