MonoPrice 6 zone Whole home amp Driver

I'll try and get a video of what i does. As I push volume up it would read 18-19-20-6-32.

Other than that it working well.

I created some Google Home switches for it. I wish Google would get their s____ together and actually allow volume control. The work around for now is assign it as a switch with dimmer and volume control.

new add ons:
1- Parent now save the name of channel/sources to be display on the dashboard
2- (work around one tile) Child device have a new option that override mute/unmute to power on/off allowing to turn on/off from the speaker icon on the dashboard.
any problem post here.

Been a Hubitat user for awhile, but a noob with audio....thinking this might be my solution.

Right now I have a single Sonos that we use for whole house audio plus TTS (frequently). The Sonos is connected to an old multizone amp/receiver that has home-run wired connections to regular in-ceiling speakers all over the house. It works great with one exception--within Hubitat, there is no way to control which zones/rooms receive the audio/announcements, nor can I control the volume.

The solution that my local low voltage guy suggested is that I buy one Sonos Port for each
of my ~12 zones. That seems like overkill to me and a lot of $$$ (think $500-600 times a dozen zones). I don't need different audio in different zones at the same time. I just need to control where a single audio stream goes and at what volume.

Which got me to thinking--why can't I replace the receiver/amp with something I can control from Hubitat? Which is what brought me to this thread! Any reason I can't use a couple MonoPrice 6-zone amps? And then use this driver to select when zone or zones a Sonos TTS message gets distributed to, along with volume level?

Sorry for the long message -- appreciate any guidance.

Technically you could buy up to 3 amps and connect together you could control each zone with the driver but the amps are not cheap look like the have the new version on sale on the monoprice site for 500$ in theory should work without any issue and look like there is a telnet to serial already inside the amp, I don't know anyone that use the driver with the new amp yet im thinking on getting a second one, but im not sure if they are compatible with the old one. is fair to say that unless you trying to use the driver as the only way to control the zones you will have to run a ethernet cable from the zone to the amp. in some point I will be implementing options for the parent device to control all children at the same time so (all children's to one channel or all children to an specific volume) but im not there yet.
If you decide to jump on this im sure everybody here will help to get you where you want and if you need something specific I could change the driver to your needs when I have time.

Wildly grateful for your response and offer to help. Even three of these amps are way less expensive than buying a Sonos Port for every zone! Think I’ll buy one amp and see if I can get it working.

Before I do, can you just clarify two things—(1) does the device driver have the ability to select one or more zones and control its/their volume? (2) does the driver have the ability to select one of multiple audio inputs?

TIA!

You will have to add 2 drivers to the hub parent and child driver, the parent will create one child's per zone and you could control the zone wherever way you want, volume increase/decrease/set an specific value, power on/off, set specific input, almost anything the wall keyboard do could do it with the child driver only balance, treble,bass are not implemented yet. obviously control could be done via smart app like Rule Machine, Button controller, maker api, Dashboard, etc. I attach some screen captures.
hope that answer you question

2 Likes

Well, I just took the plunge and bought the Monoprice 6 zone amp product. Arriving next week. Already have a couple RPi's laying around. No doubt I'll be asking for your help soon. Appreciate the guidance so far!

EDIT: Would you recommend a particular USB to serial adapter -- or any will do?

sorry for the late response I was out if town. I don't thing it matters as long is compatible with the raspberry pi.

Received the Monoprice 6x6 and spent half the weekend installing it. For some reason, every time I got a 2nd or 3rd zone setup and turned on, all the keypads would just die (i.e., they'd still light up, but the LED would not show anything, nor would the keypads take any commands). I spent a bunch of time with Monoprice chat support yesterday, at the end of which they said they thought my unit was defective. They sent me an RMA and I dropped it off at fedex today. Hopefully I'll get a new unit in the next week or two and then I'll repeat the process all over again. At least the hardware install is pretty straightforward, especially now that I've done it once. Ugh.

You didn't by chance have the same sort of problems, did you?

The only time I ran in to an issue if I miswired the cat5. Other than that, no issues.

No issue there either you probably got a bad amp
Where you able to control the zone with the driver or the phone app?

Didn't get that far :slight_smile:
The amp is on its way back to Monoprice. Hopefully the new one will install without a hitch and then I'm going to try your magical work via the RS232 port!

did you get it working with the new amp?

Haven’t received replacement from Monoprice yet :disappointed:

Edit: Received today, will install tomorrow. Plan to work on the HE integration this week!

So, I have been lurking this thread for a while and thought I would add something that I have been working on for this system. I really want to have HE do tts to the PA function of the amp. That way I have it play everywhere in the house. I tried and tried to do it via the serial commands but it doesn't seem that the PA function can be controlled.

Because of this I built a little box that will do the tts functions. It is simply a microcontroller that can recieve a mp3 url (from bigtalker2) and play it. The microcontroller also triggers a relay that is connected to 12v. That 12v is connected to the PA 12v trigger on the back of the amp.

Parts I am using so far are a 12v to 5v buck converter (to power ESP32 from 5v and relay w/ 12v), an Adafruit ESP32 Featherboard (any ESP32 dev board will work), and 3.3v relay. All said you could build this for about $25.

So the way it works is this: Bigtalker2 sends a url to the ip address of the microcontroller. The microcontroller then triggers the 12v relay which activates the "PA" mode of the Monoprice amp. It then plays the mp3 url provided through it's internal DAC to channel 1 RCA on the amp (as this is the PA source channel). After the mp3 is done playing (however long it is) the microcontroller then turns off the relay.

That way if people are watching/listening to stuff on different channels in the house it will temp turn on PA for the announcement, then turn off the PA and everything resumes like normal.

This is step 1. I am now going to work on getting the ESP32 to control the rs232 as well so it would be a single box for the PA controls as well as the rs232 commands.

For now I am just sending the microcontroller regular GET commands via the browser while developing, so the code will change to fit the bigtalker2 communication scheme when I implement it. I also built a very simple driver so the system will be seen as a mediaplayer by HE and Bigtalker2.

Once I get it fully operational I'll post the code for the microcontroller and driver for anyone here to use.

2 Likes

Setup my rpi today, installed this code, and it worked the first time without a hitch! Love love love this!

Damn, now I'm going to have to buy another MonoPrice 10761 to cover the whole house because this works so well.

What I did for the PA is I plugged a 12v transformer in to a Zwave plug which triggers the PA port on the Monoprice. I setup a rule for that outlet to only trigger from 9am-9pm. I have a Zigbee doorbell module so if the doorbell rings, that outlet will fire for 10 seconds and Hubitat will make an announcement on the Chromecast Audio that is on input 1 "Someone is at the front door."

Anyone used this device handler for multiple 10761s? The documentation suggests that “Number of Amps” doesn’t work yet.

sorry for the miss lead I don't know where you read that i need to change it i already implemented 2 and 3 amps I only own 1 but I believe someone already got 2 working on this driver

@curtman3, @joshrperson how exactly the PA work? I got the feeling I could make something via parent driver that simulate the same effect?