What device do I need for this Scenario?

Do you have a public utilities commission in your state?
I'd suggest making a complaint to them.
The utility should be bound to investigate this issue.
The PUC can light a fire under its ■■■.

1 Like

Honestly, I have no idea. I'll have to research. I live in Kentucky, in Jefferson County. My utility company is LG&E (Louisville Gas and Electric).

I do plan on calling and raising some H-E-Double Hockey sticks... but I'd like to see exactly what is happening first, so I will know if they are trying to BS me.

Thank you for the suggestion.

The utility has all sorts of devices that they can attach to your service and measure service quality over time.

1 Like

The issue it's causing me, is that it power cycles my two servers. Both servers have a boot issue (I'll try to fix at some point), that requires human intervention whenever it is powered down and back on.

I guess I should also investigate backup power supplies.. as that would probably band-aid the issue for now. And just connect one to each server.

Yes.. you would think, wouldn't you :wink: I think it's all relatively new, and they are experiencing some growing pains. But, don't reduce my quality, and continue to charge me full price. And at the very least, offer me some type of reconciliation... not just an apology.

The new Zooz ZAC38 also can be used to report power outages.

Zooz 800 Series Z-Wave Plus Range Extender ZAC38 - The Smartest House

2 Likes

Correct. It will connect Z-Wave to your Hubitat hub, and as a bonus will be a range extender for other devices as needed.

1 Like

Oh nice. I do have a few Zooz devices, and like them. Will that work with my C-7? Is it still compatible with repeating Z-wave 700 series signals?

I don't have one, but I'd be quite surprised if it didn't. There's quite a bit of documentation at Search results for zac38 - Zooz Support Center (getzooz.com)

If I needed a range extender or a power outage detector, I'd spend the extra couple dollars for the ZAC38 over the Ring extender for the support alone, and the additional functionality.

Yeah... the Zooz is speaking a little more loudly to me between the two. I think I'm going to try that one first.

Thank you, both. I know both of you are power users here, and I 100% respect your time and assistance. I'll post back after I have installed it and received my first report.

Please have a great weekend!!

4 Likes

Thanks for creating this thread! I already have 3 Ring Range Extenders in use as power status monitors/triggers, but I just ordered 1 of the Zooz to try out. I had no idea the Zooz was out there as a product.

Assuming it works for that purpose (and -obviously- there's no reason to think it won't,) I like the Zooz over the Ring because it's a 'native' device, designed to be used on HE (and other) hubs, and not like the Ring where we're just 'borrowing' it for our use. (Which is what the 'support' comment was driving at, I'm sure.)

2 Likes

I agree. I'll be curious to know your interpretations after using it a bit. I just ordered mine as well.

1 Like

Make sure your Hubitat hub is also on a UPS, otherwise the Ring Range Extender will not be able to share the power status from LINE to BATTERY. Also, make sure to plug in the Ring Range extender device near the Hubitat hub, so it will have a direct Z-Wave connection. Otherwise, when your other mains-powered Z-Wave repeating devices lose power, the Ring Extender will not be able to communicate with the hub.

2 Likes

That makes complete sense. Thank you for the precaution. I would have completely overlooked that detail.

1 Like

I don't know where I got this from (but probably a failure within my own house,) or whether or not it's still needed, but I added a rule that when the hub restarts, my range extenders (and a few other devices) get an automatic refresh. That helps in the case where the hub doesn't catch the change in status. (Doesn't help for your exact problem, but I thought I'd point it out.)

I agree with the above post that your hub should be on a UPS* and the range extender is close enough to have a direct connection.

*Your hub should be on a UPS, anyway, as to not possibly corrupt the database with spurious, uncommanded shutdowns.

I don't know how likely an explanation this is, but it might push them to agree to come back out to your house to take a look at least.

I would call them back and tell them you're concerned that the meter upgrade has caused a "floating neutral" condition. I'm not an electrician, but I believe that is what occurs when a neutral wire is partially or completely disconnected, and it can occur on your side of the meter, or the utility company's. It is potentially very dangerous and must be fixed asap, if present.

The symptoms, as I understand them, are intermittent and variable. Lights flickering and overloaded (i.e. fried) electronic equipment are more typical, from what I've read. But the utility company can't just "check" something on their end over the phone to rule out that floating neutral condition, particularly if it's a loose/intermittent connection issue.

Hope that helps :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

There are also services like Sense and Ting, which gather data on power conditions in your house and then through the magic of AI, claim to be able to alert homeowners to all kinds of abnormal or dangerous faults. I have a ting, which says my wiring is fine, but take any claims from companies like this with a grain of salt.

~26 hours* in: so far, so good. :+1:

Random notes & quibbles in no particular order:

• Inclusion was smooth. I didn't exclude first like the manual says you might need to do. I did not pair using any S2 security, and all functions seem to be operating normally.
  • I have no idea what the LED on the front when it's not in inclusion mode . It did blink as the manual suggested it would during the inclusion process, but the manual doesn't say why it blinks when you remove it from mains power. It's perhaps rather obvious, but some explanation in the manual would be nice.
  • I'm not bothered by the form factor. It's a bit thicker than the Ring extender, but obviously not as large in footprint. That said, I don't have any places where this will fit but the Ring wouldn't. (Actually, I need to measure or test with this unit, as the thickness may hinder me in one specific location.)
  • I am bothered by the stickers on the unit. There's no way to get a plain/all-white side to show. It would have been nice (but not strictly necessary) if they could have done that. Having a silver sticker showing just moves the tacky needle, if ever-so-slightly.
  • Performance:
    • The radio seems strong. I placed this one in a place that doesn't need any power source reporting, but could use some help via a repeater. Unfortunately, the node info hasn't populated yet, but the Z-Wave mesh app reports it can see nearly every other Z-Wave device I have. If that's true, then this may have the best radio I've in the building.
    • It is quick and reliable to report power source changes (n=~10 in testing) and it is reporting battery according to the parameters set.
    • It hasn't picked up any repeating routes yet. I know that's a function of the Z-Wave chips in the various devices, but I hope it does, if the radio is as good as it appears to be. (Insert standard 'why does Z-Wave route the way it does?' rant.)

*I think the USPS screwed me by a day or two. It took the strangest route to get here.

Yes, works fine on C7 and you will want this driver: [DRIVER] Zooz ZAC38 Range Extender (and Power Outage Monitor)

USPS is now using Z-Wave routing for iot packages. :wink:

3 Likes