Firmware Updates

So one thing that I am still trying to understand. With all the different manufacturers out there, how do you update the firmware on a device? I have both z-wave and zigbee devices and have no idea how to find out if there is an update or how to install it if there is an update..

2 Likes

Unfortunately there isn't really a standard process. Some don't even provide firmware updates.

I believe some zigbee devices do havethe ability to be udpated right from the device page in the HE UI if Hubitat has firmware.

If you post the manutacture info for your gear some folks maybe answer for your specific gear.

2 Likes

Probably the toughest part of the process. There is no one way to know. Some put it on their website. Others have a Github repository. Many don't give firmware updates at all. It is pretty device specific.

Hubitat has some Zigbee firmware, but nowhere near all that is available. Currently you can only do Zigbee updates if Hubitat has the file. The Device settings page will have a button, and you can try pressing that (while watching logs) to see if there is an update. I don't think I have ever seen an update for my particular devices.

Assuming you have a C7 hub, Z-wave can be updated via a built-in app. You are responsible for finding the firmware files, and like I mentioned above they are not easy to find in most cases. nor do many manufacturers even have files available. https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Device_Firmware_Updater

5 Likes

Hey @mavrrick58 -

Here is some of the devices I have

Leviton DZ6HD Z-Wave Dimmer
Leviton DG6HD Zigbee Dimmer

I have generic Zigbee plugs as well.

Most likely don't have updates at all. I would be shocked if the manufacturer does updates period.

Yes. This thread describes how to do the process and has a link to the latest firmware. Leviton DZ15S Sometimes does or does not work

I don't think so, but you can press the firmware update button on the device's setting page and see if logs tab say anything about update available.

3 Likes

Z-Flash shows the latest firmware they have for these as V1.2. http://help.homeseer.com/help/Z-Flash/static/#.firmware_included_with_z_flash. Historically Leviton would not distribute firmware images separately, but they seem to have started posting them on their support site. See the following thread: Leviton DZ6HD and DZ15S firmware upgrades

2 Likes

What is the reason for updating firmware on specific devices? Could they lose compatibility if I keep updating my hub OS?

Usually it is for bug fixes or possibly adding new features requested by users via parameter settings.

3 Likes

:+1:

No, Hubitat has never purposefully prevented a previously working device from working after a hub update. The only time this might happen it would be accidental if history is any indicator.

For example, Schlage Z-wave locks are known to be problematic. They were at one time officially supported devices. Hubitat removed them from the compatibility list, but kept the driver. It is now sort of a "use at your own risk" thing.

There are a couple similar situations where they updated Zigbee RGB bulb drivers and left the old driver so they wouldn't break anyone's hub.

This happens for things like Rule Machine and other apps too. Where it would break things, they just leave the old version alone, and make the newer version available, so you don't have to update any of your rules unless you want the newer features.