[RELEASE] Ring Alarm Range Extender Gen2 driver

I installed a Ring Range Extender v2 today on my C-3 using classic unsecured pairing since the C-3 won't do S2. I tried to use the built-in driver but the mains/battery detection wouldn't ever change away from mains no matter how many time i hit refresh or configure on the device page. I switched to this driver and when I hit refresh it switches to show the actual state as expected but when I just unplug the device and wait a few minutes it does not. My guess is I'll need to change the Heartbeat Interval in minutes from 70 to 1 but wanted to check here first since it doesn't sound like that has been necessary for others?

Thanks.

Believe that it is working as designed then, i.e. unless power is removed powerSource should be mains

That was with the unit unplugged.

Did you pair the extender plugged in or unplugged?

That's a known issue with the standard driver. Refresh doesn't fix it. IIRC, Bryan's private driver worked for power loss although there was a timing issue surrounding the hub being down or rebooting during a power event. Refresh doesn't work for power in that one either. This and needing node testing were the principal reasons that I wrote this driver.

@Terk, with regard to the original question, I'm guessing that the C-3 isn't setting up the group or lifeline associations properly. Beyond my direct knowledge however. I've tested with the C-5 and C-7 only. Sorry.

1 Like

Another thought around this, did you pair with S2 (can a C3 even pair with S2)? Ring devices generally require that they pair with S2 to get full functionality.

No hub less than a C-7 can pair with S2 from what I understand. I paired by holding the button on the front for 3 seconds to put it in classic pairing mode which is the only way it would pair with a C-3.

I can't speak to the C-3. However I tested the Gen2 Ring Range Extender on the C-7, both with S2 and without security. It worked fine either way. There was a rumor at one point that S2 was required to have the power notification work, but in my testing and use this was not needed. I generally ran my production Ring Range Extenders without security.

Fair disclosure: I no longer use the Gen2 Ring Range Extenders in my network. I bought an AirSpy and started measuring the transmit power of various devices in the network and I found that the standard transmit power level of the Ring units was several dB lower than the other extenders that I was using. There were also bugs with the power settings on the range test. I really like having the battery, but in my case range (power) was more important.

The power issues may have been fixed in a newer firmware release. If anyone has a firmware update for these units, I would appreciate knowing about it.

1 Like

Just curious, what range extenders do you prefer?

Took me a minute to find, but this post sums it up.

If you're interested, the driver for the Aeotec can be found here:

2 Likes

Thanks. I have two of the Aeotec 6’s but when I switched to the C7 and Brian was recommending the Ring S2’s i originally picked up three of them and then two more. To tell you the truth I am not impressed with any of the ones I have but I am no scholar. I will read through the other thread for info. I know I have at least read part of it because I recognize the subject line.

1 Like

I've just pushed a minor update to the driver (1.3.0) to cover the situation of the power source (mains/battery) and battery state changing while the hub is down. This addresses the issue described here:

1 Like

added this line a couple of place in the battery report and the power report. as even when periodically doing a refresh no events appeared in the logs so hard to know if device is still working and i had one drop off my mesh

map.isStateChange = true

it appears the heardbeats are not working as i dont ever see them any ideas.

1 Like

I don't see how setting isStateChange to true will change anything for a device that has dropped off the network. Setting isStateChange to true forces an event to be considered as a state change even if the value itself has not changed. But if there are no packets actually received from the device there will be no calls to sendEvent().

If you want to know if a device has disappeared from the network, the best thing is to monitor the last activity time for the device. FWIW, I have an app specifically for that purpose, Simple Idle Alerts, which is part of the Simple Series of applications.

1 Like

Activity monitor didn't tell.me fir some reason..so.i looked at events. There is no.way to tell.in events if even in normal operation there are no events. So.this way i can look at events or write a specific rule.

Last Activity is different that Last Event. Last Activity is last Z-Wave activity, which includes the heartbeats (Last Event does not). I can't speak to Activity monitor, but the app I pointed you, Simple Idle Alerts, should be able to address your issue. It's what I use.

1 Like

Just got an update in HPM for this driver to version 1.3.0. However, I cannot find any release notes. Any idea what was addressed in the update?

5 posts above...

Okay.

Wow!, HPM was a little slow on this one if you did the update in April. I saw that the last activity in the forum was from June and did not scroll farther up because I just got notified about the update today.

My fault. I misunderstood the intent of the HPM creator/maintainer regarding versions in the schema. There are multiple places that version info can appear, and the place I had it appears to have caused HPM to ignore updates, possibly since the first version.

It Here are all the changes that have been happened in the driver:

// Version 1.0.0    Initial release.
// Version 1.1.0    Clean up log messages. Handle button push.
// Version 1.1.1    Mark seconds as a required input for power test.
// Version 1.2.0    Normalize logging.
// Version 1.2.1    Minor capitalization fix.
// Version 1.3.0    Add Initialize capability to cover PowerSource changes while hub not running.
2 Likes