[RELEASE] Hub Rebooter App

Thank you for the help. I setup some rules to run last night at 1am when the hubs rebooted... Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it worked... Specifically, I tried syncing the Hubitat apps which on my second hub work with Combined Presence and then report back to a virtual Combined Presence device on the original hub.

Even though I setup to have them resync on both hubs via the rule, they don't appear to have actually synced. I looked through the logs and of course, because of all the other information in them, they stopped short of the 1am reboot.

I'm rebooting the hubs manually now to go back and look at the logs...

BTW, sorry we hijacked this thread. The issue for me really is HubConnect and not the Rebooter app which works great!

This is great information though, I'll update the readme to include this so others know!

I'm sorry to bother, but do you recommend using the restart feature vs the reboot? I know it was talked about above, but not sure I caught the consensus on which was better?

I heard one person mention the restart didn't work for them, I haven't heard any other complaints (I use restart). Restart basically just restarts the HE process as opposed to the whole hub rebooting. So first of all, it's faster, second of all, the HE team asked me to try it out because they wanted to be sure the bug lies in their code, not like a bug in the OS or something.

1 Like

Got it... :slight_smile: Thanks again!

I have found 'reboot' to be more reliable than 'restart'.

so folks that have trouble should first move to 'reboot' and see if that is better.

In general if 'reboot' does not work, then the hub after a powerfail is not likely to work....

For many folks you likely do not want to be in the 'restart experiment'.

1 Like

Like you, the restart has worked for the issue I have. I have not rebooted now with the exception of hub updates since you released this. I have a slow down that occurs at 5 days for unknown reasons on my device hub. I have worked with support and we were unable to determine a cause. Your app has been great as I can set a 4am bi-weekly service restart and never notice a thing as it occurs while we are sleeping.

1 Like

Does this app allow for different reboot triggers such as a switch? I have exposed a switch to Alexa so that when I ask her to reboot the hub, it would issue the POST command, but since enabling login security, this is no longer an option. Would this functionality be possible using this app?

Just to clarify, you want it to still be nightly, but ONLY do it if the switch is on? Or are you saying, you will turn the switch on, it would reboot, and I guess turn the switch back off?

I want to be able to turn a switch on and have that reboot the hub. And yes, when the hub reboots, in my startup procedure, one of the things it does is turn that switch off.

1 Like

That should be doable

1 Like

Thank you, and I hope it isn't too difficult to implement. When I was thinking today, I wondered if it would also be possible to shutdown instead of reboot? I ask this because I plan on implementing a way of monitoring my the UPS, through NUT on a RPi, that is powering the hub. If that UPS drops below a certain threshold I want to be able to shutdown the hub properly. Now this is easy with a HTTP POST command and RM, but those do not seem to work with hub security enabled. So I was hoping that this app could serve that purpose. Being able to trigger a reboot or shutdown based off of the status of a switch would be very useful to me.

Thought about this a bit last night... based on what you're looking for (both needs) any reason why you need it to be a Switch? I'm thinking a Button makes a lot more sense. A switch has to be set back to "off" otherwise it would continually do it. If something went wrong... bad things will happen like a reboot loop. A button being pressed though is a "momentary trigger" so that concern wouldn't exist. I can implement both a reboot and shutdown trigger, but I'd much rather make them buttons than switches for safety sake.

1 Like

Yes I agree, a button would work perfectly, but it is my understanding that the Alexa integration does not work with buttons. As a workaround I just use a virtual switch with an auto off after 500ms that I expose to Alexa.

Also I know when using them in RM, they only act as triggers when their value changes, does your app continually test the state or does it only see a state change?

I haven't played with buttons too much, let me do some experimentation and I'll see what the best plan is.

I haven't decided what I want to do with Shutdown yet, but the reboot can now be triggered via a button press in the latest code. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Can we get switch support as well so that Alexa can be used as a trigger?

As I said, I really hesitate to build that into the app as it could result in bad situations like reboot loops if the switch ever got stuck. If you really need this, I'd recommend setting up a virtual switch and use RM to trigger the button.

Okay, that works, thank you