Leviton DZ6HD and DZ15S firmware upgrades

I came across an interesting thread in the Z-Wave JS repo that contains pointers to newer ota firmware updates for the DZ6HD and DZ15S, and I thought it worth posting info here. Leviton doesn't provide release notes so what all the changes are is unknown, but they are being recommended for performance/stability improvements.

Firmware version 1.22 for the DZ6HD can be found here.
Firmware version 1.23 for the DZ15S can be found here.

Note that the Hubitat Device Firmware Updater app is not currently able to perform firmware updates for these Leviton devices. You will need to use a Z-Wave stick and PC Controller to perform the ota upgrade. If you don't have experience with PC Controller, I recommend waiting until Device Firmware Updater is updated to work with these devices.

I've updated over a hundred devices so far, the the firmware works well.

One additional item, if you are using the "Leviton DZ6HD Z-Wave Dimmer" driver, I recommend switching to the "Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer" driver. The DZ6HD specific driver appears to have a bug in which it queries the device for updates twice rather than just once. For the DZ15S, I use the "Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch" driver.

HTH

11 Likes

Thanks for this. I had issues with the DZ15S over a year ago and the told me the FW had been updated but that they did not support OTA updates so they sent me a new switch. I tried it but I still was not impressed. I will give this a whirl.

1 Like

Note that the Hubitat Device Firmware Updater app is not currently able to perform firmware updates for these Leviton devices. You will need to use a Z-Wave stick and PC Controller to perform the ota upgrade. If you don't have experience with PC Controller, I recommend waiting until Device Firmware Updater is updated to work with these devices.

Device Firmware Updater still doesn't work, but the Z-Wave Firmware Updater driver worked for me!

One additional item, if you are using the "Leviton DZ6HD Z-Wave Dimmer" driver, I recommend switching to the "Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer" driver. The DZ6HD specific driver appears to have a bug in which it queries the device for updates twice rather than just once. For the DZ15S, I use the "Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch" driver.

Curious why "Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch" instead of "Generic Z-Wave Plus Switch"?

2 Likes

The DZ6HD uses Hail which the Plus driver does not support.

Can you please share what files(s) you used with the Updater driver? Just the exe? Thanks!

ETA - I don't need the actual files (I have all those form the Leviton ZIP), I just meant which ones did you actually load up & use

I used the .ota links in the OP.

Nuts, but thank you... I was trying to do the 1.23 update for a DZPA1, and I can't find a .ota for it. I'll keep digging though. Thanks again!

ETA - I found everything I need and got it updated. Sometime soon, I'll try to make a comprehensive post about this Leviton update process from start-to-finish -- there was a lot of 1-step-forward-two-steps-back until I finally got it all sorted!

ETA2 - Guide to updating Leviton ZW devices

Looking forward to the update!

FYI, there is now a direct link on Leviton’s site for a bunch of current firmware files without the Z-wave stick software installer (bottom of page): https://hubconnecteddecorasmart.leviton.com/hc/en-us/articles/7151993826075-Updating-Decora-Smart-Z-Wave-Using-Home-Assistant

Don’t worry about the Home Assistant talk on that page, as these are the same firmware files to use with the Hubitat Z-Wave Updater.

I (patiently) updated a bunch of DZ15S and the plug-in module DZPA1 to firmware version 1.23, which seems to have addressed issues with delayed activation.

5 Likes

Alas, it uploaded 100% and then got " FAILED: Insufficient memory". Boo-urns.

I think there is a plain Z-wave firmware updater and a Z-wave binary firmware updater. I've had success with the plain driver only (the one where you don't pick your target).

I've also had to host the file locally in order for the file to successfully upload.

What issues were you all having? I just installed one of these I was gifted. I pulled a Leviton driver package using the HPM to get it installed.

The problems I'm having are:

1. LED bulb doesn't get as bright as it should
  2. The bulb gets as bright as it will go but then dims.
  3. The light gets brighter when you click to turn it off before dimming
  4. The light never goes completely out
  5. While I've changed the load type to LED and saved preferences, it still shows it's incandescent

I've tried adjusting the settings to maximize the brightness level, kill off the fade on / off, etc. Without much change.

I would recommend that you try changing the driver to "Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch", and then making the change to LED using the commands on the device itself.

If you don't have it, you can find the manual here.

1 Like