Secondary Controller using Z-Wave - PC controller

I have a few official USB Z-Sticks from Silicon Labs that I was using to debug my OpenHAB2 setup before HE. I'd like to add one as a secondary controller but I failed to do so last night and I'm looking for tips.

I'm using the "Z-Wave - PC controller" from Silicon Labs Z-Wave SDK on a Win10 box but I've never paired it as a secondary controller. It seems like I should set HE to Include Mode and then ask the PC Controller software to go into Learn Mode. However there is no handshake or any activity on either side looking at logs.

Does the secondary controller have to be within direct range of the HE hub? I'm a couple rooms away so I'm guessing that's the issue but thought I would ask here before digging out a laptop tonight.

1 Like

I did this last week to do some firmware updates. It does not need to be in range of the hub as far as I know, I was 2 rooms away. I put hubitat into include and then was able to add my Z-stick as a secondary controller.

What did you do on the Z-Stick side to add it?

I dont have the z-stick handy right now.
I believe it was click the lightning bolt

1 Like

Got it, thanks @eyrich

I needed to use the "Select Learn Mode" and the "Network Wide Include" learn. It took almost a minute to transfer over all the data so I was probably impatient yesterday. Got my toys back alongside HE.

1 Like

So I have been trying for months now to do this. I am glad you posted this. I am still unclear what to do even after this screen shot. I cannot get my hub to see the secondary controller. I am likely doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

I have searched the internet all over and I still cannot find clear instructions anywhere what to really do. Nothing on Youtube or anywhere.

I have tried literally every button or mode in the Z-wave software 100 times without success. I have tried a reset on the Z-stick multiple times.

I notice your Z-stick says "network inclusion, node server present etc" which sounds right (and apparently works). Mine says either Network Role: RealPrimary or SUC, RealPrimary, SIS, NodeIdServerPresent if I use the "Set SIS" button. I am not sure if I should do that?

Do I use the lightning button Learn Mode, or the NWI button in the top row? Do I use the Classic/NWI/NWE dropdown next to the Learn Mode button?

Did you initiate an Inclusion in Hubitat first, or the Z-stick stuff then Hubitat Inclusion?

HELP! :scream_cat:

Thanks in advance...

I tried about three times yesterday before it worked. Like you, I did multiple USB stick resets, security S0/S2 on/off, etc, the day before when I failed but I didn't do anything special yesterday when it worked. It failed because of timeout the first couple times. Both HE and the PC-Controller were timing out. I kept activating the "NWI Learn" on the PC-Controller and "Include Device" on the HE Z-Wave page when they expired.

It doesn't matter when adding regular devices, but I'm not sure if I refreshed the HE Hub or PC-Controller first the time when it actually worked. I'll try again tonight and update here.

I just did this with my Zooz stick.

What am I actually looking at here? I'm not tracking what it all means.

In other threads I've been told that devices to receive firmware updates needed to be removed from HE first, then added to another stick (Zooz) and then removed/added back to HE.

With the Zooz I just added as a secondary controller, can I run firmware updates from it while it's in the network as a secondary controller?

How were you able to add the Z-stick? I have been trying for literally months and I cannot get it to add. Did you change any settings in the PC Controller software, or did you leave everything at default?

It depends on the software.
The Homeseer firmware software only seemed to look for devices on higher node numbers then the attached controller.

Zooz method worked fine using a Zstick added as secondary controller

I don't recall changing anything in the software. Ver 5.38

Start z-wave inclusion on HE,

On the PC Controller Select Learn Mode, NWI

1 Like

Hi Gents

I just got an Aeotec Z-Wave Stick Gen 5 and I have loaded up Zentools and I have gotten the stick included. However, it came up as "Device". What driver should I be using for this, and how do I ensure that it is a secondary controller. I have a ton of devices and I really don't want to start again, as I am sure you can imagine.

Cheers

"Device" is correct.

There's nothing INSIDE Hubitat that you can do with that Z-Stick.

You can control devices via PC Controller (or Zensys tools.)

1 Like

Thanks for that. Thought I was losing my mind. Really wanted it to map out the z-wave network to see where i might have some holes and also to do OTA updates. I see it loaded up a whack of z-wave devices on the Zentools, with very generic names. I expect that means a few hours jumping back and forth applying the correct names to things! LOL!
When it comes to doing the firmware updates, do I just go ahead and update the firmware via the Zentools, or do I have to do anything on the Hubitat first?
Cheers

The value of the secondary is to find and kill devices that don't exist.

What I do is open the ZWave Details page and look at the list of Node IDs on the Left.

Then I simply count how many devices are between 0 and 1F. How many between 20 and 3F.. etc.

Then I look at the same list in PC Controller. They need to match. If I find a mismatch, I explore why. Eventually I get to the end and know if the ZWave radio memory within Hubitat (which got copied to the Z-Stick) matches the internal DB.

After reviewing the mismatches if I need to remove some from the Stick, I do that process. Remember, Includes and Excludes are coordinated between the primary and secondary controllers. This is because Hubitat's ZWave radio is primary and is the SUC. The SUC maintains the list of available Node IDs. If you use a Secondary to Exclude a device (to remove a ghost) then the secondary must work with the SUC to clear that node number. Same is true for Include BUT, all that gets updated is the ZWave Radio in Hubitat, NOTHING gets inserted into Hubitat's DB... in other words, it's a great way to create Ghosts.

Maybe someday Hubitat will treat the ZWave Radio's DB as some sort of 'truth' and reflect ghosts into the internal DB and GUI.

Humm, I can see where that will be very useful. I have to say, I started off with the Wink Hub 2 and it was EASY to use. The Hubitat is no where near that easy, but I am impressed with the power packed into that little box. Thanks for the insights!

Cheers
Derrick

Yea, Who Wants Easy??

:smiley: :smiley:

Wink has the same problems, they just ignore it 'better' :smiley:

1 Like

Provides and certain feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction when you figure something out; that's for sure!

Cheers

Thats odd I have no trouble including and excluding with "classic learn mode".. just tried it. Am I missing something?

I have a Z-Stick..

edit: this was a response to an older post.. since it's working for me no worries but was wondering why use NWI?

1 Like