Working with Volume and RM 4.0/WATO

So in my kitchen I have a Sonos Beam and two speakers in-ceiling controlled by a Sonos Connect.

They are typically 'always joined' by way of the Sonos API. I am now in the process of trying to tweak the volume of the devices so they are always (somewhat) in synch with each other using my Apple TV remote as the remote.

The scenario is currently as follows:

Using WATO I keep the volume of the Sonos Beam and Sonos Connect always in sync so that when I adjust the volume on my AppleTV Remote (to change the volume of the Beam) the level on the Sonos Connect adjusts to the same level (ie. Sonos Beam Volume = 10, Sonos Kitchen = 10). This works great for adjusting the volume, but do to the way the speakers are spaced out the volume of the Sonos Beam has to be pretty high in order to hear audio from the Sonos Kitchen speakers. Therefore it creates an uncomfortable listening situation for people who are close to the beam and for those simultaneously close to the Sonos Kitchen Speakers as the Sonos Beam is fairly loud and the Kitchen Sonos Speakers are at about the right level.

However, what I want is to have the Sonos Connect always be at a slightly higher volume than the Beam (ie. constantly 10 higher) So... if the Sonos Beam is adjusted to 11, Sonos Kitchen would be 21 and so forth.

Any ideas how I can do that?

1 Like

I have an app to do it :slight_smile:
Https://cobra-apps.co.uk

1 Like

Will you kindly link your app?

1 Like

Check this post out for details.

It's on my website under 'new stuff'

https://cobra-apps.co.uk

I think you have a typo in your forum username so the website would have rejected your registration.

Andy

Yes. Reregistered.

So I should have read this post better. I can do this with WATO and it works flawlessly because the app is grabbing the level from device #1 and setting the level on device #2 to = device #1

What I am looking for is for the level on device #2 to always be +10 (for example) to device #1. So that when I adjust device #1 from 10 to 20, device #2 is at level 30.

I'm using version 1.0 of the 'Sonos Chaser' app and I do not see an option for relative to another device.

Wrong app? Wrong version?

Wrong app :slight_smile:

Volume chaser just makes the slave volume the same as the master volume

Downloaded the Dashboard App... do not see set volume relative to.

I certainly don't see that on my app.

Ok.
That’s because I forgot to update the code on the site :crazy_face:
I’ll update in the next few minutes

Andy

Thank goodness.... 99% of the time its me!

Ok got it. One challenge. Let's say the slave volume is changed without the master. Then I am stuck and have to manually adjust the slave back to an appropriate level.

Is there a way to take the slave volume... whatever it is and make it always equal to master plus x?

Yes, but not with the existing code.
That is a feature I would have to write and make switchable (because not everyone - including me would want that)

I’ll have a think about the best way to do this but I prefer not to discuss it here.
Please open a ticket on the website with a feature request so I can keep a track of it.

Andy