[RELEASE] Hub Rebooter App

Hi @SuperDupe, can you provide a screen shot of this feature? The rest of this thread went down the path of a simple device level sync with a rule. I do that, but it is not a permanent fix for that device. Instead it is an immediate local fix for that moment. If there is a way to restore HubConnect to start automatically pushing updates again across all devices - I really need that.

Not sure it is the rebooter app, but HubConnect basically does not work for me in the automated fashion it is designed for. Instead I have about a dozen items syncing in rules every 5 minutes (I'm worried about system load - I already have to reboot daily on all 4 hubs due to hubitat other issues [not related to my resync rule]).

@srwhite, @csteele? Any idea why HubConnect will not 'stay connected' for me for automated push syncing? Any solutions to fix it once they stop pushing?

I have 6 'Hubs' interconnected with HubConnect:

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 8.27.57 AM

In the past year, I can't remember anytime HubConnect has failed me. It always has the correct (mirrored) Current State. Reboots of individual Hubs (due to Platform updates) reconnect ASAP.

HubConnect 'speaks Events'. If you reboot a hub and in those 5 mins, a device changes, the Event gets sent to a rebooting hub and is therefore lost. The Sync button will do just that, sync a device between connected hubs. There's also a "sync it all" button for each hub:

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 8.34.14 AM

@csteele, thanks for the quick reply. As I look into this, I see I am still on 1.6. I will take time to update to v2 and get back to this. Still that should not be the issue, but I'll get on the latest version first. One thing I could not yet find in reviewing notes and registering for an account @ hubconnect.to... is the advice to just update the apps and driver code in place, updating from 1.6 to 2.0? Or install everything new? Seems that would create all new devices though and require all rules to be updated?

There's nothing wrong with v1.6.4 and you may continue to use it. v2.0 is an Open Beta at Release Candidate 1 state. Again, there's nothing wrong in choosing to use it. :smiley:

I'd be certain you have a well running system before doing an upgrade because it's not going to cure broken devices :slight_smile:

There are two Installation documents, one for upgrade in-place and another for Installing fresh. Personally, for my Production set of hubs, I have only ever done an in-place upgrade. Some weeks, when Steve's on a roll, that might mean I've upgraded 4-5 times in a day, a dozen or more times in a week. :slight_smile:

Ok, thanks for the feedback. What fixes/debugging steps are there for my system that consistently does not mirror the current state without a receiving side 'manual sync'? No devices, ever work after the first few days (?) when I first installed (months ago).

I do not have that Admin section in your screen shot above, assuming that is part of v2.0.

HSM does work (I do not use modes).

Is there any reason that having hub security enabled should effect any of the event socket connections?

Here are the screen shots of the syncing process... I am on 2.0 and still find that virtual devices get out of sync upon reboot or restart...

I was asking this feature be enabled automatically...

1 Like

Would you guys mind taking the hubconnect discussion to that thread?

Not that I don’t like hubconnect (I use it and love it). I’m just a little OCD re: thread notifications :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

Are there any plans to implement a shutdown feature in addition to the reboot feature? I have modified your code to add this feature if you want to take a look. I have never written a driver or app before, so if there is a better way than what I have done, please let me know.

My modified code: [Groovy] /** * * Rebooter * * Copyright 2019-2020 Dominick Meglio * * If yo - Pastebin.com

Sorry I've been pretty busy this week, I'll take a look tomorrow.

1 Like

So for people asking about Shutdown, I'm thinking this app isn't the right place for that. From what I'm hearing people really want a device with custom commands like Shutdown and Reboot, right? So meaning you can do it whenever you want, for example from RM. I know one person mentioned doing this from a UPS on power failure... So I'm thinking something separate from this app (because this app is really about solving the HE performance issue and hopefully it goes away completely when they fixed that bug) that would let people send commands to reboot/restart/shutdown the hub.

3 Likes

Yeah, I like that idea. Keeping this one tailor focused to scheduled rebooting, and having a different app tackle an RM friendly way to manage Shutdown/reboot/restart. Two entirely different use-cases.

1 Like

I think this app has been affected by the .130/.131 bug @dman2306
The hub did not reboot for my scheduled restart yesterday

The issue from 130 would prevent you from even opening the app. Do you receive an unexpected error if you try to open the app? My rebooter is working fine.

Its possible the cron job didnt get reset upon update -- i went into the app and re-saved
will see what happens monday AM

1 Like

I just started using the app and started with restart...3 days later one of my hubs was locked up. I had been rebooting using a URL for months without issue. Also this hub has barely any code on it. It's just a hub I use for zigbee/zwave devices and mirror them to my other hub with hubconnect.

back to rebooting I go.

I have this written. I’ll probably get it out tomorrow.

For those who were looking for a way to shutdown and reboot the hub on demand, have a look at Hubitat Hub Controller

1 Like

I just started using this tool 3 days ago, replacing my RM rule with a post command.

I have been using the restart command. It clears my daily slowdown issues just fine and I have had no errors or issues so far, even with HubConnect 1.6.4. Hope this helps the Hubitat team with efforts to identify the possible issue. I will continue to report as time goes on.

LJ

2 Likes

+1. Been doing a weekly "restart" in the wee early morning for a while now and my hub has been running along perfectly ever since and I don't even notice the restart.

1 Like