Aeotec Range Extender 7

How? If this thing is shouting even 2 miles surely the device it's talking too can hear it but, it can't talk back due to ITs range?

1 Like

Fair point.

One would assume when making range claims, that the power of the receiving device is not taken into consideration and that any appreciable increase in broadcast power would be tied to an increase in receiving sensitivity. Otherwise, how could you ever make a claim of the range for a device?

As often is, I think @Ryan780 has hit the nail on the head. Quoting from:

https://www.silabs.com/products/wireless/mesh-networking/z-wave/700-platform/what-is-z-wave-700

"A sensitivity gain extends Z-Wave's direct range to 100 meters, and mesh network range has been extended to 400 meters."

2 Likes

been reading and rereading this as I just couldn't see what you were saying, but i think your saying that the new device is now extra sensitive so it can shout louder and hear the lesser devices response basically?

1 Like

And look finally seeing compatible with HE!!

5 Likes

I'm saying that in order to assess a device's range, you have to take into account both receiving and sending signals. And in addition to boosting the power of a transmitter, you can boost the sensitivity of a receiver to increase a device's range.

I suspect that is what they have done here. Boosting just the transmitting power or just the receiving sensitivity won't do a whole lot on their own. But together, they will extend the range of the device.

I have no idea if that is what they did with the RE7....but logically, it stands to reason that's what they would have done. If they didn't, and they just boosted the power on the transmitter, then I don't see how they could make the claims about increased range.

1 Like

They could if they specifically stated only when all devices were the same 700 series. In that case the sensitivity shouldn't matter due to the increase in Tx power. But like you said it would make sense that they also increased the Rx sensitivity aswell for previous series versions to work.

Well that’s not how marketing works. :crazy_face: It’s a magic fix all, that’s all you need to know :rofl:

The rest of that is for fine print in the back of the documentation :grinning:

4 Likes

Bought one since it was a 3 dollar difference at the time vs the version 6. Uses the generic driver and as an extender works as some of my zwave light switches that had delays when being triggered no longer have delays. If the other features come later sure but as of now it does the job it says on the package.

Quick question, if I add one of these to my existing home will the already paired Z-wave devices take advantage of it?

Thanks
Matt

After a ZWave Repair or two, yes

Would a repair cause any issues with currently paired devices?

Nope.. A repair should be run after adding or moving mains powered z-wave devices..

This helps keep your mesh operating cleanly..

1 Like

Have you ever ran a repair after months of the Hub running to refresh everything?

Thanks

Months.. no.. I run after every mains powered device is moved or added .. Which is pretty frequent as I have been developing drivers.. But a repair will not hurt.. It will probably take a while if it has been that long...

Yes

No. That's not what a repair does. A repair will re-assign routes to the hub for your devices. If you haven't moved or changed any devices, none of their routes should change.

1 Like

Just got 4 of these in. Will work on placing and pairing them today.

1. They paired as “Generic Z-Wave Repeater“ in the built-in device types I didn’t see any repeaters in the Aeotec section, is generic ok? Or is there a better choice?

2. My mesh routers have a utility to help you place access points based on their signal from each point. I’ve not noticed that any z-wave device show anything like “signal strength” they just kinda work, work poorly, or don’t work. Is there a way to show this so you can place repeaters in the most ideal places?

And yes @aaiyar I will repair my network after placing all the repeaters :crazy_face:

Although generic will work, why not use @bcopeland's driver for the Range Extender 7?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.