C7 Stops running automations and will not work zWave devices

I have a new C7 running the latest version of s/w.

The C7 stops managing zWave devices. Simple automations stop workin and the devices can’t be controlled from the device page. I have to reboot many times a day to get the hub to work, it's almost like there is a memory leak or some type of overflow happening with the software. Is anyone else having this type of problem, are there any suggestions how to correct this?

I would recommend opening a ticket with Hubitat Support by sending an email to support@hubitat.com. Something is definitely amiss with your configuration.

I'm having the same exact issues, some of my devices just vanish and I can't get them back no matter what I do, won't exclude, won't include. At times I look at the Zwave status and maybe one or two items have a route, all the rest are blank. I never had this much trouble with my C4.
I'll open a ticket as well...

Now rebooting doesn't even help... I opened a support ticket.

Have you tried shutting down hub, powering off for 1 minute and then power back up again. Powering down will also power down the zwave radio.
May work, may not but worth a try.

2 Likes

It would help if you posted the exact version of firmware rather than simply saying “latest version “. Firmware updates come frequently. Days, weeks, and months later, when others are searching these forums to solve their issues or to help you, they won’t have a clue as to which software had the problems.

1 Like

I’m on V .145, I’ve run node cleanup, Regularly do a reboot and unplug from power for several minutes.

my guess is you have some ghost or hanging zwaves nodes and if look at the hub logs you will see repeated busy messages?

1 Like

If you haven't yet, give the Z-Wave Repair a try (global one, not the per-device repair) on the Z-Wave Details page. Run that, and then if things still aren't working, try the shut-down/pull power/wait 60s/reconnect dance. Maybe wrap some tin foil around your kids if you have any, they can interfere with pretty much everything. :wink:

1 Like

No busy messages, All my ghosts were cleaned up with the Zstick prior to the last upgrade. I haven't tried a Zwave Repair for about 3 days, but all my devices are zWave plus... sounds like a patch is available for a possible solution...

Where did you hear/see this?

I think it was specific to my issue, not GA.

1 Like

So, I sent email to support, was advised to apply update 2.2.3.147, did so.
Responded to support with specific things like it says my garage multisensor is offline

And yet... from about 1/2 hour ago, it's all reporting.
dev:4312020-09-13 03:24:11.162 pm infoGarage Multisensor illuminance is 0 Lux
dev:4312020-09-13 03:24:07.324 pm infoGarage Multisensor battery level is 100%
dev:4312020-09-13 03:24:05.499 pm infoGarage Multisensor humidity is 65%
dev:4312020-09-13 03:24:05.042 pm infoGarage Multisensor temperature is 75.2°F
I have two switches and an outlet that I can't get to exclude or include that were on the C7 at one time about a week ago, before the last update, now no-where to be found no matter what I do, Air gap was the last thing I tried, no joy.

I last updated support on Sept 11th. No replies to any of my messages to them.
I purchased a Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 to see if I could sort out anything with that, have yet to get it operational to be able to see anything. I'm thinking I should have left things alone with the C4, at least it was working...

If someone can point me to getting the Z-stick doing something so I can troubleshoot, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for listening,
Dave

There is a thread (whatever its called) Unknown Z-wave devices that has a lot of information specific to the process. There is also a document that give very detailed instructions... I can't find it right now. @lewis.heidrick I think put it together, if not @danabw is on top of the ghost stuff... 147 did not do much for me other than I can now limp along for a few hours without restarting the hub...

My ghost removal doc is here... @erktrek was actually the big contributor to it. :slight_smile:

Ghost Removal: Who You Gonna Call?!

However, it's extremely common for battery operated devices to show up like above when they are fine and reporting. I would not worry if you have battery devices that have "Failed," etc., on them, unless they are not reporting/working at all, and you have many, many "Busy" messages in your log.

A ghost will look like below...no routing in the last column, and may have just "Refresh" and "Repair" options, or may show the Remove/Refresh/Repair options.

2 Likes

I have a similar issue that I have submitted to support (but have yet to hear back... I understand they are busy). I have a new C7 (recent migrant from ST) and had been running v.145 since the day after it was released, without issue, for 9 days straight. No reboots, no issues, all things working as expected (I have a mostly z-wave network).

2 days ago, in the middle of the afternoon, automations stopped. Upon trying to access the hub (via android app and PC), could not get the pages to load. Home router was not showing the C7 on the network (though the IP reservation was there with the correct MAC / IP combo). Went to the C7: Hub had a green light, network switch showed an active network link with periodic activity. I pulled the power plug, plugged it back in, and it came back to life. Roughly an hour later, same thing happened. I've pretty much been stuck in this loop for 2 days now. Every time it freezes, it seems to drop off the network (doesn't respond to ping, router shows it not connected). Other network devices on the same switch work normal throughout all of this. I changed switch ports for the C7 to rule out a bad port: no change.

I installed v.148 yesterday. Hub ran for over two hours before things froze up again, and now I seem to be back in an hourly cycle of freezes again.

Last night, I installed Hub Rebooter and set up an automation to reboot the hub hourly, hoping I could get it to last overnight through a nightly maintenance cycle. This looked successful: the hub logs show rebooting every hour after I went to bed until I got up this morning. However, after I got up and used my android app to check things, I noticed about 40 minutes later that the hub was frozen again. The hub DID NOT reboot at the next hourly scheduled time. I had to depart for work at this point, but I found it interesting that the hub appeared to work throughout the night, but after accessing the hub (using the mobile android app / logging into the local interface) it froze shortly after... I'll perform more testing when I get home. Might be a fluke.

No new devices added and no devices removed from the network since I installed v.145 when it was released. I was certainly modifying automations in those 9 days after, but thats about it. Nothing seemed to line up with when the freezing stated. This writeup is significantly watered down from my support email trail.

A screenshot of the logs would be helpful. From all the others with this issue it appears there is still an ongoing issue with the hub firmware but appears to be triggered by unreceived commands or responses usually caused by mesh issues. Power reporting devices that flood the network also seem to amplify the problem.

I'll capture some screenshots from the freeze timeframes and share them tomorrow. For now, I am attempting to interact with the hub from any UI as little as possible, as it seems the less I interact with it, the longer it lasts.

I did get a response back from support: disable custom code. I'll give that a shot as well, but I don't think I had much, if any, running. Also trying to get my head around why things worked fine for 9 days straight with heavy interaction. While I was modifying / optimizing automation, I don't think I added any new code or apps during that time. I do have several EZmultiPli devices that I am worried might be contributing to the issue (and I think are considered custom code...), as they seem to be the noisiest devices in my mesh.

I received the same response from support. I shut down my second hub and had everything running on one hub. it did not resolve the issue.

Is it possible that the automation changes or perhaps updates to installed apps are related to these recent issues?