My Hubitat MyQ integration walkthrough

Initial questions:

1. Is this a good place to post this?
  2. Are there any corrections I need to make?

I am posting this here because:
I am migrating from Wink,
I am new to Hubitat,
I could not find a real clear explanation on the process of adding MYQ to Hubitat,
and I am hoping this might help someone else that is in my situation.

I am using the MyQ Link user app, and MyQ Garage Hub.

This is not meant to be detailed instructions.
It hits the high points of things I discovered and should identify specific answers that I needed to resolve.
There were additional questions I needed answered, however; I was able to find the answers in other posts.

The order of things is important.

You need to determine if you want to monitor the Open/ Close status of the garage door.
If you do, you currently cannot use the MYQ tilt sensor for this.

• You will need either a hardware sensor (My preference) or
  • A virtual sensor controlled from IFTTT. (Until, I have my hardware sensor.)

The reason I prefer a hardware sensor.
If for some reason internet goes down during an operation, I do not know if Hubitat will get the status changed message.
Having a local hardware sensor, will allow me to determine the status of the door in real time.

Note: You now install all the necessary files using Hubitat Package Manager.

If you are using a hardware sensor, the steps are pretty straight forward.
Configure the hardware door sensor in Hubitat, (then jump to step 5.)
(Note: There is a neat video of a guy turning a door/ window sensor into a garage door tilt sensor using a door hinge.)

The MYQ drivers codes I am using:
Momentary Button Tile,
And because I am using an external Sensor with MYQ:
MyQ Garage Door Opener

Configuring IFTTT to Control a virtual sensor.

1. Configure a virtual device in Hubitat.
    Give it a name, for example: GdoorStatus1
    For type, I used Virtual Contact Sensor
    Everything else was default.
    I saved the sensor.

2. Create an IFTTT account, if needed.

3. Add the IFTTT integration app to Hubitat.
    Link it to your IFTTT account,
    make sure your Virtual switch is being shared with IFTTT.

4. Log into IFTTT.
    Add Hubitat Service.
    Link it your Hubitat account,
    Make sure your virtual switch is being shared.
    Add MYQ service.
    Note: You might have to subscribe to MYQ, in order to see your garage door.

5. Create your MYQ applets in IFTTT
    (Under your avatar menu: Create)
    you will need 2, One for Open, One for Closed.
    My 2 are:
    If [MyQ]Door is open: GarageDoor then ,[Hubitat] Open a Device: GdoorStatus1
    If [MyQ]Door is Closed: GarageDoor then ,[Hubitat] Close a Device: GdoorStatus1

6. In Hubitat, in Apps section: add user app "MYQ lite"
    (There are existing instructions on how to add the MYQ lite App and drivers code to Hubitat.)
    Follow all the steps,
    When you come to the Optional Sensors and Buttons, page,
    Add your real or virtual sensor (GdoorStatus1) to your garage door.
    Note: I wanted separate on/off (open/close) buttons for my Garage door.
    (Once, with another setup, I accidentally opened a closed Garage Door, because of a delay and only having a Single Toggle button.)

7. Dashboard.
    For simple Monitoring:
    Tile for Garage Door or GDoorStatus1, Template: Garage

For Single Button Control and Monitoring:
    Tile for: Garage Door, Template Garage (Control)

For Individual Open / Close tiles.
    Tile for: Garage Door Opener, Template: Momentary
    Tile for: Garage Door Closer, Template: Momentary

Note: This might not be the best way. It did get me to a usable dashboard.

2021-09-06
It looks like MyQ has changed the API again, and broke the MyQ lite app
[BROKEN] Updated MyQ Lite Application Official Thread - Community Apps and Drivers / Community Apps - Hubitat

I am working on removing my dependency on MyQ and install a locally controlled system.
I an investigating a dry contact controller, and either:

1. parallel the existing wall remote,
  2. Modify the existing wall remote, so I can parallel the wall remote switch.
  3. Modify and use an universal garage remote control.

Update 2021-10-29
It looks like the MYQ masters have everything working again.

Please if you are having issues with getting the basic features working. Please post your questions there. They are better suited to help you.

Plus , if they help you with any new issues, they can incorporate necessary changes,

Thanks,

3 Likes

If rather use a built in solution than anything relying on another cloud service. This one works for me:

1 Like

Agreed,
I am not sure if MyQ Lite uses the cloud or direct control.
I believe it has to log into the cloud to get an access token.
Even if it does use the cloud, I can still status the doors remotely and manually close them if I have to.
If necessary, I will go back to using my Insteon I/O Linc.

