[RELEASE] Aeotec Range Extender 7 Driver

Based on previous recommendations, I got rid of all security on the network with a single exception for an S0 lock.

I'm using the driver that lets you turn the light on/off; I'll try different ones on different groups and see if there's a correlation.

Thanks!

The driver I referred to allows you to control the indicator, however it's presented as a preference rather than a switch.

Ah yes, it appears I'm running 1.4.0 of your driver currently! I use the preference to tell when a repeater is dorked up; I'll flip the indicator, save preferences, but it won't change. Unplug->replug and it's back to controllable again. That's been handy in troubleshooting.

I just checked the single one of these I have and it looks like it fell off my network on Jan 16, which was a day I had my hub shut down for a few hours to add a new switch that's on the same circuit. So I think you're right about that.

1 Like

If you can get me a sniff of that, it would be awesome... Thanks!

How did you all get these to update? If I do an update with the 1.03 .gbl file through the c7 built in updater, it never gets passed 1%, even if I leave it for a couple of days, I've tried authenticated s2, unauthenticated s2, I paired it with my c5 and tried it with the user community 'z-wave firmware update' driver. I've also tried it with the 'z-wave pc controller' software for pc, which fails when I click "get" on the OTA tab. The device is within 3-5 feet oh the hub. Sort of at a loss on how to update these. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-Nate

I’ve only been able to get it to update if paired with NO security (all boxes unchecked), next to the hub. I have done 2 this way. It helps to reboot the hub before the update.

An alternative is to use a USB Z-Wave stick and PC Controller (part of SiLabs SimplicityStudio) to do the update, goes very fast that way.

1 Like

The PC controller software, which I mentioned I tried, does not like the file in the format of .gbl. Also, I can't get it to read the firmware in from the repeater, so it fails before that point anyway. Other devices work okay, as I've updated the multi sensors with that software before. I guess I could try unchecking all forms of security and try it that way. So far these have been the biggest PITA of any z-wave device to update.

You have to use PC Controller 5. If you are using 4, it will not work.

1 Like

I have version 5, I have a z-stick that was paired as a secondary controller to the c7. I could not get it to allow me to update the range extender at all. It failed on every request to it. I was able to update it by adding the range extender to a spare c7 I have, and it was the only device paired to it, it updated overnight and took about 9 hours. Seems weird I could not get it to work on my production c7.

At any rate, thanks for the replies, I got it sorted. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried this today with no luck.
Brand new Aeotec Range Extender 7 with HE C7.

Paired the range extender, switched to this driver but when I click the off button on the deivce page the LED won't turn off. Nothing shows up on the logs.

Also, in the generic driver I believe Current States was shoing something like "main" (if I remember it right) now it is blank.

I tried removing the device from the outlet and plug it again (to power cycle it) but it didn't make any difference.

Device firmware is 1.03 (I didn't upgrade it since it is the latest).

Any ideas?

Have you tried the community-contributed driver by Denny Page (@dennypage) ? It’s very good. He is the one who found and reported a bug with the light (fixed with 1.03 firmware), and I know that his driver works (I have 2 Aeotec RE7 with 1.03 firmware).

The Aeotec RE7 driver written by Bryan Copeland at the beginning of the present thread isn’t supported or maintained by him since he joined the Hubitat staff.

1 Like

Yep, works like a charm.
Thanks a bunch.

2 Likes

Have you had any problems with the Range Extender 7s?

I have a handful around the house. Awhile back, I found that I needed to generate some sort of activity to them on a regular basis in order to keep them online. I'm currently doing with a tweaked version of Idle Node Refresher which sends an off/on/off sequence to turn the light on then off and generate some Zwave activity in doing so. This steps helped tremendously, but I still lose a Range Extender 7 node every so often. When that occurs, I have to physically unplug the RE and plug it back in to get it online.

For example, I lost one 2 days ago:

Thanks for any feedback.

Honestly, I don't know if mine is active or not - I'm not monitoring things as I should.
Where is this "Device Activity Check" tile, is this a custom app?
How do I check if the device is online?

This is what I have. From the device page:

And the only activity in the events page is on the day I installed the device.
Am I supposed to see anything else here?

I had trouble with my falling off also, finally plugged it into a pocket socket and just recycle that plug every day at 5:00 AM. No problems with falling off after I did that.

@doogles @jamie How can you guys determine it is failing?
I have mine plugged in for a while as shown in my previous post. Should I just try an LED on/off command to see if it responds?

I use Denny Page's driver (Aeotec Range Extender 7) and if I couldn't successfully do a range test to a powered device then I knew it was off line. Haven't had to do that with cycling power to it once a day.

Yes; turning the LED on then off (and eyeing the result over on the right) is exactly how I manually determine if it's alive or dead.

That said, I have it automated using a combination of Device Activity Manager and Idle Node Refresher, with a caveat:

Because this driver doesn't have a Refresh, I had to create a custom branch of Idle Node Refresher which lets you tell it to send an off/on/off sequence to generate the activity it needs for Device Activity Manager to identify it as non-responsive. Obviously you don't want to off/on/off most devices, so I have two Idle Node Refresher child apps -- one that uses refresh, and another that uses off/on/off. I split them up manually.

I'm no programmer, but It Works For Me(tm); I'd be happy to post my copy if you'd have a use for it.

1 Like

Just did that and it works fine.
I guess I can conclude mine is going for over 40 days without an issue then.