Hubitat™ SmartThings Integration

The Hubitat SmartThings Integration is a pair of apps that allow devices in a SmartThings system to report their events to Hubitat. This allows for integrating the two systems during migration from SmartThings to Hubitat, or as needed for devices that only work in SmartThings, while the primary system is Hubitat.

The first app is called Hub Link, and is a built-in app in Hubitat. The second app is called Send Hub Events, and is to be installed in the SmartThings system.

The steps to install and activate the SmartThings Integration are as follows:

1. Install Hub Link in your Hubitat system and enter the IP address of your SmartThings hub. The IP address of the SmartThings hub can be found in the SmartThings IDE under My Hubs. The SmartThings hub and the Hubitat Elevation Hub must be on the same lan (and same subnetwork if applicable).

2. Install the Send Hub Events SmartApp in the SmartThings system, by copying the source code from this Github location below (click on the Raw button, then select all and copy). Enter the IP address of your Hubitat Elevation Hub. The IP address of you Hubitat Elevation Hub can be found on the Settings page.

3. Select the devices in your SmartThings system that you want to appear in your Hubitat system. These will primarily be sensor devices. If you need more than one attribute of a sensor in Hubitat, you can use the Omni Sensor selection to select devices that report multiple attributes. When you hit Save for the SmartApp in the ST mobile app, Send Hub Events will send your device selections to Hubitat. Hub Link will create virtual devices for each SmartThing device with the same name as in SmartThings. You can edit the name in Hubitat if you want, but do not edit the Device Network Id, as this is the means by which the two systems identify the device. After you hit Save for the SmartApp, the events for the selected devices will happen in Hubitat for the shadow virtual devices. The virtual devices can by used in Rule Machine or other automations as needed in your Hubitat System.

Important Points

• This is a one way integration. Events that happen in SmartThings are sent to Hubitat. Events that happen in Hubitat are not sent to SmartThings. If you manipulate the virtual shadow device in Hubitat, no corresponding action will occur in SmartThings.

• If you remove one of the selected devices in SmartThings, the shadow virtual device in Hubitat will still exist, but will no longer do anything. You will have to remove it manually in Hubitat. Similarly, if you de-select one of the selected devices in SmartThings, the shadow virtual device in Hubitat will have to be manually removed. If you remove a virtual shadow device in Hubitat, that has no effect on SmartThings, and you should de-select the device from Send Hub Events. If you remove Hub Link, it will attempt to remove all of the created virtual devices. This may fail if any of those devices are still in use in apps in Hubitat.

18 Likes

As a user moving from ST I can say one way is pretty much useless for me. There are devices not yet supported by HE that I need to leave on ST. So I need triggers on HE side to be able to work with them on ST side. Just feedback I think I say a community app which worked both ways....looking for it now.

I have never used this, but there's a lot of experience with it by others here.

It’s called OtherHub.

Yea, thanks guys I found it. Seems I need to install DashBoard first so I need to adjust my plan a little.

1 Like

"Other Hub" allows your Hubitat devices to show up in SmartThings as virtual devices. The nice thing about this integration is that it is bi-directional. If you change a virtual switch in ST, the real switch device in Hubitat is changed as well.

You still need to use "Hubitat SmartThings Integration" to get physical ST devices to show up in Hubitat. This is uni-directional, as you have discovered.

OK so HE devices will be on HE and ST and their state will be correct on both sides. That's good.

I thought Other Hub was going to complete the loop but now I see it doesn't really. HE is both ways but ST is still only one direction.
HE Device <----> ST Virtual
ST Device -----> HE Virtual
Still no
HE Virtual ----->ST

I am sure I can hack around that but it makes the move over more complicated.

I moved devices, and the automations for those devices, from ST to HE a room at a time. I tried to migrate in manageable chunks versus everything at once. However, once I started, I kept going, room after room, until everything that could be moved, was moved. This took less than a week for me. When I was done, I only had a few devices still on ST that could not be migrated to HE (e.g. my Ring Video Doorbell as a motion sensor.) For these stragglers, I am using the official Hubitat SmartThings Integration to have those devices available in HE for my automations.

I originally used the 'Other Hub' integration to allow me to continue using Action Tiles. But now that Hubitat released their Dashboard, I have turned that off as well.

My system has been very stable and responsive. It has been 'fun' as an early adopter of the platform. The Hubitat team has been very helpful and responsive to not only simple support questions, but also to requests for adding significant new features and fixing bugs.

1 Like

I was planing similar however I have several devices no supported so part of my system need to remain on ST which is why I need the cross integration. for example I have an IR AC controller (zxt-120) that I need to port since I wrote the DH, however before I do I will have to leave it on ST. But it is triggered by fibaro temp sensors that are also motion sensors. I use these sensors to control a lot so I want them to move over. I know how to solve this using the current integration and perhaps some virtual devices but just giving an example so you understand my comments.

1 Like

Rise from the dead, I don't have my Hubitat yet (OTW), but I can tell you about an option you might consider.
WebCore (compatible with both ST and HE) can have it's 'Pistons' triggered via a web post.

I wonder if HE can do a post to a URL to have a indirect event.

Apps can certainly send HTTP post and get (including Asynch), and create endpoints. These features also coming to Rule Machine soon.

2 Likes

Can you show a screen shot of Hublink's app detail page? Did Hublink create virtual devices?

Nevermind, I went through the whole process from scratch again, and it worked. I must've made a mistake i wasn't seeing.

1 Like

Hey, I never see my mistakes until afterwards!! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Time and again I'd have some really hard problem to find.. and would finally get tired.. would call a colleague over... explain what was going on... s/he would nod and make nice noises but wouldn't say a word. Within 15 mins, during the explanation, the error would be COMPLETELY VISIBLE. They had never said a word, never helped at all.. just very kind listening.

That's how I've found all my worst development mistakes. :frowning:

5 Likes

I have had this exact same experience more times than I can count, from both sides!

2 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Envisalink Integration questions

Just installed this and it works perfectly. Thanks Bruce and HE team. Brilliant work.

I've been slow rolling my migration to HE but now I can accelerate it with this robust link of my sensors. I have no real need to go the other direction given my plan to migrate the motion and door sensors last.

Okay...so I'm already not understanding this. I installed HubLink in HE and Send to Hub in ST but nothing is showing up in Hubitat? Do I delete them both and start over?

Did you put in both IP addresses, are they on the same subnetwork?