Aqara FP2 released

Agara FP2 users, how are you satisfied with these sensors?
And how are you using them in automation(s) if you actually using them?

I bought two of FP2s long time ago but even with the latest firmware update these sensors
still are nothing more than nice expensive toys. Once in while I am playing with one FP2 installed
in the Living Room with 4 zones defined (second one is in the spare drawer). Sensor actually
works but it is very unreliable leaving ghosts 3-4 times out of 10 trigger events. This way it
absolutely cannot be used in any automation(s).
From the other side I am very happy with Linptech sensors. I have two of them installed in
a Bathroom and Kitchen. They are very reliable and maybe failing 1 out of 1000 trigger events.

I'm only using one. Really cannot justify two of them. I have it in my kitchen above the cabinet, which points out toward our dining/living room area. This has turned out to be ideal for this space and it covers two zones in the kitchen, two zones in the dining room, and the living room zone. Brilliant little device.

I'm still on version 1.9 and really don't know if it creates ghosts all the time or not. I didn't have any that stuck around long enough to worry about when I looked at the Aqara app last. Now that it's setup, I really don't touch the app. Seems to work perfectly in HA and sends that to HE as motion sensor events via HADB for my HE automations.

Totally satisfied with it and for me, it's very reliable.

2 Likes

I am glad, it works for you reliably. Unfortunately in my case no matter how hard I am trying
to play with settings failure rate is absolutely unacceptable. So, for me it is still expensive toy.

My company has no work from home, and everyone is in office. :stuck_out_tongue: No plans to change that any time soon. So far not having any issues recruiting or retaining people either.

And cubicles are definitely still in existence here.

1 Like

@vitaliy_kh,
Me too, after many complaints from the family in the past with unreliable motion sensors in the bathroom & shower and being unable to use radar presence sensors in the bathroom; the FP2 has proven to be the most reliable even with a setting of turn off after 10 seconds of inactivity.
FP2 1 - Bathroom
FP2 2 - Hallway (moved from living/kitchen - using two radar presence sensors instead, linptech and 24Ghz radar)

1 Like

Same here. I have one FP2 that I use as my only “motion sensor” in our family room. It is used to both trigger lighting automations and to turn lights off as well. In other words, I am not using a PIR for this part of the house. We tend to sit fairly still while watching television, and the old PIR sensors always turned off the lights when we weren’t moving enough. The FP2 has been doing great (except for the recent introduction of the Christmas Tree, which blocks its view partially! :joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hey Vitaliy_kh,

The reason why it's working so well and usable is due to HA. The HA community has tons of support for integrations. If you have the time and the hardware it's a great combination to lockdown your automations.

I really don't have the time, nor the hardware at this time. I am trying to keep a minimalistic approach toward my home automations.

If this is not the case for you , I recommend it!

:smile:

Yes, my FP2 integration with HE is HA+HADB The integration itself works just fine, no problems.
The problem is FP2 sensor itself. With original firmware FP2 sensor was 100%+ useless.
I.e. sensor produced too many ghosts. Each following update (except for the last one) made some
improvements but in my case FP2 sensor is still very unreliable.
I am happy to hear it actually works at least for few users.

1 Like

I can't say I have followed this topic closely enough to know if this is relevant for your situation @vitaliy_kh , but I know for me, 2 of the 3 FP2's I have seem to perform perfectly fine, though not tightly integrated into my lighting setup, but the one I have in the lounge room is problematic, due to what I expect is related to ghosts produced by the nearby curved TV producing ghosts as a result of the shiny surface. I had similar issues when I tried to use it for much longer distances to my kitchen that includes a glass sliding door.

I guess the upshot of what I am trying to say is, one person's great experience versus your less than ideal one, can come down to a number of factors, including the firmware being used as well as environmental like I described. So I wouldn't see it necessarily as "I can't use the FP2", but hopefully more a case that it may not work (for now) in the location you are trying to use it.

3 Likes

First day with the new FP2 and realized a couple things (I think).

When first connecting it to the power supply I planned to use, I could never get the LED to do anything. Swapping out power supplies and USB-C to USB-C cables didn't help. Then tried a USB-C to USB-A (like the cable included) and that worked. Googling reddit found similar reports. Odd.

My initial plan for mounting was to mount it in the corner of the room at the ceiling angled down 45 degrees just like my Blink camera to maximize the area it could see. But apparently this won't work well as it was really disorienting trying to map out the room. Is it correct that the choices are flat on the wall or flat on the ceiling? If ceiling mounted, is the field it can see limited to 2 meters. or is that just for the fall protection feature? I'd prefer a ceiling mount, but the room is more like 6 meters square. I can understand wall mount at eye level is probably ideal but my spousal unit already considers it creepy and that won't help.

Yes, it is counter-intuitive, but it needs to be as flat as possible. Don’t mount it high either. About the same height as a wall switch seems to be the best position.

3 Likes

Yes, ceiling mounting limits the field of view, but does offer ‘fall detection’ capabilities.

I have mine wall mounted and it works great at about 6.5’ of elevation, with just a slight downward angle. Here is a photo of my installation which has worked amazingly well (except for the Christmas tree creating a dead zone! I did not account for holiday decor when I chose the location. :joy:) The tree will be down soon, though

And here is how I have it configured.

7 Likes

I have to admit to ignoring recommendations and just testing what worked best in my environment. I think that is possibly a recommendation I read somewhere, so I’m also bad at ignoring recommendations :joy:

Ours is mounted above our kitchen cabinets and angled down slightly too. My thinking was, to keep the face of the sensor perpendicular to the furthest target, which for us is the far end of our couch in the living room. This has worked out well for covering four zones simultaneously. The height is nearly 8 feet.

5 Likes

Don't you mean parallel (as it wouldn't see anything perpendicular to the face)? But if so, yeah, I think that is the issue. I was trying to put it where two walls and ceiling meet, so it wasn't parallel or perpendicular to any room wall. Trying to map out the room was like trying to use a mouse holding it sideways.

While that is true for a PIR-based motion sensor, the mmWave-based motion sensors see any motion within their field of view.

I think my frame of reference was wrong due to insufficient coffee intake. I was thinking about the far wall being a line parallel to the face of the sensor, so that's where the widest field of view would be. Now that I'm fully awake, I see that the perpendicular originally referenced was a line drawn from the face of the sensor. So never mind.

3 Likes

Me again on my journey to find a good place to mount this. I decided I would just go with a ceiling mount and understand that the coverage area would be a circle beneath it and not the whole room. What I didn't catch was that ceiling mounted gives you fall detection and basic absent/present and that's all. No zone, no indication of where movement is within the circle, number of people, etc.

So back to the wall with it. Apparently, it doesn't have to be completely flat against the wall. It can be tilted a bit, according to this image on their website. And they actually recommend in the app to put it in a corner. That combination is what I tried yesterday but mapping the room was wonky. Perhaps my error was that the Aqara logo wasn't horizontal, although I thought it was.

1 Like

I expect this is because that may be based on the distance from the sensor, which doesn't make sense when it's overhead.

2 Likes

Some nice features added...

4 Likes

Was there an update today or something? I don't see these, but it's likely that the update may not have been pushed to me yet.