[DRIVER] Zooz ZAC38 Range Extender (and Power Outage Monitor)

Zooz ZAC38 Range Extender and Power Outage Monitor driver with the goal of exposing all advanced features and settings. This device has a battery backup and will report when it switches over to battery power!

If you are using this driver PLEASE like :heart: this post
:handshake: Support my work by clicking the Info & Purchase affiliate link below to buy!

Current Version: v1.0.0

:white_check_mark: Supported Products:

:ballot_box_with_check: Features List:

• Specifically tuned to this device
  • Events include battery level and power source
  • All device parameter settings are exposed

:lady_beetle: Reporting Issues :beetle:
Please use GitHub to report any issues so each one can have its own conversation and tracking. Please provide as much info as you can including model, firmware and the "configVals" data string. Issues · jtp10181/Hubitat · GitHub

Must PRESS CONFIGURE BUTTON and check all your parameters after changing to this driver.
-- Unplug then plug the device back in to fully initialize it --

:eight_spoked_asterisk: Find on Hubitat Package Manager (HPM):
Package Name: :small_blue_diamond: Zooz ZAC38 Range Extender :small_blue_diamond:
HPM Install Docs: HPM Documentation

:eight_spoked_asterisk: OR Manual Download from GitHub
Direct Import URL: [zooz-zac38-range-extender]
Full Repository Link: Hubitat/Drivers/zooz at main · jtp10181/Hubitat · GitHub

:beer: :coffee: Donations: ---->>>> PayPal.Me <<<<---- :money_with_wings: Never required, always appreciated!
:handshake: Support me by purchasing at TheSmartestHouse.com through my affiliate link!

19 Likes

Awesome - have a couple of these arriving this weekend! Thank you sir!

Did you order knowing I would have a driver on the way? :laughing: I have actually had it developed for over a month, and Zooz forgot to tell me they finally released it for sale. Just happened to see it for sale on the site this morning.

1 Like

Ha, no, I didn't know you had a driver in the works. I was just planning to wing it with the Generic ZW Repeater driver, but I was preparing myself to be underwhelmed.

This is great news though - unusually busy weekend here, but I hope to have time late Sunday to install.

Thanks again!

Does the battery reporting actually resemble reality?

No idea yet, but as long as it can reliably report going from mains to battery in a power outage, I'll be happy.

Beyond the power-out time limit you may have set up to shut down your hub (that's on a UPS of course), you're just at the mercy of how long the outage lasts -- if it's long enough to actually drain the Z38's battery, so it goes I guess.

Good points. I guess the battery info isn't so important. With so many battery related configuration options, it just seems like it should report accurately.

I will set mine up for data exporting and unplug it and see what happens. If I remember correctly it took over a day for any noticeable drop.

Update: Testing is in progress, will post a chart when there is something to look at. Made my first dashboard directly in InfluxDB to track just this one device. Nice and simple with a query builder.

8/14/2023 - @jameslslate Stayed at 100% for about a day, then took another day to fully discharge. Updated chart to show recharge as well.

Looks like it is reporting in nicely as well. The warn logs are generated by the device sending a low battery alert, which is configurable. Sort of useless when we can just monitor the battery level with HE but it reports it so I do something with it.

4 Likes

I ordered one as soon as I saw this thread. Thanks!

Just installed mine - picked up your driver upon install each time, so that was great.

These things are a chonkier than I thought they would be, but I guess that's the price of stuffing a battery in there. I got them to fit fine in each spot, so all's well that ends well.

Tip for others in the future -- after inclusion & setup, pull it out of the outlet and pop it back in -- that's what seems to finally get it to actually report as being on "mains' power. I discovered that accidentally, but then it worked every time for the rest of 'em. And if that's documented somewhere and I missed it, mea culpa.

Refresh should do it also. Must be something with the initialization sequence where its not working right, because it does send a refresh request. I saw some invalid null messages coming in when I paired mine recently for final testing, might have something to do with that.

1 Like

Thanks Jeff!

1 Like

It works perfectly so far! Thanks! Now I have power outage detection!

I put this near the area where my devices were occasionally having issues. I hope it helps solve my sporadic ZWave issues too.

It doesn't seem to. Refresh didn't seem to change anything, but as soon as I unplugged it finally acquired a state for "powerSource" as battery, and then plugging it back in changed that status to "mains"

1 Like

I switched to the "Device" driver, deleted Current States, switched back and hit refresh. Worked fine here. :person_shrugging:. So if anything it is some sort of device quirk. Maybe since I have unplugged mine before it works. Possibly if you NEVER unplug it, it wont report the power source status.

1 Like

Thanks for the great driver! I currently use the “contact sensor + relay” for my freezer power outage notifications. I just bought two of these but can’t figure out how to get them to show up in Basic Rules as notification devices. The others that I have show as contact sensors but these don’t show. Any thoughts on how I can integrate these with rules? Thanks!

You may need to unplug and re plug it to get the power source attribute to show. I think you will need to use RM and create a trigger for when the powerSource changes to battery. Not sure if basic rules has that as a trigger?

It doesn't work as a notification device. It just provides it's status as an attribute, and you can use that in automations by monitoring that status attribute. I don't use Basic Rules, but in Rule Machine, you can do this easily, and then notify your phone when a change occurs. For example:

1 Like

Very cool! Thanks!

UPDATE

Bumped version to 1.0 and added to HPM finally. No significant changes to driver.

Version [1.0.0] - 2023-10-25

• Library code updated
  • Minor updates and code cleanup
1 Like