Wyze Lock (Bluetooth and Zigbee?)

Wyze is on a roll. To think they just started off by rebranding a Xiaomi camera with their own firmware..

2 Likes

The prices are definitely right. A bit of a black eye with the recent Xnor.ai kerfuffle. Hope that gets resolved fairly quickly and we donā€™t suffer with worse person detection that we have now.

2 Likes

Yeah, that hurts. My person detection has gotten pretty accurate. So much so, I'd even considered subscribing to the Complete Motion service.

1 Like

The way they phrased that announcement, it sounds like if you just donā€™t upgrade your firmware, then they canā€™t shut off your person detection. Which would make sense because that runs local.

1 Like

That's the way I read it too. Do they have the ability to push anything to us? I hope not!

2 Likes

Only the notifications that new firmware is available :smiley:

1 Like

Wirecutter just listed the Wyze as something they'll be testing (https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-smart-lock/). It seems like the auto-unlock will be similar to August Pro using geofence as phase 1 and bluetooth connection as phase 2 (which I've had good luck with). It also has an open door sensor. At $90 with gateway, seems like a good deal. It will be interesting to see more after it ships. One thing I miss on the August Pro is being able to easily temporarily disable auto-lock (either until the door is reopened or via Alexa). If I'm going out to work in the garage, it's a pain to turn it off in the app or have to use the app to unlock.

With Auto-Unlock your door automatically unlocks when you come home. This works by using your phoneā€™s location to detect when youā€™re coming back and unlocking when your phone is close enough to connect to Wyze Lock via Bluetooth.

Replying to stay up to date on this. Very interested after watching the youtube video on the lock.

Pretty cool video.

I own one and good luck getting it to work with habitat. I was able to connect it however it was seen three times (Instances) by the Hub. Not sure if it was picking up the locks hub as well, but In any case itā€™s going to take some fiddling at best and it may not work at worst.

Iā€™ve only had this thing an hour and Iā€™m already missing home assistant. Sitting here looking at our raspberry pi 4 which cost less than this habitat, and seems like it can do so much more.

I donā€™t understand why this is so difficult, I have a consulting corporation thatā€™s about to be auto shut down by the state of New Hampshire because I canā€™t get a goddamn contract from a company that wonā€™t steal from me, and it seems like all of these companies need a little bit of product consulting.

Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll want it free, correction actually I had to pay to get it because I had to pay for the box.

First off, welcome to Hubitat.

Are you saying that you can control the lock from the Hubitat device page? Or that you got it to pair with Hubitat as a zigbee "device"?

No Iā€™m saying the exact opposite, it will find the device, it will install it, however it will not work as of now, Iā€™m still trying to play with it and see if I can get something for Work on the backend. I have to look to see if I can add code to habitat like I do with Home Assistant. Just got a Hubitat a few hours ago in the mail so I am brand new using this hub.

I set up Home Assistant without issue, and I know a thing or two about programming. Certainly not some expert however I was doing it years ago for the government. Probably forgot more than I know now however I can get by. Hopefully I can figure out something to make these locks work because in Home assistant I can pretty much do whatever I need to do with custom code; here it seems a little bit more limited, however admittedly I am brand new at using Hubitat and havenā€™t even had time to finish poking around with most of the set up so Iā€™m going to reserve any further comments until I have a better chance to play with things.

Iā€™ll let you know if I get things working.

I may be getting somewhere or using the generic zigbee driver. Will update tonight.

Welcome to Hubitat! For the best experience, I'd recommend sticking to devices from the compatible device list. You'll note that the Wyze Lock is not on there, nor does Wyze officially support it with anything besides their own Wyze Bridge/Gateway. That being said, you can make most Zigbee (HA 1.2 or 3.0) or Z-Wave devices work with Hubitat or at least pair, but some may need a custom driver or other trickery to work.

The Wyze Lock is, as far as I can tell, one of that latter kind; while Zigbee, I could get it to pair, but the Generic Zigbee Lock driver on Hubitat only partially worked, as both I and someone else noted in another thread here:

I was not able to figure out anything more (someone with more talent Zigbee probably could, and we could do even better by encouraging Wyze to give Hubitat staff what they need to add official support). Note that once you change to this driver, as your recent edit appears you've done, be sure to click "Configure" to send the correct configuration to the device (for Zigbee, this mostly affects what data it reports back).

Hubitat supports custom app (automation) and driver (device) code, the latter of which is similar to HASS's Zigbee "Quirks" for ZHA/Zigbee 3.0 devices like this, but it still requires knowing how the device works--sometimes that is often not public information if the device differs from standards or even conventions. HASS and Hubitat are more or less equally capable here aside from the fact that Hubitat is a commercial product with the hub software itself being closed-source.

I have a spare one of these laying around (by which I mean I didn't like it and replaced it with a Z-Wave lock instead...) but could take a look to see if anything has changed recently.

