Dimmer Status Incorrect but Functioning Correctly

Yes, you need the firmware for your Leviton dimmer. I think there was a link to it in my earlier post from the Leviton Support site.

1 Like

You need the Leviton firmware file as noted. I think the last time I looked, it may have been a complete zip file that I had to decompress to see what was in there. Once you have the particular file, follow the instructions below.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Device_Firmware_Updater

1 Like

So I got the firmware and started the update this morning and the Habitat screen has looked like this all day.. Not sure where to go from here..

First, and @aaiyar please correct if I'm wrong, but based on @wfusco's screenshot a few posts up, the updater says he already has v1.2 -- I don't think Leviton has a newer version available?

Second, I couldn't figure out what the heck to use from that Leviton zip file for the built-in HE updater... The best thing I could pick in there was an .exe file, but the HE updater didn't seem to like that... Fortunately, I remembered I had a spare device in my parts box, and that one had 1.20 already installed -- I got lucky on that one.

Certainly does. That OTA file seems to say 1.2.2 though, doesn't it?

When I open the Leviton zip, I'm only seeing "01_20" references in the various file names... Or am I looking at the wrong thing / wrong place?

I was just commenting on @wfusco's second screenshot which shows a file name of:

DZ6HD_v1_22.ota

2 Likes

Right in front of my face :slight_smile: Welp, I'm out of ideas, but I'm curious to see how this unfolds!

2 Likes

So the zip file from here, Link | Leviton Filetransfer says it V12 (assuming 1.2) but the file inside the zip says DZ6HD_v1_22.ota. (again assuming 1.22)

The file type .ota is a support file type right?

At this point I am seriously regretting buying z-wave over Zigbee - I have installed 7 zigbee switches with not one problem...

Sometimes the built in device updater isn't the greatest. I'm having problems updating a jasco outlet. I suspect I'll just pair it to my z-wave stick and use the silabs software to update it. Probably would work for you as well.

1 Like

@rlithgow1 I am very new to Z-Wave and Zigbee so I apologize for any stupid questions? Which z-wave stick? Can a switch be paired to 2 hubs? Can you send a link to the silabs software?

No. But you can add a Z-stick as a device to Hubitat, and update that way. The Z-stick just looks like any other repeater to Hubitat.

The other option would be to remove the switch from Hubitat and pair it to the Z-stick and do the update, then add the switch back to Hubitat. Please note that if you simply remove the switch from Hubitat, it WILL mess up every automation it is involved in unless special steps are taken. Please don't do this unless you are very familiar with changing out one device for another.

In my experience, the Hubitat Zwave updater works fine IF your network is totally quiet, or IF the hub is very close to the device so it connects directly. (Or maybe both). My hypothesis with the Z-stick working "better" is that it isn't busy doing other processing.

2 Likes

This is what I usually do when the internal updater doesn't work

1 Like

@neonturbo The switch does have an auto off automation but I’ll remove that before removing the switch.

How do you remove a switch? I saw something about includes and excludes but it was foreign to me yet.

Yes you could do the exclusion process, but again be aware it will break everything that switch it tied to, any automations or rules. The exact steps to exclude are different depending upon the brand/model of device. But in general go to the Add a Device menu from Devices tab, and pick Z-wave. From there you press Exclude, and do whatever to put the switch into exclusion mode (follow the include/exclude directions from Leviton here).

It is typically much easier to include the Z-stick into Hubitat and update that way. You can still use all the Simplicity Studio software via your desktop when the stick is paired as a device in Hubitat. There is very little to be saved by removing the switch and having to pair it again.

Okay - so I went to devices, add device, find by device type, repeater - but I do not see z-stick….

It doesn't necessarily need a driver., it just works once paired. You put the hub into Zwave inclusion mode from Add a Device menu, and then go into Simplicity Studio and include the stick.

The Ghost Removal guide below by @danabw (thanks!) up to about step 14 is what you want to do to include the stick to Hubitat. Then you can use step 16 to remove the stick from Hubitat. In his step 8 you can actually see the firmware update button.

Please use this tool with caution. If you press the wrong button or do the wrong thing, you can damage or wipe out your Zwave from Hubitat. I am not responsible for anything you do with this tool, that is up to you to take the risk.

so I was ready to say the heck with it and I was going to remove the switch from my inventory, remove it and return it to the store then I decided to move my Hubitat hub into the middle of the house, and poof the switch started working and I can see the status in Hubitat. I never thought about the distance because Zigbee switch that’s 5 feet away from the Z wave switch worked perfectly.

edited: i still have the driver set to the generic zwave driver. when i went back to the leviton drive it seems to now update the dashboard like it should.

1 Like

Look at the route it's taking. Sometimes z-wave routing seems very byzantine

The OTA-V12 file contains firmware 1.20 wrapped up in a Windows executable. The newer ota files are distributed without the updater executable, but you have to ask for them specifically. To the best of my knowledge, the current firmware version for the DZ6HD is 1.22. I posted some additional info if anyone is interested.

Note that the Generic Z-Wave Plus Dimmer driver will not work with the DZ6HD because that driver does not support Hail which is (very unfortunately) still required. Use the Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer driver instead.

1 Like