[RELEASE] Aeotec Range Extender 7 Driver

The most recent one I bought came with v1.03 firmware, it sure would be nice if Aeotec released the latest firmware for these on their website so we could update them.

2 Likes

Sorry but this is all new to me so stumbling through it.

How do you find out what version of firmware you have?

To update the firmware, I am going to use the Z-wave updater driver. If I put the firmware 1.02 on my local drive, can I just type in the C:\path for the url?

Not sure which driver you are using... but you can probably find it by going to the device page and looking in Device Details -> Data. Looks something like this:

• deviceId: 189
  • deviceType: 260
  • manufacturer: 881
  • inClusters: 0x5E,0x85,0x8E,0x59,0x55,0x86,0x72,0x5A,0x87,0x73,0x9F,0x6C,0x7A
  • zwNodeInfo: D3 9C 00 04 0F 01 5E 85 5C 8E 59 55 86 72 5A 87 73 9F 6C 7A 68 23
  • firmwareVersion: 1.2
  • protocolVersion: 7.11
  • hardwareVersion: 189

(@bradfreels) I was just looking at/playing with this today, firmwareVersion and below didn't show up until I did a range test for me using your driver. My recently purchased ones are 1.1. Bccopeland's driver config did not do anything for me. I guess it is time to try my first zwave firmware update on my C7 and play around some more (recent ST migrant, still feeling way around). It would be nice to be able to use the indicator light as a HSM status indicator using the switch atribute/capability as bccopeland's used to do in my current setup.

1 Like

Seems that Aeotec released 1.03 today. Perhaps they read these forums.

1 Like

I opened a ticket.

Of note is that the Indicator CC issues mentioned in the release notes were actually resolved in 1.02.

2 Likes

I updated my Aeotec Range Extender 7 to the 1.03 firmware yesterday using the built in firmware updater. It took 23 1/2 hours to finish the update! I'm wondering if the reason it took so long is that I have the repeater paired as S2 Authenticated.

FWIW, I just upgraded a pair of them from 1.02 to 1.03, one insecurely paired and one paired with S2. Both within direct range of the hub. Both took ~26 minutes.

I tried a third one that was insecurely paired, but outside direct range of the hub (one hop away). After 30 minutes, it was about 10% compete.

It's a lot of data to do the firmware update, and I think it's very sensitive to communication reliability, so I would bring the repeater close to the hub to perform the update if possible.

My 2 RE7 devices were updated this weekend and took about 20 minutes each. Of course, I did it about 3 feet from the hub. Both were paired S2 authenticated, C-7. 2.2.4.158.

@dennypage and @672southmain. Wow, quite a difference in update time. I had my repeater about 4 feet away from the hub, so it should have been in direct range. I'm not sure why I had such an abysmal transfer time. My Inovelli dimmers updated in about 30 minutes when I did them, so that is kind of what I expected for the Aeotec.

Had the route been repaired to be direct when you did the update?

That's a good point and I didn't look at the routing right before I moved it. It was always routing directly to the hub whenever I looked at it in the past. I just moved it from about 20 ft. to about 4 ft. from the hub.

When I attempt to update mine to 1.03, it says "Please wake up your sleepy device". It is plugged in and working. Any ideas what I should do?

Sounds like the hub thinks it's a battery device. You might try refresh/configure/repair, but I'm guessing you're going to have to exclude and re-include the device. Note that after you exclude, you should do a full factory reset before re-including it.

1 Like

Anyone having trouble with these guys? I have a handful around the house, and sometimes they seem to disappear from Zwave. They won't respond to light on/off commands or respond to a Zwave Repair (the ping fails). Usually unplugging and replugging then from the outlet gets them talking again. I have 6 and they're all running 1.03.

I have them paired without S2 security, if anyone thinks that is related.

Thanks for any insight.

I've been doing a lot of testing with the Aeotec extender recently. I had an instance where a unit was unresponsive to a range test request and refresh, but it's unclear if it was a physical placement issue or not. I had the same issue with a Ring extender at the same time/location, so I wrote it off to physical placement or a general Z-Wave network issue. Both started working after replugging.

Few things I would suggest if it happens again:

• Single press the button on the unit. Is it responsive afterward?
  • Press and hold the button for ~8 seconds (rapid flash) to start a range test. Does the range test work? Is it responsive afterward?
  • If you have a sniffer, check and see if the unit is still functioning as a repeater.

This information will be useful when approaching Aeotec support.

No, it appears the only way to get them talking again is to unplug it and plug it back in. When they go in this mode, they don't respond to anything Zwave (indicator light on/off, refresh, range test) and they no longer repeat or respond. I feel like I've made it a little bit better by sending a Zwave refresh to each one once an hour, but eventually they'll go offline.

Perhaps this is just chance, but I do notice that there seems to be a correlation between a hub reboot and when they quit responding. I'll keep an eye on this.

Take it for what it’s worth, but it sounds to me like the device is having issues hearing back from the hub, and after so many retries it gives up and stops listening - at this point it shouldn’t be repeating either. Also explains why the refresh ping helps. Unplugging it causes it to reinitialize.

Number of factors that could be involved most of them environmental, but my guess is that you may need a few more repeaters. If you have a C7 or an external stick with PC Controller you may want to look at the Zwave Topology and see what it shows.

I have 8 of these things and they are all doing it.

I do have a ZStick+PC Controller 5.0 and a Zniffer. I'll see if I can identify the triggering condition.

If you're willing to try a different driver, you might take a few of them and try this driver. Leave debug logging enabled.

Are all 8 using S2? If so, I would also recommend trying re-including some without S2.

1 Like