OK well this company is on the list of approved items so apparently they are working with Hubitat however no one bothered adding the temperature and humidity sensor so apparently that doesnā€™t work either. I just looked over the list of compatible devices thereā€™s less than 50 on there. Why the hell would I spend $140 on a box thatā€™s limited to about 50 devices. I donā€™t understand this everyoneā€™s said home assistant was so much more difficult to set up I had zero issues, I came over to this because I was worried about updates screwing up my setup as I no longer have time to be a full-time system admin on my house. Itā€™s incredible that this company broke off from Samsung trying to come up with the perfect box and yet all they did was mirror Samsung and make it off-line. Itā€™s the same garbage that Samsung did too. Itā€™s ironic to see the same failures coming out of the same development team, which is now proving the point that itā€™s not all big corporations that are the problem but itā€™s their people who are developing the products as well.

This thing is $150 box that can do significantly less then a $60 raspberry pi. You talk about it being commercialized, while I expect a hell of a lot more from a commercial product thatā€™s $150. There shouldnā€™t be any issues, it should just connect to Z wave and Zigbee devices without issue. Thatā€™s what weā€™re paying for in a commercial product. Home assistant is free and has so much better integration. Where is live map option For life 360, tile, or even the mobile app? Hass I can set up the ability to track my family members, and they can track me all from one simple map that took a few button clicks to set up. All I can see here is presence, I donā€™t see the option to add my life 360 account for anything other than that. Why canā€™t I had a live map? I can do it in Home Assistant.

I saw one of the first posts here from a few years ago people screaming for money, to buy more hubs, to support the company. What were they doing with the money. If this was my project this would be significantly different, do you want to make a commercial alternative to smart things you should have fix the problems with smart things. I just love how the free community alternative that can be run on a junk computer or a virtual machine is so much easier to set up, and works with more devices. That was the whole point of going with Hubitat so that I didnā€™t have some crazy issue setting this thing up, and it would work with everything Zigbee and Z wave. I just donā€™t understand this thing is limited to whoever theyā€™ve partnered with, and even thatā€™s a crapshoot because this company that does my temperature and humidity sensor works with them, they have a bunch of devices listed, but not this one. So Iā€™m going to buy another ridiculously overpriced hub, and be stuck using it with whatever they tell me? Sounds like another Logitech Harmony scam, the whole point of this hub was it was supposed to unify everything not just be another expensive box I donā€™t need attached to my system.

Even the hue integration is awful.

Edit it because Siri voice typing & autocorrect is as terrible as the Device integration with this box.

Edit three I can only imagine whatā€™s going to happen when I try to attach my robot vacuum. Iā€™m already infuriated with this garbage, will be checking the return policy because this is not intuitive, this is not easy, and this is not a ready for the public commercial product.

In fact I canā€™t believe Iā€™m saying this and itā€™s a complete and utter testament to how far home assistant has come, Home assistant is actually easier. It blows my mind because it certainly is not user-friendly, and I wouldnā€™t recommend it to anyone who doesnā€™t have programming skills, but Home assistant is easier than Hubitat. Just two years ago I would have avoided like the plague, I canā€™t actually believe Iā€™m defending it. I had such high hopes, and there was a gut feeling that told me not to go with this habitat. Iā€™m so glad I didnā€™t return the Z wave/Zigbee dongle for my raspberry pi. I just set that up last week so I know exactly what it took to set up, And it was nothing compared to this nonsense. Every device I attached to it just worked and if it didnā€™t there was some custom code that I just pasted in there, and it worked fine. That doesnā€™t seem to be the case with habitat.

Temperature and humidity reports from this device work with the built-in driver. Since your screenshot is of Hubitat Dashboard, it's possible you have the wrong template chosen for this device there. (I know it's confusing, but "multi sensor" isn't really the one you want--that's designed for devices like the ST multisensor where open/close from a contact sensor is the primary attribute. I don't use this on a Dashboard so can't tell you which is best, but dedicated temperature or humidity tiles should be one option, albeit with two separate tiles if you want both.) The other possibility is that if you just paired the device, it may not have sent a temperature or humidity report yet. The best place to look here is the device page itself (under "Devices")--under "Current States," you should see all expected attributes like temperature and humidity. If not, a "Refresh" command (from that page) may help, or if it's not even reporting this like motion, then you may want to check that it paired correctly. If you just got a C-7 hub, the Inovelli supports S2 and will try that by default, but secure devices are a bit trickier to pair. Trying again after an exclusion may help.

This is a fairly conservative list of things staff have tested and know to work with the built-in drivers. Again, most Zigbee and (especially) Z-Wave devices can probably be made to work to some extent, but you may need custom drivers or community assistance. Unlike Home Assistant, Hubitat does not have an array of reverse-engineered cloud integrations, but it does have a few cloud and LAN integrations.

What isn't working well for you with Hue? I wrote my own Hue Bridge integration because some features were missing, but I didn't have problems with the built-in Hue Bridge integration.

I don't know of any robot vacuums on the compatible device list, though I think I may have seen a community integration or two, and there's always IFTTT as a middleperson if you need that.

