Aqara FP2 released

This article speaks to the latest firmware update...

5 Likes

The Aqara FP2 was not nominated to participate in the final "Product of the Year Elevated by Hubitat in 2023 " list, but we can still vote for its little brother - the Linptech mmWave sensor.

4 Likes

That's just not right. It deserves this more than any other. No new device as unique and feature rich has been introduce this year that exceeds what it's capable of.

2 Likes

I am sure it will become a users' favorite in 2024, once Matter takes off (assuming they make good on their promises :wink:)

4 Likes

Are there any good tutorials for setting this up with hubitat (without alexa or homekit)? Picked up one but havent had much luck, guessing i need one of those two or the m2 hub?

Only other way I'm aware of currently is via Home Assistant (using the HomeKit Device integration) and Home Assistant Device Bridge to bring the zone status back into Hubitat.

Despite the name, that integraton doesn't require you are a HomeKit user. It simply uses an integration on Home Assistant to allow it to act like a HomeKit Controller (which was the former and less confusing name of it). Once the FP2 is added to the HA HomeKit Device integration, the zones you setup in the Aqara app for the FP2 will show up in HA as occupancy entities. HADB can then bring these entities into Hubitat where they show up as motion sensor devices.

3 Likes

Well, it worked directly with habitat if you m2
Hub?

No. There's no integration for that.

The FP2 doesn't need a hub. It's WiFi, not Zigbee like the FP1 was. Currently it uses HomeKit over WiFi for communication. Eventually it is supposed to support Matter over WiFi and then it should be able to work with Hubitat directly.

2 Likes

So if im understaning correctly i can just download homekit and the aqara app, set it all up and do the virtual switches in hubitat? so wouldn't need any other equipment or home assist?

1 Like

Sort of. You’re not actually “using” HomeKit per se, when you add that integration to HA. You’re just adding an integration and connecting the FP2 to that integration. The integration between HA and Hubitat happens via HADB.

You don’t need any Apple devices.

2 Likes

Awesome I’ll try and get it set up tomorrow and see how it goes. I hate how big of a pain Aqara devices are to connect… their products look awesome

1 Like

Using Home Assistant as a bridge to get Aqara devices into Hubitat is extremely useful and works very well. I have many Aqara devices. Since adding Home Assistant two years ago as a bridge, they all connect easily and stay connected. I then use Home Assistant Device Bridge to bring their state into Hubitat where I automate everything.

1 Like

You definitely need an instance of Home Assistant running on a separate piece of hardware (I.e. something aside from the Hubitat hub.)

1 Like

Agreed, that's my preferred way to run it too, but if you want to first test the waters, you can start out with a virtual machine or a docker. I started out with a Linux VM, and then moved to a Python VM (which was very fast, but limited and difficult to install), and then finally I imaged the full HA Supervised on a high endurance microSD, installed in a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB. Most of these are super easy to setup, becuase there's an image that has the HA OS and HA, plus the Add-ons all in one. That's been very stable and plenty fast for my needs.

True, but a VM or Docker has to still run on some piece of hardware other than the Hubitat Elevation hub. I was just wanting to make sure that was clear to @Davinci515. :wink:

1 Like

True. Virtual hardware running on separate physical hardware

1 Like

Wait so I can’t just run it in home kit and set up the virtual switches?

Sure, if you have a device on your home network that can perform the role of an "Apple Home Hub". This needs to be a Apple HomePod Mini or fairly recent Apple TV. And, of course you'll need an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to configure things on the Apple Home side of things.

The "Apple Home Hub" is needed to run the automations that will make use of the Hubitat Virtual Switches that your share to Apple HomeKit.

So, your options today to use a Aqara FP2 with Hubitat are:

FP2 -> Genuine Apple HomeKit (Automations) -> HE Virtual Switches (as described above - requires additional Genuine Apple hardware) LOCAL

FP2 -> Amazon Alexa (Alexa Routines) -> HE Virtual Switches (requires no hardware, but does require Alexa Cloud) CLOUD

FP2 -> Home Assistant (via HomeKit Device Integration) -> Hubitat (via HADB Integration) (requires additional hardware running Home Assistant) LOCAL

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, guess I’ll be returning it for now lmao. Already have more Google minis than I need, not a fan of HomeKit or Apple in general (so over priced) but I do have a iPhone. Went with hubitat over home assist due to feeling like it was too much to bite off while trying to figure out everything else lol. Hopefully the matter integration is released soon

1 Like

It might be possible using Google Home as well, but that would also involve a Cloud-based solution. I am not 100% certain if this works or not...

FP2 -> Google Home (Google Home Routines) -> HE Virtual Switches (requires no hardware, but does require Google Cloud) CLOUD

And it also looks like IFTTT might be another option.