Hub process slowdown after several days

I've long wondered about this too. Telnet is an "always open" connection rather than on-demand.

Why would there be telnet sessions open???

LJ

Yes, it is based on experience and I can't prove it based on the evidence to make a scientific claim out of it. Neither does your approach though.

My house is not as big as you might think but I have a pretty robust setup right now that I am happy with AND my wife doesn't complain about. And as Bruce rightfully said last Hubitat Live episode, WAF is what we aim for.

The most important statement of my original post was:

I showed my additional data and statements as a backup to my statement. It was surely not meant as a complaint or concern for something to fix.

1 Like

I have several:
Lutron Caseta Pro Hub
Denon Receiver
Onkyo Receiver
UPS integration

First three are stock drivers and last is a custom driver.

Didn't know those use telnet.

I have a yamaha receiver. Is that telnet?

What UPS are you integrating? and Why? Let's not hijack this but I would be interested in knowing. You can private message me.

LJ

To get power notifications. It’s actually via my NAS. You can read about that here:

1 Like

I use Node-Red that listens to the eventsocket and posts the data to an Influx database and use Grafana for the graphing. You can find more here:

Yes, I have done that and yes, it appear to have an felt impact. I have no data to back that statement up so take it with a grain of salt. In addition, it is usually a temporary measure like a reboot.

2 Likes

Okay...So, are you saying that moving to multiple hub and segregating devices by radio is the answer then?

Then likely not worth effort.

Thanks,
LJ

I can definitely say that it made a HUGE impact in my setup and in my environment . Prior to separating, I would have never thought of running the automations that I am running now. And my WAF increased significantly.

BUT, as in bold above, this is my environment and in my setup

I can agree with this 100%. This is more or less what I ended up doing too - instead of buying more Hubitats, I just moved all Z-wave to HS and kept Zigbee on Hubitat. Never been happier with the results.

IMO, there's a critical limit to how many devices/integrations/apps etc. that Hubitat can handle smoothly. It's not very clear what this limit is, but as a general rule of thumb, if you're on this thread complaining you probably have hit this limit and you have two options: buy more hubs or offload half of the functionality to an external box.

Totally understand. More info is more data and more data is always good. Especially with something as wacky as the slowdowns seem to be. Who knows what little nugget might lead to a Eureka moment, right? How many devices do you have on each (z-wave/zigbee) approximately?

Zwave: around 30 or so
Zigbee: around 50 or so

More Lutron devices and hue bulbs but those are connected to the coordinator hub

And just to show how happy I am with my current setup, I use Motion Lightning where my motion sensors are on my Zigbee hub, connected via HubConnect to my Coordinator hub that talks to my Hue bridge to turn on my Hue bulbs and usually have the lights turned on in around 200 ms - 300ms!

I am only using 3 custom apps, HubConnect and Hubduino. I have 3 hubs, one of those is dedicated to the abundance of cheap OSRAM lights purchased on clearance. I have disabled Hubduino, with no change in the slowdowns. I am in process of moving to Hublink to eliminate HubCinnect as a problem, but this is a painstakingly arduous task. Every other app is a stock app. I haven’t gotten too crazy with any other add-ins or automations, because I saw this slowdown starting to happen, so I backed off of the throttle. I am close to trying the Homeseer option for control and using HE for devices, don’t want to, it also don’t want to repair the system every few days.

Okay. I do have to (jokingly) take issue with your previous statement:

Unless you're lighting up each room to be as bright as the sun or have 6 motion sensors per room, you HAVE to have a pretty big house. :wink: Again...just teasing.

2 Likes

That's pretty damn fast.

It is. That's when my wife stopped complaining :wink:

It’s middle of the road I suppose. TP-Link SG105e. I suppose it might have just been the routers default settings that were causing problems. It has been working since I changed them. I’m just paranoid about it now.

About everything?!? Doesn't that violate some fundamental law of physics or something? I thought it was like mass/energy, complaints don't ever get destroyed they just get redirected towards something else. :wink:

4 Likes

No, she still complains about me but not about my home automation stuff anymore :rofl:

4 Likes