Secondary Controller using Z-Wave - PC controller

NWI = Network Wide Inclusion
NWE = Network Wide Exclusion

What it essentially boils down to is if your hub and z-wave stick are not nearby (close enough to directly talk) then use NWI to include. Otherwise classic works the same.

Okay cool thanks for the info. My hub is not that close to my laptop so was curious.. I do have some of the new Aeotec 7 repeaters in place. I wonder if that is having any impact... or is classic strictly to the hub no hops?

Hi guys, I'm looking for some help getting a UZB-7 working with PC controller and my HE vC4 as a secondary controller.
I've got the PC Controller software loaded, the UZB is connected and has a good driver loaded in Win10 but nothing I do seems to allow either HE Z-Wave discovery or the PC Controller Software to find each other.
I've sat 0.5m away from the HE hub and nothing gets detected !
I'm starting to think that perhaps it's a Z-wave frequency thing but I purchased the UZB-7 locally here in Australia so you'd think they'd have sent me the correct frequency for the region ..... right ?
Stamped on the USB stick is only:
Silicon Labs
Z-Wave Controller
SLUSB7000A
UZB-7

It sure looks like I'm doing everything correct and that they're just talking different languages !

Does anyone know if this UZB-7 device is frequency agile and can be software configured for Aussie Z-Wave, just in case they come standard, set for US Z-Wave ??

Thanks

EDIT:
I was correct. It was a Z-Wave frequency setting and it is easily changed by pressing the Transmit Settings button.

I didnt use leatrn mode to get my aeon z stil .. I just went to devices and select zwave new inclusion and hit the button on the stick..

also I leave it joined as a device in case i need it in the future but go into devices and disable it with the checkbox when not using it.

Do you an alternative to this, now that SiliconLabs stopped making the software?

[update] I finally figured it out, they hurried the software in the SimplicityStudio. you have to install the full studio software, then add the Z-Wave support (don't need to request Z-Wave access) then you can turn on / off the PC Connect software to have it installed. Very frustrating how they keep burying it deeper and deeper in unneeded / extra downloads.

I don’t believe you are correct. It’s a part of SimplicityStudio 5.

C7 gets this update.. I’m not sure about C5, I actually doubt it..

Some people use this to force a device that is S0 only into non-secure inclusion.

1 Like

Whoops.. Just realized I replied to a really old post.. Sorry about that

3 Likes

Oh - there is a Mac version!!! Anyone using it? Or do I still need a Windows install?

You do. AFAIK, PC-Controller is only available as a Windows version.

Bummer :frowning_face: I've downloaded SimplicityStudio5 to see what it's got :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

@aaiyar - no luck with either SimplicityStudio 5 or 4. I'm shooting a bit in the dark here, but it did not recognize the USB device. I fired up the Windows VM and PC-Controller found it right away.
@672southmain - any thoughts if this can work on MacOS?

It should in a Windows box. I have installed Boot Camp on my iMac (it’s a part of MacOS 11 - Big Sur). I may not need to use it for firmware updates now that 2.2.4.145 has the Device Firmware Updater, only have to fire it up for ghost removal, but I don’t have any of those now.

Did you mean PC Controller or SimplicityStudio? I have PC Controller in a Windows VM on my current Mac, but was hoping that there was a native MacOS version now (since there a SimplicityStudio version for MacOS). I am getting one of the new Macs with Apple silicon and the don’t support Windows VM.

I meant exactly what I said. PC Controller is a part of Simplicity Studio 5. It is one of the tools on the menu, and you must select it as one of the tools to be installed. The Mac download does not include PC Controller, but the Windows download of SimplicityStudio does include PC Controller, which is only available as a Windows .exe file.

It is necessary to run PC Controller in a Windows box (Virtual or Boot Camp) on a Mac. Yes, I am sad but I accept it.

1 Like

Thanks - that clears up my confusion.

There is a Mac version of the developer tools, and in the mac version they let you select and download the PC Controller software, but when you try to run it, it will tell you it only works on Windows. Very annoying. It's great they let us get the software for free, but their logic is really flawed in how they distribute the software, and how they limit this one component to Windows only.

2 Likes

Would someone mind treating me like an idiot and confirming a step by step process to add a device non-secure using the secondary controller please?

Here's my scenario. I have six Fibaro FGMS-001, one of them behaves and joins non-secure and works well. The other 5 insist on joining securely and they don't behave well, I experience battery issues and they are unreliable via the repeaters I have in place. I don't get prompted for an insecure join. I'm assuming that I have two firmware versions as one gets added using the in-built driver and the other gets added as 'Device'. I've tried a User driver with the right fingerprint but they still get added as S2:

I believe that I can add these using a secondary controller in non-secure mode, can I? I have a Windows laptop with a USB key in it and the "Z-Wave PC Controller 5" installed and working.

The bit I can't figure out is how to add the Fibaro Motion Sensor via the secondary controller so that it joins non-secure. Can someone help me? :grin:

I haven't done that yet (or needed to) so unfortunately I haven't tracked the process closely.

But...the beginning steps are to connect your UZB stick to your hub as a secondary controller. Take a look at steps 5-14 in the guide below, that will get your UZB connected as a secondary controller on your hub.

Ghost Removal

Once you've got your stick paired, I believe below may work:

1. Get the device in inclusion mode
  2. Click on the UZB stick in the PC Controller app
  3. Click the "+Add" button in the PC Contoller app
  4. The app will try to add the device to your hub using the UZB stick, and should prompt you for security options at that point. You would deselect all options.

What I'm not sure of is whether this requires a UZB 500 stick, or will work w/a UZB 700.

1 Like

You can.. I've done it with several devices including a Fibaro Key Fob.

The hub can get a little fussy after you pair it using the secondary controller. Sometimes the device will not show up except on the Z-Wave details page. A reboot after repair etc usually does the trick but not sure what combination of "repair/refresh/discover/reboot" actually works. Also I don't think you have to pull the power on the hub for this one.

Note: It pairs unsecured by default at least that's been my experience. I used a Z-Stick+ but am pretty sure any stick compatible with the PC Controller will work.

edit: leaving this post in case someone else finds it useful!

2 Likes