Hubitat Goes Unresponsive Randomly

I'm having issues with my Hubitat going unresponsive at seemingly random intervals. This has been happening since I set it up initially and almost caused me to scrap the whole platform from my system. When it's up and working it runs flawlessly but from time to time it just goes unresponsive and nothing works. I tried doing the safe reboot going through the 8081 port but the hub isn't even found on the network. I can't even ping the IP address of my Hubitat form my computer. The only way I've found to restore it is to cut the power to it and turn it back on. I don't like doing this as I've heard numerous people say it can cause database corruption but I see no other alternative. Has anyone else had this issue?

Do you have a C4 or C5? I've read some C5's have a flaky micro-USB power connector. Might try to gently giggle it to see if you can force the issue.

I have a C5. I tried wiggling the USB cable. Went from gentle nudge to really trying to cause a problem and it's still running fine.

Might help to qualify "unresponsive"-- unresponsive to Zwave, unresponsible to IP events, unresponsive to web app events.

Are you using wifi? This is the most likely failure point.

Can you minimize the network between your computer and the Hubitat? For example, have both your computer and the Hubitat plugged into the same switch, on the same VLAN, etc.

Unresponsive to everything. None of the Z-wave devices work when this happens, neither do Zigbee or any virtual devices. It's like it just stopped being recognized by my network. The next time it happens I will check my network map to see if my router says it doesn't exist either. My hub is wired into my network on a separate switch than my computer is but both are wired to the same network overall. I tried accessing the hub on my laptop over wifi and it gets the same results as my dekstop does.

This is a huge problem, and in my case it was the network. Set a static IP for the HUB, and whatever your "lanautoconfig..." is set to, switch it to the other
lanautoconfigenable
lanautoconfigdisable
lanautoconfigstatus

yourHubIP/hub/advanced/network/lanautonegconfigenable

My hub would drop connection constantly, once I switched the settings it's good. The other way if my switch or router rebooted the hub refused to reconnect
I have a C4

I set up the DHCP reservation and rebooted my hub so hopefully that helps. I'm a little unsure of which settings you're referring to for the lanautoconfig though. That's a bit beyond my knowledge. Any guess as to where I might find that option?

Some thoughts - the usual suspects in no particular order..

• The ethernet port on a small subset of hubs had issues with determining the proper speed of the network. There is a simple url you can use to enable/disable this. I've read on these forums that the hub has had trouble with certain Netgear switches. Not sure this is your issue as you'd likely be noticing a lot more problems.
    Symptoms: C5 ONLY - hub appears unresponsive, LED light is green.

• Make sure your hub is not overheating - that can cause flaky behavior like non-responsiveness. This happened to me - I had my hub resting on a smooth plastic surface and the vents underneath couldnt disperse the internal heat properly. By simply flipping it over (and eventually relocating) solved my issue. Note: Hub is off and LED light is red.

• Power supply / power source - any power issues can cause lockups too. This happened on a new hub years ago. The power supply was cracked and I would get lockups and trouble restarting. New power supply and all was well.
    Possible Indicators: hub has no light.

• Devices flooding the hub with reports, polling issues etc. Diagnostic Tool on port 8081 is accessible.

• "unpaired" or non-responsive devices still existing in various apps.

• Erratic or flaky devices.

• Ghost devices - devices that have been removed from HE but still exist in the system internally and are "invisible" to the UI. Symptoms: hub generally works but is very slow and unresponsive at times.

• custom apps and drivers..

• Corrupted internal database. Soft Reset or restore from backup can usually take of this. Symptoms: lots of SQL errors in logs, hub web interface may not be reachable BUT Diagnostic tool on port 8081 is.

• Home Network issues - network packet "storms" or other things caused by incorrect or bad cabling / faulty switches etc. Symptoms: hub LED on C5 is green, neither web interface nor Diagnostic Tool are available

• Platform not running. Hub's web interface cannot be reached and a c5 hub shows a blue light. This can happen if hub was not properly formatted at factory, or the update failed to install properly.

I'm probably forgetting a few more..

Edit: I just updated this with more info and for clarity!!!

3 Likes

Is there any way to identify these?

I do not know of an HE way - I've used a Z-Stick joined to the HE and the PC Controller Software to compare what the HE Z-Wave radio itself contains against the list in the HE Z-Wave settings page.

1 Like

Thank you. Conveniently, I have a pair of UZB3s winging their way to me now. :slight_smile:

With the C7 about to arrive, I've been struggling with the decision of whether to rebuild the entire network (100+ devices) or use the migration tool. The original network was done very haphazardly during construction, with lots of devices being lost, replaced, etc. I'm hoping to get a better view into the underlying system to make an intelligent decision on the rebuild.

1 Like

Yeah those are great.. one of those you can replace the firmware and do the whole zniffing thing and the other just join to the HE as a secondary controller.

edit: I think the uzb3 can be joined as such - I've only used my Z-Stick. Also have uzb 7's but did not have much luck pairing with HE not that I tried all that hard will maybe wait until C7.