Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

Oh wow, you are right, they are sold out everywhere.

The TPlink Kasa sockets are cheap and iirc there is Hubitat support for them (might be a community driver).

1 Like

Ikea Tradfri plugs are zigbee and cost $20. They are supposed to be pretty good repeaters judging from our US cousins' comments.

Fair enough. TBH I never use this feature as I have whole house energy monitoring.

I bought one to test the power monitoring. It works, however the power monitoring uses polling to operate. Not ideal.

The remainder of the plugs I needed I went with Aoetec instead.

What do you use for this? IoTaWatt or something else?

I have a home built system which reads the meter disc rotations (yes analog meters still exist!).

1 Like

Thanks. It outputs via MQTT and goes into node red for final data conversion.

1 Like

Stay away. IMHO they're a house fire wanting to start.
16amps ! I'd not be putting anything over 5amps through such a plug if I had to use one of those plugs.
@dJOS has also provide solid advice here.
The Nue smart plugs are certified and rated @ 10amps which should be ample for even the largest old Plasma TV.
Or convince yourself that you'd be saving power (and money) by buying a modern LCD with LAN control. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It works brilliantly with the Sonoff driver

Used a few for a couple of months and then they just turned to crap and refused to connect again and the one's that did kept dropping off. Ended up removing the 6 or so that i had.

Have 1 (bought while on sale) which has been running fine for over 6 months despite sitting in an outdoor letterbox.

Hi Welby and Rocketwiz

Thank you for sharing your experience:.
I’ll keep watching 2 units that I’ve just bought and stop buying more.
It’s really disappointing that I can’t find any small and reliable motion sensors.
I’ve just installed these 2 sensors at the bottom and top of the stairs to control some step lights because they were quite small and discrete. Previously, I’ve used z Philips Hue sensors which were very good but obtrusive for this location.
Wising you a good weekend

2 Likes

Have you looked into the Ikuu (Zigbee) Motion Sensors ?
The one I have has been working well and the Ikuu gear is all RCM certified.
Absolutely ZERO issues with pairing and staying connected, run happily on NiMH AAA batteries (although 16 months and the Device tab still displays as 100% battery level) and use the inbuilt Generic Zigbee Motion driver.
Just under 60mm square

2 Likes

Hi njanda
Thank you for the information. Impressive battery lifespan.
Have a good weekend.

1 Like

I’d strongly recommend for security Ness ELK M1 which is compatible with every automation system I know of.

For a wireless energy management system I’d recommend KASTA which is new and very exciting. Flexible but well thought out especially for Australia!
Only caveat is with KASTA is it doesn’t (to my knowledge) have a driver written for Hubitat, although they do for other systems. It has two hubs, one for Alexa and Google. One for home automation platforms.

1 Like

Hi All Can anyone from NZ recommend a good Zigbee owner plug to handle a espresso coffee machine (1250W): Turn on/off at a minimum, but would love to be able to track power usage as well - it would be also great if it acted as a Zigbee mesh hub?

The Aeotec / ST Zigbee plugs iirc are good for 1500 watts.

I use Ikea Tradfri outlets in Aus. They are cheap and reliable but large and not very pretty. No power monitoring but the spec sheet says max load 2300W and they are decent Zigbee repeaters.

What are people's opinions on the best option with smart light switches/wall sockets? I just moved to a new house and am looking at replacing the switches and thought it would be better to make them controllable over smart lights this time.

I looked at bunnings Deta Grid Connect, but they don't seem to work out of the box and require a bit of messing around. Looking for more simpler solution if one exists and does not cost too much.

I recommend you Just put smart modules behind nice wall switches and be done with it.

2 Likes