Whats a good sized UPS for me?

Hey y'all,
just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a good brand (if they were sold in aus that would prob be a bonus) and good size UPS to have my HE, modem and Synology attached to. Where I live in Queensland we get some pretty savage storms in summer so if I can get this sorted now I wont have to worry about it when the season rolls around.

I'll be "that guy"... What do you mean by good size?

ie: How long do you want these things to last?
Is there actually any "size" requirement for it (to fit in a particular place)?
General budget?

1 Like

The Synology is going to drive this. Its current is going to be in Amps, the others will be in milliamps.

APC and Cyberpower have both worked well for me, but because us Yanks are 115VAC 60Hz, our products are not necessarily comparable.

The synology should have a spec on it in Volts & Amps. Most UPS units have an Amp Hours rating. Figure out the length of a "typical" Power outage, them multiply the Amps the Synology uses by the time you determine to get Amp Hours. Compare that to the UPS units youre looking at, and you should be able to select one that comes close.

More is generally better in terms of Amp Hours...and more costly, heavy, etc.

S.

1 Like

hey snell,
sorry by size I meant battery size. Doesnt have to last longer than 30-45minutes, I guess as long as I could get HE to somehow ping me that something has changed (power has gone out) then I could just externally login and power it all down.
No size requirements / limitations, no.
Budget, well, I can claim it on my tax but it would need to be WAF approved too lol

Spec off the website for the NAS

I think @snell’s point is that batteries don’t have a “size” in the sense that it completely depends on the total current draw of the connected devices and how long you need to power them for.

@scottgu3 has described a way to estimate your needs.

Edit: most ups brand websites can help you calculate how long a given unit will power your devices too, usually based on the wattage I think.

1 Like

Since this UPS will be powering a NAS, I highly recommend you get one that can push out info to a NUT server via USB.

@ritchierich made an awesome driver that I use to monitor power outages and automatically shutdown my hub when the battery drops below a threshold.

QNAP NAS Integrations for UPS Monitoring, NodeRed, Home Bridge, etc

You simply need a UPS and NAS that supports the function. Your Synology probably does. A lot of Cyberpower and APC ups's support this function as well.

2 Likes

Would this one do the trick, it does have a USB port (researching its notification part now)

I believe if it has the Powerchute USB port it should be able to output to the NUT server...but I'm far from an expert on this.

I'm using a CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD. I was lucky to have a compatible Qnap NAS and that UPS that just worked.

1 Like

Here's a website with compatible ups's

https://networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html

It's not all inclusive...even my model isn't listed but works perfectly on my NAS.

1 Like

This 800E looks to be the goods and seems to be listed on the NUT site.

https://networkupstools.org/ddl/Cyber_Power_Systems/Value_800E.html

thats the go-er ?

I’ve been through 3 or so different UPSs over the past 12 years I have had a NAS and they have all been compatible. Mostly APC but did have 1 cyberpower. I will be honest and say I am not a fan of cyberpower. I had one on a stereo in a recent addition that had arc fault breakers (code in US now requires them at least in my area) and that UPS was constantly tripping my arc fault breaker. After doing some research I realized I want the only one with issues. Once I removed it the problem went away. I’ve moved it to another room in my house without arc fault breakers and it’s been fine.

To each their own but I thought I would throw that out there.

2 Likes

The APC looks better but wasnt supported device off of that website.

I’ve never checked that website and mine have always worked in my Qnap. I wouldn’t stress over it not being listed.

1 Like

Sorry - just a follow up from this.
Grab a UPS - plug in my Synology - how do I

1. get notified the power is out (router will be on the UPS too)
  2. shut down my HE remotely ?

This post was pretty helpful for me:

Link to the hubitat driver thread is there, which has instructions on how to use in hubitat.

1 Like

hmm see I dont want to go through all that NodeRed/ Homebridge Etc. If my NAS has a set IP (which is does) and can and does run a NUT server, is there no way to point the HE to that IP for them to exchange that info ?

https://roll.urown.net/NAS/nas-ups.html

You don’t need NodeRed. That post of mine was just describing all the things I am doing with the NAS. Just install the HE driver from Git and point it to your NAS IP.

1 Like

thanks @ritchierich

1 Like

A-Mazing.
Got the APC unit, powered down my NAS, Router, Switch and HE. Plugged the NAS into the APC, set up the UPS and opened up the IP address. Powered on the router / switch & HE. Loaded in the driver, plugged in your code. In the pref put my NAS IP address and bingo ringo - a refresh has the mains power and battery power showing in the settings.
Y'all are amazing at what you do. I really appreciate this and it gives me HUGE piece of mind now with my setup with the time I have invested in it. Thanks You @ritchierich

4 Likes

Awesome happy to hear this solution is working for you. I have a QNAP but suspected this solution would work for the Synology brand as well. Happy to hear it works there as well.

Just a few things to be aware of is the device will automatically pause updates if the NAS is unavailable - this happens to me when I apply firmware updates as an example so make sure you set an appropriate connection failure threshold.