Virtual Music player/App for Sonos and all audio devices

See post #3 for recent update

Not sure if this could be added as a virtual device or app, but I would love a way to control all my Sonos devices via 1 dashboard "Music Player".

My thought on a Virtual Device is, if the VD could mirror 1 Sonos unit (we use our "Kitchen Sonos" as the primary play/pause/queue controller) I could then make a rule in RM that said when VD is turned up, also turn up Sonos devices X,Y,Z. This would allow for HE Sonos "Zones" to be created and controlled outside of the Sonos app.

As it is now we could write the RM rule, but then EVERY time we turn the Kitchen Sonos up (even outside the dash) it would turn up all my units.

@bravenel I think we have discussed this before as a group/scene but would VD be possible?

If not is there someone out there smart enough, and willing to write an app/device for this (or know of a way to do it)?

I have a Sonos node server running in a docker that I plan on using with http calls for more advanced Sonos integrations. That being said an app that bookmarked favorites and allowed for them to be played on selected player(s) would be awesome.

Big props and thank you to @Cobra for creating a virtual music device, and an app to begin mimicing the Sonos interface on HE Dashboards. This app is new, and we are still working to fine tune it. Anyone that wants to try it out, can do so by installing the driver/app from @Cobra's website.

The driver is obvious, it makes a virtual music player.

The app allows you to designate one "Master" device, and mirror play/pause/volume changes to multiple "Slave" devices (as many as you want). This allows you to control multiple Sonos (or any audio device) at one time from a single dashboard Music Player.

Note: This tile is completely custom CSS. It is added to show the actions visually. The app does not create this dashboard tile. It will create a standard music player 'device' tile. I can help if anyone wants something like above.

Future development - As you can see, right now the volume is a direct mirror. We (@Cobra mostly) are working to make it more of a percentage, or 'variable' adjustment. If you use Sonos zones you may be familiar with this action. Sonos will not turn lower volume devices down, as much as higher volume devices, when the "group" slider is adjusted. It does this in order to not mute, or over increase volume to devices. It would be ideal if the app could be modified to mimic that action.

If one any knows of a way that would make the app raise/lower adjustment "smoother" we would love to hear your input. If am not clear, I can do my best to clarify. Thanks for pondering, testing, or just stopping by and looking.

This is great.
Is it safe to assume that what this app does is it coordinated the controls (next/play/volume) across multiple speakers even if they are not 'grouped' in by the Sonos System?

Or does it actually interact with grouping (group/ungroup) ?

I installed it, but am struggling a bit with what use-case I'm looking for.

In particular with how it will behave when my speakers are group in Sonos v.s. Not grouped.

It does not interact with Sonos groups, you have to faux the groups.

The app allows you to create a master, and then slaves. You can 'mirror' volumes or have them go up by the same relative amount (-+10 or what I move the slider not mirror it) more like the Sonos app does it. This brings a "Sonos like" interface into a HE dashboard. Normally with a HE tile you can only control one Sonos device volume, not many.

@Cobra has plan to make it parent/child, but not sure if that has been done/release yet. It's been a few days since I checked.

I use it to control the volume of all the my Sonos devices via the dash tile in HE. I also added in 2 (of 8) extra 'zones' that I like 'independent' controller over. The top slider "Virtual Sonos" controls all zones by relative increase and then the others you see.

EDIT: That video is old and does not show the relative increase like I thought it did. Play with it and you'll see what I mean.

Sorry for the noob question but I registered for Cobras website in an attempt to find/install this app. Does my account have to be approved to access Cobra Apps? When I go to log in it just says access is currently disabled.

On a somewhat separate note I am running Echo Speaks devices and while voice control works for selecting music most of the time sometimes Amazon doesn't do the best job of finding what I am looking for (I mostly use Apple Music but this is true regardless of the music service) Has anyone devised a way that is a text field that allows searching for music with some sort of rudimentary navigation?

1 Like

Yes the account needs to be approved. Did you just sign up? If so give it some time, and you should get an email welcoming you.

I use Sonos for music, so I cannot help with the second part of your question.

Is this app still available, I can't seem to find it on Cobra webpage?

1 Like

Yep, look under "New Stuff"