Vote for Shelly UNI

May I ask here how many people would like a Driver for Shelly UNI?
:slight_smile:

2 Likes
I need Shelly UNI drive
  • Yes.
  • Yes Please.
  • Definitely the most important thing in my life.
  • No.

0 voters

1 Like

I see no valid reason for a UNI driver. Unless someone can offer a valid use case I won't be coding one as I have talked to a few others about it already and we see no reason for one.

1 Like

Scott
I use a couple of Uni so I have a use for a driver :joy:
Guess I’ll have to work on my own use case and work with that

Andy

3 Likes

A multifunctional object has no predefined purpose, but opens up unexpected possibilities for automation.
That's the beautiful thing about it.
Maybe there are other more versatile objects but I don't know them.

1 Like

cheeky....

The UNI is a controller device just like the HE hub and not a device that doesn't work unless it has a hub that it can pair with.

Lastly the UNI isn't available in the US still and from what I understand it won't be until 3rd quarter of this year.

2 Likes

Hi, we have started working with the Shelly Uni, so I'm just wondering if there is a Hubitat driver for this device yet? It seems from this discussion that there isn't one yet?

Tks, AB

1 Like

It might be worth pointing out that there are Hubitat users around the world, not just in the US.

The UNI is nothing like a HE, unless I misunderstand their documentation. I have an old-school SeaMaid pool lighting controller that I would like to replace the PCB with a UNI and use it to control the lighting relay plus get water temperature, pump status, door open status, even know how much salt I have left from a single device (and a few temp/strain sensors) with a single connection.

I'd also like to convert my dumb washer so I know when the cycle finishes, and the dryer so I know when the clothes are dry. And activate my TV to power on and switch to the input I want without having to use an IR blaster. I'd also like to add remote power control to a vintage Marantz amplifier. Oh, and activate the striker switch on my front gate from my phone or voice without having to replace the entire door intercom system with a "smart" one.

Sure I can do these things with a collection of plugs, blasters, sensors, dongles, etc., but the beauty of the UNI is that I can build that capability into the different devices - no wall warts, no batteries to replace, no extra cables, no adapters, etc. And it costs nine Euros.

If you don't want to add support for it, it's your decision, and it isn't the end of the world - there will be other ways to control it. It sure would be nice to have it in HE though.

2 Likes

I currently have 4 of these devices
Two are being used to monitor the Cab & Leisure battery voltage in my Motorhome
I'm planning to remove a couple of Shelly1 devices from the Motorhome that I am using for switching alarms etc and move the logic onto one or more of the Uni's (with 12v relays)
This should help with the overall power drain on the standing batteries

So I created a driver for them myself

My driver so far....

The humidity reading is from a DHt22 temp/hum sensor
The ext_temp readings are from three standard DS18B20 temp probes
Unfortunately they cannot be connected at the same time

The 'volts' comes from using the in-built ADC
I'm working on an 'amps' conversion using a shunt resistor but am struggling to find time to test atm.
The output channels are controlled by switch buttons atm but I'm thinking that I might make them child devices so they are more compatible with other apps (I'm using my own dedicated app)

I've moved most of the reference data away from attributes (I think it clogs things up to much) and added them to the driver 'Data' section...

I'm not sure how far I want/need to go with this driver.. I don't use most of the devices features
I started with a 'shelly switch' driver and rewrote most of it for my own use.
There is a 1st attempt driver already posted to my website but this is a much enhanced/rewritten version.
If anyone would like to try this version (and maybe convince me to add more to it) then please let me know

Andy

1 Like

That looks really nice Andy!

Again, the UNI is NOT available in the US still and sure as hell am not going to order one from Bulgaria. Now if you and others want me to write one then buy it and send it to me.

1 Like

TBH Scott this is probably enough for me
I might add the binary inputs in case I want to use a couple of button but that will probably be about it.
I've actually enjoyed doing it.
BUT.. I could not have done it without reference to your shelly1 driver hence this notation in the driver header..

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately, that's where I had to get mine from :slight_smile:
(But it IS a bit closer to me )

1 Like

It's spelled Grayban.... :stuck_out_tongue:

I figured that... getting anything from the EU is just not worth the money for me because I usually write the driver and the device ends up in my --> not a clue what to use it for -- box.

1 Like

OOps.. Sorry Scott
I'll get that changed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Apart from the Motorhome, I'm not sure where I would use it
But it is very useful for that

1 Like

I ordered a couple from Bulgaria, too. Because, why not? :wink:

I used it as an opportunity to test an idea with child devices for everything, so that I could re-use more code across different Shelly drivers.

Here's how it looks in my system:

You can install using the "From a URL" option in HPM, here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tomwpublic/shelly_experimental/main/packageManifest.json

6 Likes

It's just like the i3 ... I got the device but I simply cannot see a proper use for it here so I never wrote a complete driver for it. And I have plenty of shelly devices just sitting in boxes I wrote drivers for that I don't use.

I know people want drivers for every Shelly devices but that isn't going to be possible.... some are EU only which I can't obviously support and not sold in the US Shelly store and I had to beg for months if not a year just to write a couple for the Propane/Natural Gas sensors which currently is only made for the EU still.

I have a lot of issues with Shelly that I am not going to post here but for me, as it is, I am not going to beg for devices anymore. To put it bluntly.... you guys want a driver for a EU device then buy it and send it to me.

But it looks like the UNI is already well supported here thanks to @Cobra and @tomw !

@Cobra where is your driver at on the website?

2 Likes

I didn't think I'd get here when I created the topic :slight_smile:
But now I am happy :partying_face:
I've been using the Driver of @tomw for a few days only with I/O but I'm very happy.

2 Likes

I was actually trying to go the opposite way.. I wanted to retain everything as a single driver
The only thing I would use as a child would be the relay outputs.
Currently I don't even need to do this as I only use these with an app I wrote for the Motorhome.

2 Likes

How do you do the inputs? I did them as switches, too. Maybe it could be a numbered button.

Anyway, I agree with @Evilborg that I don't know what I'll do with the device after I'm done playing with it. But I had wanted to try this driver structure with child devices as an experiment, and the Uni fit the bill.
My other Shelly drivers are one big blob for all functionality, like you described.

1 Like