[RELEASE] Aeotec Range Extender 7 Driver

Aeotec Range Extender 7

Driver Capabilities

• Switch

Features

Ok... It doesn't do much.. But you can control the light :crazy_face:

Totally not necessary to use this or any driver for the repeater to function .. I just wanted to turn that light on and off..

7 Likes

Perhaps a dumb question, would this work with the Range Extender 6 as well?
I have two of those, running on the generic z-wave extender driver now.

Not sure.. The only thing this really adds is indicator light control.. A repeater really doesn't need a driver.. But the lights were staying on on mine and I wanted to be able to turn them on and off from automation control.. They can be used like nightlights

3 Likes

Minor update ..

Added duplicate event filtering

I tried changing the driver and hit configure, then on and off with no response on the range extender 6. Switched mine back to the In-Built Generic z-wave driver.

1 Like

I’ll take a look at the certification details and see if I can accommodate the differences

1 Like

Looks like I won’t be able to get the same functionality with the 6

It doesn’t use the indicator cc .. And doesn’t have a way to keep the light on or off..

1 Like

No worries, mine sits in the rack in my unfinished basement, I only checked to see if it worked as I saw two others ask and figured why not give it a try and report back. Thanks for checking!

1 Like

@Brandon thank you... exactly what I was looking for!!

2 Likes

Thanks so much, @bcopeland!

I just installed two of these today, and while I don't want to turn the lights off on these two at this time, I can see myself wanting to do that with one of them when I finally set up a "Movie Time" scene, and probably if I install one in a bedroom.

I switched them to your driver after installing them with the built-in generic driver and the response speed for turning the light on or off is almost instantaneous. Great work!

1 Like

Sorry that thank u was for @bcopeland !!!

2 Likes

Changelog

2020-04-18 - Added importUrl

Changelog
2020-05-03 Update importUrl and re-structured file / directories

Blockquote[quote="bcopeland, post:7, topic:37775, full:true"]

[/quote]

Are these parameters for the 6? Does the 7 have RGBW control? This would be great for matching surrounding bulbs in a scene or could also be used to trigger colors/flashing for alerting.

2 Likes

No the 7 doesn't have RGB control

Not sure.. would have to go look it up..

Just switched over to this driver from the generic. I assume on/off is light on and off (not the range extender itself) what does configure do?

1 Like

yes.. It turns on/off the light..

Configure runs through the driver’s setup.. And polls the device for information like firmware versions, associations, serial numbers/ etc

It’s a good practice to hit configure when you change device drivers

1 Like

Hi @bcopeland,

Thanks for building this driver as my wife really does not want the light on in our bedroom. :slight_smile:

I downloaded your driver, installed it and switch both of my Extender 7s to use it. I have tried pushing configure several times on both of them but I cannot get the lights to turn off. I tried unplugging and plugging it back in but no luck.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Any other tips to try and get it working?

Brad

Double tap the action button on the Range Extender 7. This toggles the LED light on and off.

There is a bug in the RE7 regarding the light that Denny Page (@dennypage) found and got Aeotec to fix. Here is the release thread for his driver, which exposes some additional features of the RE7 (power tests, range tests).

For some unknown reason, after fixing the bug and providing a fixed version (1.02) of the firmware back in September 2020, Aeotec has not published the firmware update on its support site, but a copy of the firmware update, and a README discussing the issues, is available in Denny Page’s GitHub repo:

1 Like