[BETA]Power Outage Manager

2 Likes

Found it, but I use the gen 1 range extender because the C-5 does not support the gen-2, since it's working great I still use it with my C-7, to bad, RM will keep doing it's thing I guess.

1 Like

Added the option to issue a refresh() to trigger devices that support it on hub restart.

4 Likes

I was initially setting this up and had just selected "Hub Security Enabled" and got this error:

I had to delete and re-add it to clear the error.

@jlv v0.1.4 should fix that - was checking security before it let you enter credentials. Should be in HPM now.

4 Likes

The C-5 does not support S2 security, but the Ring Gen2 extender works fine without it, and there really isn't a good reason to use S2 for a range extender.

To include without security, use Classic inclusion mode--press and hold the button on the front of the device for ~3 seconds, then release.

5 Likes

Love the app...Thanks!

One question...Can we have multiple instances of the app running? For instance, I have a couple of Ring range extenders in the house that I will use to notify me and shut down the hub during an extended power outage. But I also have one extender plugged into an outlet in the garage that is on a GFCI. I just want to get notified if the GFCI trips, I don't want to shut down the hub. If this is not possible it is no big deal,...I will just leave the RM I have for the garage extender to notify me.

1 Like

Just don't pick that particular unit as a trigger. Really you only need to pick one trigger... In my case it's my Ring v2 extender in the hallway. If that on battery the house is off.

But I also want to get notified if the GFCI in the garage trips, but I dont want this to shut down the house. No big deal... I have a RM rule that I will keep for this one instance.

Right simply use the notification app instead to send you a notification when power source changes..

1 Like

I envy you people whose internet stays up during a power outage. Ours inevitably goes out along with the power. Some type of cell or Elon Musk's solution might work I guess.

Yep I know that part but so many people had problems with it stop responding and all on the C5, instead of investing in something that is not reliable, I just got the gen1 and it's been rock solid. Now that I have it and also have a C7 now, why change it?

While you are at it, use Hubitat Ping to ping a global DNS server (1.1.1.1 Cloudfare or 8.8.8.8 Google) to check to see if your router is connected to the Internet. You can also Ping individual WiFi devices on your LAN to see if they are connected. Sometimes my Amazon Alexa devices go offline and need to be rebooted.

You can use the Hubitat Ping response to establish similar actions to those you might use if mains power goes down.

You can have multiple instances, and the app allows you to change the name to differentiate them. If you just want a notification you wouldn't have any outage or recovery actions defined, but the app really doesn't care so all good.

2 Likes

Is your cable modem on a ups?

No. We do have a standby generator. Maybe if our cable service wouldn't go down every time the power does. It's cute when the cable company, Spectrum, texts out the same times for service outage and restoration as the power company.

1 Like

That one pole that has both set of wires just happens to get taken out...

1 Like

Yeah right, lol. It's more like they're cheap with battery/generator backup.

2 Likes

I’m not sure a single trigger decision is the right approach. I’ve had occasions where my wife knocks a Ring Extender out of the wall socket while moving furniture, or unplugs one to plug in the vacuum. Not good to cause power fail routine triggering in either of these cases.

At the other extreme, waiting until all Ring Extenders show power fail is bad, too. Larry Kahn (@kahn-hubitat) recently reported he had a Ring Extender fail in a mode whereby it stopped sending power fail (mains to battery change) events. Things break.

A better approach, in my opinion, is to have a voting scheme whereby multiple power fail indicators vote and, if a majority indicate power fail (and a majority stays failed for a given time), initiate the power fail routine. I have 6 Ring Extenders sprinkled throughout the house, on different circuits.

1 Like

On the flip side I've never had my apc ups misdetect a power outage. But the driver i wrote for it is not instant. i have it set to query ( user definable) every x minutes and a different rate once it detects an outage. i use this to shut down my hub when the battery level gets too low.

3 Likes