Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

1 Like

Nice!

Please let us know when the app integration goes live. I turned on the Maker API and saw the same excessive memory use the caused me to turn it off in the first place.

PS I’d suggest you create a topic for HubiView in the custom apps and drivers. This will make it easier for folk to find it and get support without joining yet another forum.

/2c

Can you outline where you check this and what you’re comparing “excessive use” to?

I’m sure the developers of Hubitat themselves would be keen to know if there are better ways to build an integration into their own hub - I’m not against building my own integration app, but I’m skeptic about me building one better.

I have already done that, but as mentioned, I’m trying to drum up some local Australian support and love - support your fellow Aussie etc ???

1 Like

I use the Hub information driver by @thebearmay

Hubitat are definitely aware of the memory leak issue. I assume it’s not a high-priority for them and to be honest, I can understand why. most folk use apps to do things.

1 Like

Oh good, I did a quick look and must have missed your post. It wasn’t criticism. I was just trying to help you get the word out, but it turns out you didn’t actually need my help. :+1:

PS I’m autistic and occasionally I’m much blunter than I mean to be, so apologies. My wife tells me off for this all the time. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yes, I have that running as well, but not really sure what you're comparing it to. I have many users who haven't expressed any issues, so if you're having problems with running MakerAPI then maybe its related to the other apps you have running at the same time. I know there are limits to the HE hub, but I've being running MakerAPI on several hubs with zero issues - but I also don't run any other apps that could be competing for resources on that hub.... YMMV

If you have a spare rpi or something similar (or a range of other options), you can send details from HE devices, like the Hub Info device, out to InfluxDB and then chart trends over time in Grafana. I do this to keep tabs on memory, CPU, temperature, etc for my HE hubs.

I might just build a tile for hubiVue that records and monitors this over time... obviously it won't keep a long running history... but keeping the last 100 events by time, and then extrapolating between could be worth having... (as when the app isn't active it won't be collecting events).

I could put a nice little heartbeat graph or speedo graph on the tile that could be included to make it look sweet etc. Nice idea and something I might add :slight_smile:

1 Like

The available memory decreases at a much much more rapid rate with the maker API enabled. It doesn’t cause general performance issues, but my hub needs to be rebooted much more often.

I have rule machine reboot my hub when memory gets below 215 K as I’ve noticed that below that level my hub tends to not be as responsive as it should be.

With the maker API enabled, my hub is rebooting every 3 to 4 days. With a disabled, it will run for well over nine days in between reboots.

I run a large zwave network and a modest Zigbee network on my primary hub. My secondary hub runs all my cloud integrations except for HomeKit and Amazon echo.

1 Like

Inclusion of iFrames, which you make already have, would also allow those with a Grafana setup to use it in the App. That's what I've done a couple of times to display charts on a HE dashboard.

hubiVue is a native app on all platforms, so the concept or inclusion of iFrames isn't one that I'm keen on - the benefits of hubiVue is the native app performance and feel. So unlike lots of other dashboards, it isn't a web app and therefore doesn't have an easy path to include things like that - in saying that, I'm looking into releasing a WebView tile that will allow you to run a mini-browser on a dashboard tile for the express purpose of doing exactly what you described (using the platforms embedded browser - ie WebKit for iOS etc).

1 Like

Morning everyone.
Anyone knows a good/reliable wireless outdoor sensor to monitor rain, wind, UV, etc.
I am installing an outdoor blind and would like to automate opening/closing them if it is raining or if the wind is too strong.
Cheers.

You could look at an EcoWitt weather station. I'm looking after the drivers nowadays. It is local but also has cloud hosted history / charts if you need them.

1 Like

Thanks, I am looking at Ecowitt Wittboy now. Do you have any suggestion on which type of Ecowitt to look at?
It seems like Netatmo is similar but with higher prices and more separate sensors to be added.

Another option that ticks most of your boxes is the Netatmo Weather Station system (I currently maintain the App for it). Aside from being a touch pricey, if you buy all the modules at once, it's a very good system - it's only missing a UV sensor.

The HE App is on both HPM and Github.

Any specific reason why you chose Netatmo? It looks cool but to get the wind + rain sensors mean I need to spend min $576.
I can see it is Homekit compatible but would like to understand the pros and cons between Netatmo and Ecowitt.

Yep, I could buy the system in stages - took me nearly 2 years of presents from the wife to complete my system. :rofl:

That means I will never get there...... no more pressie after kids... :scream:
But yeah, other than that, is any of the functionality or integration or automation won you over to Netatmo?

1 Like

I used to have a Vera hub and it was one of the few that integrated with it.

It also has the ability to integrate with Weather Underground with a 3rd party service or Home Assistant data uploader. So that way you get weather forecast info into Hubitat too (I maintain that integration too).