I pickup up the MyQ Garage Hub back during Black Friday Sales,

It was a lot easier to install, and configure than the the I/O Linc.

A couple of posts on using a hinge to make a tilt sensor.

I was able to setup myQ sensors on IFTTT with no issue (I had this setup on ST as well) but I can not get any combo of #7 Dashboard to give me a working tile(s) to open and close the garage doors. I can operate them from the device page with the open and close commands so I am missing something between the tile recommendations in #7 and the actual command to open or close.

When I initially setup my garage door, I also added two momentary button tile devices.

One is momentary button tile for closer.
One is momentary button tile for opener
Note: I noticed my "device network id" for each device has opener or closer in its name

On my dashboard, I have two momentary buttons.
Opener: Device = Garage Door Opener, template = Momentary
Closer: Device = Garage Door Closer, template = Momentary

When I installed the app and drivers it created two devices (one for each garage door) and the type is "MyQ Garage Door Opener-NoSensor". Both of the devices have "Opener" in the ID. I do not have any devices with "Closer" in the ID.

Checking my devices and Dashboard.
To use just the opener device to toggle open / close.
When I configured MYQ,
I created a device:
Name: GarageOpener,
Type: MyQ Garage Door Opener
Device ID has 'garagedooropener' as part of the ID.

My dashboard tile config:
Device is "GarageOpener" , Template Garage (Control)

Today I sat down determined to make this work. I have a Liftmaster Residential opener that uses the MYy system.
Here are the steps I took to get this to work after reading all the different posts.

1 - Install the Smart App code off GitHub

2 - Install the Device Driver - myq-garage-door-opener-nosensor.src off GitHub

3 - Install the Device Driver - myq-garage-door-opener.src off GitHub

4- Edit the new garage door device and make sure the Type is set to "MyQ Garage Door Opener"

5 - Configure the App with Account email and password.

6 - Create Dashboard - Device: Garage Door - Template: Garage Control

Synopsis: You need BOTH Drivers above and the device set to the correct Type. If you do not have them it will not work. The only gotcha i see a the moment is that status is not properly represented.

1 Like

Probably because you don't have a 3rd party (NOT MyQ) tilt sensor.

1 Like

Correct. But in theory a 3rd party device should not be needed. Just the necessary coding into the app/driver.

Hear me out... The MyQ app knows the status of the opener so in theory that variable should be able to be incorporated into the driver to properly reflect the status of Open, Closed, Opening or Closing in Hubitat. I'm not a programmer, but it seems logical to me.

Actually... I also have a Vera Plus and that device provided status as a door lock (Locked vs Unlocked).

I am not either.

But what I have been told, and from my experience, this unofficial integration cannot use that built in sensor or door status. MyQ apparently doesn't forward that info to the "cloud".

This has been looked at extensively by many people over the years. If it really was feasible, someone on the multitude of platforms including Smartthings, Home Assistant, or Hubitat would have found a way.

Not Arguing... But Its not officially supported on Vera either (3rd party developer)... but it works with status without a tilt sensor.

Things that make you go... hummmmm.

It’s much simpler if you use HPM (Hubitat Package Manager), which will also keep you up-to-date.

2 Likes

I am new to Hubitat. (literally day 2).
I'm migrating stuff over from my Vera (started with Cloud accessible devices).
I'll look at HPM. will I need to remove everything I just installed for MyQ?

No, just click match, it will match up what you’ve already installed. It’s an amazing addition. Welcome to the community.

1 Like

Disclaimer: I am not a coder, nor the author of the MyQ app. But people would probably find it interesting to see how Vera 3rd party developers did this. Maybe that logic or method (although not the code itself) could be utilized.

Is this code available for review either publicly or privately? (Just yes or no please so we don't violate any licensing stuff) And is this a paid app? (Don't know how Vera works that way)

Not really, the app just waits awhile and assumes the door is in place. I would suggest that you get a contact sensor (I use the Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 7) or tilt sensor. Many people use Zigbee sensors and say they are more reliable and faster. All of my stuff is Z-Wave, and I am happy with it.

An advantage of the contact/tilt sensor is that the driver can stay in sync if the door opens by the wall push button control or remote.

1 Like

Plus 1 for using Hubitat package manager.
That makes everything so much simpler.

@672southmain Did you use HPM to install MYQ ?
If so, did you use with or without external sensors, or is there a choice now??
I will add note that HPM is an option

Yes.
External sensor - Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 7. LiftMaster/Chamberlain refuses to expose their sensor, which is why an added sensor is necessary.
The HPM MyQ package has always offered the choice at install for an external sensor.

1 Like