Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

@IWiyanto The Netatmo is super nice (I bought one). However just be aware that the update frequency can only be a max of 5 mins (the default is 10 I think). If you want more frequent updates then this is not for you. It's generally not an issue but I wanted a near immediate warning of high winds.

1 Like

Yep, that is my understanding too.

True, the outdoor blinds need to be pulled up if wind gets too high hence 5 mins delay might rip them. Do you know anything about Ecowitt? Does it have similar delay like Netatmo?
Cost wise it is only half Netatmo to have wind + rain sensor.

I've got mine at 30s for the Ecowitt but can't remember if you can go lower tho.

2 Likes

I have my EcoWitt sending data to HE every 60 seconds, not sure if there is a lower limit or not...

I have a 7-in1 weather station and Gateway inside, which includes an indoor temp + humidity sensor. I also have soil moisture sensors and an indoor air quality sensor, none of which is what you are looking for :slightly_smiling_face:. The weather station includes the wind and rain sensor, plus a lux / UV reading and temp, humidity and air pressure. The weather station has a small solar panel to charge a built in battery.

I'll find a link to the product I have, but I'd suggest looking through more recent products and we can try and work out what will work with the EcoWitt HE drivers.

I believe you can also upload data to weather underground.

2 Likes

This is what I have. It doesn't include a mount. Mine is still hanging on using some straps and an old vacuum telescopic pipe on the fence.... So you may want to look at how you intend to mount the unit, whatever you choose.

2 Likes

That's pretty hacky :grinning: :+1:.

I got 3m of galv tube from Bunnings and used some brackets to secure it to a fence post. Pretty solid and easy to adjust to have the anemometer face north.

3 Likes

Yeah, it's been on my list since I purchased it... :slightly_smiling_face:

Ecowitt Wittboy

This one seems simple enough.

Or something like this
[Amazon
ECOWITT HP2551 Wi-Fi Weather Station with 7'' Large TFT Colored Display Console, 7-in-1 Solar Powered Outdoor Weather Sensor and 3-in-1 Indoor Sensor, Indoor/Outdoor Temperature&Humidity, UV Light, Rain Gauge, Wind Speed/Direction, Moon Phase, Sunrise/Sunset, Weather Forecast]
(https://amzn.asia/d/i14DdvW)

1 Like

Noob question, ecowitt or netatmo is wireless right. How does it transfer the info to Hubitat?
I also plan to transfer them to Home Assistant since the blinds motors are somfy and I don't know how to put them in hubitat but they are linked in HA

I bought an adjustable angle outdoor TV antenna pole from Bunnings to mount my weather station. Iirc it was pretty cheap.

2 Likes

Yes, and comes with a nice app etc. it even works with Apple HomeKit.

The EcoWitt send the data via a HTTP call to the HE hub which the drivers I look after receive, process and then store in device attributes. These attributes can be used in rules and displayed on dashboards, but can also be included in tiles output produced by the drivers.

I am also running HA and would like to find a way to send the data to more than one endpoint (you can only configure one destination in the EcoWitt setup)

1 Like

So I can only choose whether I want to transmit Ecowitt to HA or HE?
I checked HA and Ecowitt is available for integration. How it works I don't know yet. Again noob here...

In that case you could possibly upload the data to Weather Underground via this HA integration.

And then pull the EW data down to Hubitat every 5 mins from WU.

Ah, my mistake. I would prefer to see my EcoWitt sending data to a central spot and then distribute that data to the endpoints I want. That will most likely be something setup on a rpi to receive the data and send it on to HE and HA.

Now, that said... You can setup a Community-develiped app to integrate HE devices with HA, including EcoWitt devices.

So the answer is yes, you can send the data from EcoWitt to HE and have the data sync'd with HA.

Cool, just need to decide which one to buy. Do you know any smart water controller for irrigation if I want to automate (plus ecowitt soil moisture sensor)?

Can't say I have ventured into irrigation.... Or really used the soil moisture sensors if I'm honest... Just a nice little gadget to add to the mix... Hopefully others can comment on what they have used for managing the watering of their garden, as much as we haven't needed much on the east coast lately....

2 Likes

I wouldn't touch them with a 50ft pole. You can tell by the "upside down" socket that they are Chinese market 240v devices. While the Chinese make loads of good stuff, if it isn't Aus certified, you can be 99% sure a device has been built to the lowest cost possible and corners have been cut.

Personally, I stick to brands like Aeotec that make Aus certified gear - they took over Samsung's SmartThings IoT business so make Z-Wave and now Zigbee gear that is rock solid.

2 Likes