C7 Stops running automations and will not work zWave devices

What is polling and where do you turn it on?

Polling is designed to query/poll devices that are not sending timely (or at all) status update messges to the hub, such as when the light turns off or on.
If you turn a device off/on and you dont see the state change (normally again depends on device handler) and you hit refresh and you see the state (on/off etc.) change you may need polling.

Many non zwave plus switches and other devices had this issue. I think becuase lutron (not sure which company) was granted a patant on this feature and noone else was allowed to implement it?

There is the poller app you can add that lets you pick some, and how often to poll.
For others you can turn it one through the device detail page, or through rule machine rules.
If you have a lot of zwave non plus ge switches and some other brands that are not updating status suggest you write a rule to turn off and back on say once a day.

Also, if you have too many it will slowdown the hub and may cause issues. I replaced all my zwave non plus switches to plus after playing with polling for awhile.

your mileage may vary.

1 Like

Oh, I see. I believe all of mine are z-wave plus, but I'd have to go find all the manuals.

You can find out if they are plus or not by looking at the cluster info under settings, zwave details. If the first entry is 0x5E it's a plus device.

1 Like

Great Tip, thank you! Confirmed, all are z-wave Plus

These sensors pair to the C7 in S0 mode. S0 will drain the batteries in a short number of days due to the "chattiness" of the standard. As the batteries are dying I believe they screw up the mesh.

You can get them to pair without security if you use a 500 series secondary Z-Wave controller and the PC Controller software.

So this is the second time since upgrading my C7 to 148 that I'm stuck in this mode where the device is on the network but can't be accessed. I can access the diagnostics via port 8081 but shutdown and reboot aren't doing anything. Is my only option at this point to yank the main power?

Is there a guide on doing this? Any specific hardware or software? I don't have a zwave usb dongle, but if I get one I'd like it to be a combo zigbee/zwave dongle and I'd like to check if its compatible with whatever software I would need to do such a thing.

I would suspect there are a few threads here that discuss some or all of the process. If you don't get a specific link from others, try searching "secondary Z-Wave controller" or just "secondary controller" or "PC controller" or similar....

Your guide is great just give him that link.

1 Like

It's for removing ghosts, not pairing devices, but yeah, w/a little searching it should get him to the goal of adding a device.

Linky:

How to Remove Ghost Nodes using USB Z-Wave Stick

1 Like

Got it, Thank you guys.
Should I go for the SLUSB7000A or do you think I can get away with a HUSBZB-1?
Ideally I'd like to use this for firmware updates too.

@xero - per above sounds like you need a 500 series stick.

1 Like

There’s a possibility that the database is corrupted. My suggestion: back up the system, download the backup (assuming you can, even if a reboot is required from diagnostic tools), then do a soft reset from diag tools (that should reconstruct database).

Let us know if any success, we can try to go from there.

1 Like
  1. Exclude the Zooz sensor from the Hubitat network.

2. To get the stick included:
    Secondary Controller using Z-Wave - PC controller

3. Include the sensor to the Hubitat network from the PC Controller software by choosing NWI.

1 Like

Not 100% sure on this. But Hubitat has said that the 700 series chipset can't force inclusion in unsecured mode. I'm not sure if that limitation carries over to the PC Controller software. But I know that the 500 series sticks work.

2 Likes

Pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the hub but open for feedback on my methods or anything I've missed.

1. ZWave Switch stops working.
  2. Go to the hub, fire up a Zniffer on my laptop.
  3. Tell Alexa to turn off the lights. No packets recorded with the sniffer.
  4. Confirm I'm looking at device 23.
  5. Turn the light on / off from the Hubitat GUI. Nothing is sourced from the hub when I issue the GUI commands for on/off or flash. Zniffer is empty for device 23 and the switch does not respond.
  6. Reboot the hub.
  7. Hit 'flash' on the Hubitat GUI. Now my capture is very much what I would expect... for every on / off action there is a packet sourced from 002 (Hubitat / Radio Virtual interface I believe) and the light works. Since the first capture was blank I've included a screenshot of the working capture.

Not even concerned about the other routed nodes at the moment. The simple fact is when devices aren't working a command sent to the hub doesn't generate a single packet. Whether or not the issue is the radio, some process issue or other problem caused by a bug, error, other device, memory leak or something I'm doing is TBD. Assuming I can repeat this every time somthing fails, simply ran out of time this evening, this removes the mesh, the devices and puts focus on the hub.

Hopefully I'll here something from support, opened my ticket on a Saturday, but wanted to post in the event it's helpful / anyone has any thoughts.

1 Like

If folks need more detail than the info at the link above, the steps to add a Z-Wave stick using the PC Controller app (including PC Controller download links) is covered in nauseating detail in steps 1-14 of the Ghost Removal Guide I linked to above.

1 Like

@danabw great guide mate thanks, not sure how but i used smart start and ended up with a ghost and the device so this did the trick. For me i have a C4 that i just moved the devices to the C7 before i could use the stick i had to do a firmware upgrade on it, once that was done plain sailing from your guide :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad to hear that! There is a feeling like an Irish Spring soap commecial when you finally get that ghost gone... :wink:

2 Likes