Product of the Year Elevated by Hubitat in 2023

The 2023 Year in Review, would not be complete without voting for the one and only device that exceeded our users' expectations, this year, in terms of reliability and ease of use.

IMG_5081

Is your favorite device not listed in the following top ten?

Be sure to drop a comment below to share what device has made your home smarter in 2023, and perhaps your life a little easier.

3 Likes
  • Lutron Caséta Diva Smart Dimmer
  • Inovelli Smart 2-1 Red Z-Wave 800 Series
  • Zooz ZEN32 800LR Z-Wave 800 Series - Scene Controller
  • Linptech Human Presence Sensor with 24G mmWave Radar
  • Ecobee Smart Thermostat Premium
  • Kasa Smart Plug w/ Energy Monitoring
  • Yale Assure Lock 2 (all modules)
  • Hue White and color ambiance smart bulb - 1100 lm
  • Zooz ZSE42 800LR Z-Wave 800 Series - Water Leak Sensor
  • Sinopé Sedna Smart Water Valve (2nd Gen) Zigbee
0 voters
4 Likes

Inovelli 2-1 Smart Switch (On/Off or Dimmer) - Blue Series - Zigbee

With its good looks characteristic to the Inovelli products, the Blue Series delivered new features based on their community feedback. To me, allowing users to pick between the on/off capability, dimming capability or just simply disabling the actuation, is a really awesome feature.

5 Likes

Aqara Door and Window Sensor P2, Matter Over Thread

Is one of the first Matter over Thread devices that I tried this year. I really like that it can connect seamlessly with different controllers via Matter and it doesn't require an Aqara hub or a cloud connection.

Aqara FP2 Presence (Occupancy) Sensor.

• mmWave radar sensor, able to monitor a room of up to 40 m² (ca. 430 sq ft) and divide them into various zones. Presence at each configured zone can trigger different automations.
  • Ability to detect up to 5 people* simultaneously (not usable in HE yet).
  • Radar sensors possess a high level of precision, allowing them to detect even the slightest movements without producing false positives. Does not require a camera monitoring system, which ensures maximum privacy for users.
  • Supports wall mounting, ceiling installation, and angle adjustment for flexible placement.
  • Integration with HomeKit, Home Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Google Home, IFFT. The automations are fully local when integrated with HomeKit or Home Assistant!
  • Built-in additional light sensor
  • IPX5-rated
10 Likes

While it's a great product, too bad they didn't enable Matter (yet?) so that it can be connected directly to Hubitat Elevation.

Comments on this thread are welcome, so feel free to share your feedback on any of the products mentioned in this thread.

3 Likes

Aqara FP2 integrates locally with HE via Hubitat HomeKit integration (virtual switches).
Hopefully, via Matter ... next year.

4 Likes

The "game changing" overall product category of the year for me in 2023 is mmWave sensors, which closed the loop on my remaining motion lighting automation challenges in home office and bathrooms:

• Home office: Accurately sensing presence of wife sitting rock-still at her desk for many minutes at a time
  • Bathrooms: Accurately sensing presence through shower curtain and glass shower enclosure walls.

The Linptech/Moes 24 GHz mmWave sensor is my mmWave sensor of choice. Like it's design/looks, flexibility provided by its magnetic mount, the fact that its less likely to sense unwanted "ghost presence" of people on the other side of a wall than a 5GHz mmWave sensor, and of course most importantly, its accuracy.

10 Likes

I can add that the Linptech radar sensor (it is not Tuya-specific) could be a good candidate for the first inbuilt Hubitat mmWave Occupancy driver.

11 Likes

Re: FP2:

This is a messy and convoluted work around to integrate all the features into HE - it shouldn’t be considered an integration in any sense. But that is Aqara’s issue and not HE, they need to implement Matter as Bobby said.

3 Likes

Something a little more humble. My nomination is the Skytech fireplace remote. It's for automating a Skytech battery operated fireplace controller. It's not actually smart by itself. It uses any smart plug to control the fireplace.

Inovelli Smart fan/light canopy module. It's been a long time since there was a reliable way to get a Zigbee ceiling fan.

4 Likes

Just a side thought here....

I wonder if you guys might enlighten the User Community with another list;
the Top Ten (or Top Five) device vendors (of 2023 or otherwise) that have been good/easy to work with, committed to success with Hubitat, and overall a good partner when it comes to getting and keeping their devices compatible.

Sure, this might snub some vendors by not being listed.... but I would much rather support vendors that make it easy on you guys to make things work than ones that could care less about Hubitat. @mike.maxwell

EDIT: OK, thinking about this further I guess you'd want to add a "Special Category" of vendors for whom you NEVER have to talk to because what they make ALWAYS works (is compatible with Hubitat) and follows the standards as written.

3 Likes

The Year in Review is driven by Hubitat users' experience. As you may know, we do not endorse one manufacturer over another. We may recommend a device over another, from time to time, but that is based strictly on our personal experience and not on professional relationships.

With that being said, I can see how users might be able to share their experience with a manufacturer based on direct engagement with their support. That is an interesting idea. We will definitely consider it next year.

4 Likes

Aqara temp sensor. I added them to all of my fridges/freezers/kegerators and set up alerts if they get too warm, and added a tile to my dashboard. This stemmed from me being an idiot and leaving my chest freezer unplugged after I moved it, having to throw away a TON of food that spoiled. I now have precautions in place to keep this from happening again. These sensors are cheap, the tape is solid, and the battery life is fantastic. The range is also good as I have them 2 floors away from my hub and out in my garage, and they still report back regularly THRU THE FRIDGE/FREEZER walls, with no interference. Great product!

1 Like

This caught my interest....I haven't had very good success with Aqara sensors staying connected but maybe I'll give the Temp/humidity sensor a try. Which hub are you using?

I assume you are using this sensor?

And this driver?

1 Like

That is the correct sensor I use, but I use the Generic Zigbee Temperature/Humidity Sensor driver.
I use a c7 hub

1 Like

I voted for the zooz scene controller. After 2 years of trying to teach my non tech family about double and triple taps I gave up. They rarely got the timing right and always had to pause before pressing anything trying to remember which tap does what. The scene controller solved all that. I even ordered the engraved buttons that say what they do. "Normal" people just wanna press a button. Triple tapping is not a natural motion and it just doesn't work for some people.

I'd like to see a more attractive scene controller come out. Maybe something back lit with a touch screen that fits a standard light switch box.

2 Likes

I think these look great. I'm not sure if they work great, or with HE. Also, they probably aren't easy for tall people with big hands.

1 Like

When did that come out? I just bought my scene controller a couple months ago and never came upon this one. The button labels are a bit confusing, but it's attractive at least. Thanks.