Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

Yeah I actually was just reading your post from a while ago with the Aeotec Nano and Clipsal iconic range, which are the switches I liked the look of the most. Looking at about $90-$100 for each switch though :confused:

How have they held up for you?

1 Like

Rock solid, I’m about install another 8 this year to finish off the last few switches in the house.

Does anyone have recommendations on smart blinds that can be custom sized and work with Hubitat? Ikea and Bunnings sizes both will not work for my windows.

Not cheap ones.... I use Somfy motors inside my roller blinds and a ZipTrak I now rarely use.... The cheaper part of this if a the awesome Bond Bridge... Alpha blinds require their own expensive hub, but if you are fitting out the whole house with them, rather than the one battery operated one like me, then it may be worthwhile...

Sorry to be a negative nancy.... I'm sure there are more positive and cheaper options :slight_smile:

On the positive side, anything that can work with Bond should result in a rock-solid experience based on my setup...

1 Like

(the Zigbee models)

Thanks for that, will look in to those options!

1 Like

Look at the automate ones as well. Pulse 2 huh is needed for direct integration. I have these in my blinds and they have been great for battery life and responding. Although the pulse 1 hub I have (bought many years ago) has to be integrated through ifttt, where the newer hub I believe works ok with the integration (user app/integration) for Hubitat.

I have a few of these aotech dimmers and Clipsal momentary push buttons. Got the dimmers due to no neutral wires in my older house. They have served me well, although quite pricey.

There are also Shelly devices that I have touched on using with existing switches or Clipsal. I have already used some for irrigation and making Garage roller door motor smart. Has integration that has been reliable for me so far although community supported driver. Cheaper option , and also compliant for Australia like aotech which is very important when going in the wall. But they are wifi based, but still local control at least.

I’ve been trying to get the Shelly i3 working with Hubitat. Have you tried doing this?

Is that the Rollease Acmeda motors you are referring to (I know these use the Pulse 2 hub)? If so, the Bond home bridge works with these motors as well.

1 Like

Yes that what I meant woops. The app is called automate. Interesting I hadn't realised the bond bridge works as well. I'm thinking of updating my pulse 1 hub to a pulse 2 hub to get rid of ifttt, but will look at the bond as well then.

No I've only installed Shelly 1L, 1 and 1 plus. Haven't adventurer too far just yet.

Hey all,

New build considering the following options:

Nue smart switches (zigbee)

Mercator Ikuu (zigbee)

Makegood from ozsmart things (can't see them on compatible list though says they work)

Shelly

Considerations:

1. If it goes to β– β– β– β–  the switch still works like a dumb one
  2. Ease of setting up and maintaining in Hubitat
  3. Is it possible to wire a 3 way (both ends of hall and middle of hall) using any of these to still function as dumb switches? (if not I know I can set a rule, use another button etc) but see point one.

I have seen a few opinions just wondering if there is some form of consensus? I realise i may need to glue all the nue plates before installation, but if all it takes is a bit of glue to make it the best option then I can live with that.

My Aeotec nano + Clipsal iconic setup meets all of your criteria.

1 Like

thanks for the response, I was under the impression from that zigbee was more reliable than z wave in Aus.

Also the cost of your set up is significant, one that I do not think I can justify. It would be one nano per gang right? so if i had 4 "buttons" that is 4 nano's right?

Not IME, Z-Wave is using dedicated 900Mhz Radio Spectrum vs the 2.4Ghz public spectrum Zigbee uses. Getting Zigbee reliable at my place has been a nightmare! On the other hand, z-wave just works.

Hi @jgotti.1.2,

The Aeotec and Fibaro dimmers can only support 1 lighting circuit per device, however their relays can support 2 circuits per device.

Aeotec Dimmer: https://www.aeotec.com.au/aeotec-nano-dimmer.html
Aeotec Relay: https://www.aeotec.com.au/aeotec-dual-nano-switch.html

Fibaro Dimmer: https://www.fibaro.com/en/products/dimmer-2/
Fibaro Relay: https://www.fibaro.com/en/products/switches/

I think you'll find cramming more than 2 devices behind a wall plate can be challenging. Sparkies can probably accomodate them if they are installed during the build.

Another option to consider is Clipsal Wiser. It's Zigbee and not Z-Wave, but its from a well known brand to sparkies and may be easier to install for them.

Clipsal Wiser: https://www.clipsal.com/products/wiser-smart-home-solutions

If you plan to retro fit after the build is finished, the most important thing to ask for is greater depth gang boxes and neutrals being pulled through to every switch. While the Aeotec and Fibaro dimmers can work without a neutral, you'll get better control with a neutral and more flexibility in switch lighting (if needed).

1 Like

You can have multiple momentary switches, wired in parallel, per input. This is best used with momentary switches tho.

The S1 and S2 can be used independently if desired (eg use S2 to trigger scenes). I haven’t played with that last option, but it’s apparently a feature.

1 Like

Yes, sorry, by switches I meant lighting circuits. I'll edit my post.

1 Like

Appreciate the feedback from both of you.

I am surprised at both of you suggesting Z wave when I felt the consensus was Zigbee in Aus.

The aeotec relay doubles my cost compared to a zigbee switch like a nue, clipsal is no doubt top of the range, I won't spend that much.