Unknown Z-wave devices

I am relatively new to Hubitat having purchased my c7 about a month ago. I have updated my c7 and the z-wave radio.

I have a few z-wave devices that show up under z-wave details (they do not appear under devices) that I can not relate to - and question their existence. I know all of my z-wave device addresses and they are all accounted for.

in the below image 0x01 is my c7 hub and 0x06 is one of the devices I can't relate to. It is also interesting as A5 is listed as part of the route, but neither z-wave detail or devices list a z-wave device with an address of a5.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

The first one is the hub itself.

FYI,

I have an β€œA5” device also. All the devices that route through A5 don’t work. I burnt my entire z-wave setup twice and still ended up with a couple of A5 routings upon completion. I’m waiting on next firmware and will blow away the Zwave and rebuild again at that time if necessary. Hopefully some word on new firmware will come soon, it’s been over a week and it looks like quite a few people are having Zwave issues on the C7.

I have the same issue on mine as well. Some are responding others are not.

The other devices are working swimingly.

If that's a contact sensor I have one that reports that way but it always works. My guess is it's asleep to save battery power.

I'm getting a lot of abuse from the family. I haven't added back any automation because I have had to exclude devices in an attempt to get them working. One garage door works the other doesn't, only one of three door locks works, I was unable to add a new Honeywell switch (which I thought I would try since the GE ones weren't working well.

Looks like I'll have to go back to ST if I can't get this fixed up tonight. People get irritated on school nights (Wife=Teacher, 2 Kids = Students) with the lights going on and off.

You might want to first try the 2.2.3.132 firmware update that was released today to fix many of these issues.

FYI, the Honeywell is essentially the same switch as the GE version, and actually behaves best (for me) using the GE Enbrighten drivers. If your GE version was plain Zwave, and the Honeywell is Zwave+, then that should be an improvement.

Downloaded that a couple of hours ago. I am shutting down the hub and restarting right now. When that probably doesn't work I will exclude all the devices, should only take an hour or so. Then I'll reset the zwave and rebuild from the hub out again only adding 1 device every 20 minutes or so. Should take until Friday. After that I will have to say bye bye hubitat.

1 Like

The jury is definitely still out on whether the new C7 FW release going to be a significant improvement or not. My initial experience was not too good, really bad Z-Wave repair result (tons of Busy and Failed repair messages). I rebooted the hub and am letting it sit w/just normal use to see if my issues w/automations slowing or not running, and buttons not making switches fire continue w/this release.

If you get busy/failed on the whole network repair, you should use the single node repair on those nodes, should clear them up

1 Like

I'm thinking I may have to reset the Z-Wave radio as well. Looking forward to hearing your results w/that approach.

Ok, I had held off on reporting this (I did submit a support ticket a couple of hours ago, but no response on that front except the canned auto acknowledge). Here is the TLDR version: C-7 out of the box today as migration target for my C-5. The current firmware at unboxing was 2.2.3.119, did that update fine, then to the Z-Wave Radio update. Disaster. Firmware Updater hung on Getting Device Versions (waited 1/2 hour; not the expected 10 min.). Tried everything (Shutdown, power off for 30 seconds, etc.), no luck. Any further attempts to update the radio gave brief "failed to start" message, then Getting Device Versions hang for 1/2 hour. Reset Z-Wave Radio failed (well, it was a new hub, nothing paired), so not even that helped. A clue was that there was nothing in the Z-Wave Devices table, not even the C-7 at node 1. Clean shutdown again, power off 30 seconds. Then 2.2.3.132 came out, did that update with its reboot. This time the Z-Wave Radio reset worked and the Z-Wave Devices table showed the single entry at node 1 (the hub). Tried Z-Wave Radio firmware update again, now it said firmware already up to date. Sigh. I just put this out in case others have the problem. The way to spot is nothing in the Z-Wave Devices table. Unfortunately, for those who have already paired devices, the cure involved Z-Wave Radio reset.

1 Like

I'm thinking of waiting a day and then running the repair again to see if anything has gotten better.

One odd thing, @bcopeland, is that all of my Zwave contact sensors look like this on the Z-Wave Details page, but they seem to report properly. There seems to be something in the creation of the Zwave details page that is especially challenging for battery-powered Zwave devices.

Lastly, any tips on getting rid of this ghost/mystery device? I've removed three devices on either side of it in the Z-Wave Details list in hopes that one of the devices added around the same time was the cause of the problem. But the ghost device persists. Is there a way to get rid of it? Refresh, Repair, and Discover don't do anything.

Some battery-powered devices will occasionally show failed if they haven't communicated with the hub in a while. It should change to OK the next message the hub receives from that device.

Test for the ghost node issue is being tested now.. Most of these in my testing were not real, but broken placeholders and disappear on reboot.

Some?? Occasionally?? LOL

All, Always? :smiley: at least for me.. over time, all my battery devices will show as failed. 90% of the time I ignore it, every now and again I wave a magnet or a hand and it pops back to life. A refresh of the page and they show as OK again... for a cycle.

Not all, not always. :slight_smile:

not all at once, but eventually all. :slight_smile:

And this is 20 seconds after a reboot to the latest Platform. :slight_smile:

That report comes from a lower level sdk function directly from silicon labs.. I'll see what I can do to make this work a little better.

1 Like