I'm sorry you have some frustrations with the product. I know learning a new system can be daunting--that is how I felt on Home Assistant when I was new to it, and when I switched from it to Hubitat a couple years ago, Hubitat actually had much better Zigbee (and at least as good of Z-Wave) support. As you note, Home Assistant has gotten better since then (I had counltess Zigbee devices I couldn't get to work, a showstopper for me since I already had them). I still use both a little bit, but Hubitat has almost all of my devices and automations. Don't be afraid to use the community to figure things out. It's possible the product won't meet your exact needs, but it's also possible you'll like it as you learn more. You can also use both and do what each one does best; there are a few integrations like the HACS Hubitat add-on or MQTT.

Good luck as you go forward, whichever way it may be!

1 Like

You were correct! This was a multi sensor and I had it set up as a multi sensor first, however after waiting 15 min getting nothing, I then I changed it over to just a temperature and humidity sensor. It still didnā€™t work which is why I made the post. I guess the issue was that I didnā€™t wait for it to poll after changing it over because now itā€™s showing up and I have done nothing to change anything since. My fault, though Iā€™m not sure why the product isnā€™t listed in the drop-down for this company if itā€™s supported and I doubt the rest of the functions are going to work because itā€™s only set up as a temperature and humidity sensor not a multi sensor which again didnā€™t work as you pointed out too.

Iā€™ve already hijack this thread enough, which is something I hate doing especially for a first post. I also have to gather my thoughts and have more time with this box before I make any further posts, I hate to be the one to say something that isnā€™t correct because of my own ignorance. First impressions though arenā€™t good. The whole point of a commercial product is to do better than an open source product. The reason I bought this box was to unify the entire house the same way Home assistant did however without having to manage a Home automation server myself. It should just work out of box, it shouldnā€™t be limited to a number of devices and a number of manufacturers, and it shouldnā€™t take any sort of great hassle or fiddling to get anything to work. Thatā€™s the point of a commercial product. What really annoys me is that the same line of thinking that was going on at smart things seems to be going on here, just the opposite side of the same coin. When is somebody going to give us a different coin entirely?

@jonathan.estok

The iNovelli 4-in-1 sensor definitely works as a multisensor under Hubitat. There are several people here using it.

@bcopeland also wrote an advanced driver for it:

Hello @jonathan.estok, Welcome. As @bertabcd1234 replied, one of the great things about Hubitat is the community. I switched from an ancient X-10 system to Hubitat so I don't have experience with HA. I can say the company works to add support for more devices all the time and there are lots of people from different backgrounds who add support for devices as well. You may want to look at the list of devices that have been reported to work or have community drivers:

Thank you but Iā€™m returning my hub, Iā€™m done. For anyone whoā€™s looking for this locks integration all you need is home assistant and a Nortek zigbee/Z wave controller. I have it set up on raspberry pi 4 working amazing. Even better you donā€™t need their WYZE lock hub (You know the ones that connect to those Chinese servers like everything else made in China). Iā€™m not kidding just paired directly through the zigbee interface on home assistant and 10 seconds later CONTROL YOUR LOCK (open/closed/lock_state/battery_state). I even unplugged the damn Wyze lock hub And it kept working. Obviously cloud integration no longer works, however Bluetooth locally works as well, in case your Hass server goes down (plus this one has a key back up).

This is why I love open source. Anyway goodbye habitat, it lasted less than 24 hours. Iā€™m even more infuriated that I have to call them to factory reset my hub and remove my private information, some thing I should be able to do locally with a hub thatā€™s advertised as a ā€œlocally focusedā€ hub. As bad as Samsung, no surprise itā€™s the same people.

1 Like

You can factory-reset your own Hubitat hub, but I'm glad Support was able to help you out in any case (though I'm not sure who you "called" if that is literal since that is not a service they offer). Hubitat has no connection with Samsung, BTW, other than that many of the original staff were former ST community members, like how you and I are Hubitat community members.

The problems you mentioned seem to stem from the fact that a single device that is not officially compatible does not work. While unfortunate because that device is important to you, this will occasionally be the case with any hub/software you use. (If it works with HASS, it's likely something Hubitat staff could do if they had one. Wyze seems uninterested in making it work with anything besides their own Gateway. Home Assistant likely reverse-engineered the communication the same way Hubitat--who have, IMHO understandably, prioritized the support of standards-conforming locks, most of which aren't at terribly dissimilar price points--would have to.) I am not saying I think you are wrong for leaving; you should use the hub/software the best suits your needs, and, while many of us like the product, the reality is that will not be Hubitat for everyone. Just pointing out the facts for anyone else who happens to see this thread.

Zigbee devices can be paired to only one "coordinator" (hub) at a time, so not only do you not need the Wyze Gateway, you couldn't use it as above because it's not possible to do so. Bluetooth is indeed supported locally on the lock (that is also how the lock communicates to the Gateway). But hopefully your HASS never goes down so you need to do that. :slight_smile:

Good luck on future home-automation endeavors!

3 Likes