[Broken] MyQ Lite Application

@aaiyar, I agree that not after June 1st, but that's besides the point. The reason I have a Hubitat is that it replaces the Wink, so it's a lot sooner than June 1st in this instance.

Is it that the current version of the code does not support getting position data from the motor? And if so, is it the driver or app (or both) that requires updating to include pulling this data?

I think you need to read the documentation for the app.

1 Like

No, you need a sensor on the door for Hubitat to read the position.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I installed the no sensor driver version before I got a sensor. That only ever worked with the two button method setup (or the two buttons hidden behind applicable virtual button/switch - up/on to Garage Door Opener, down/off using Garage Door Closer).

1 Like

It’s neither. No one can force the manufacturer of a proprietary system to integrate with other home automation platforms if they don’t want to.

3 Likes

Just to elaborate a bit further, Hubitat shouldn't be expected to replace 100% of the features that Wink offered.

Cloud-based integrations, such as the one with MyQ, would be one example. As I said above, it's the device manufacturer that controls which platforms can access their cloud-based API (if they have one). From what I understand, MyQ will only consider integrating with platforms that are willing to pay for the privelege.

Direct compatibility with Lutron Caseta devices would be another example. Lutron licensed their ClearConnect RF technology to Wink (and before that to Staples for their Staples Connect hub, which no longer exists), so the Wink hub can directly control Caseta devices. But since then Lutron has declined to do so for any other platforms. That includes Hubitat, they apparently inquired when the hub was first under development and were told no.

That's why it requires a Caseta Pro Bridge, or a Radio RA2 receiver, or RA2 Select receiver to interface with Lutron devices. Those three Lutron devices support the telnet-based integration protocol that Lutron does make publicly available.

2 Likes

Another long night, another Wink device successfully replicated in HE. I gotta get better at jumping to the right app :upside_down_face:. The link in the user apps list sent me to the middle of the thread, so after unsuccessfully struggling with the two early versions, I finally found the latest and greatest at GitHub - dcmeglio/hubitat-myq: Integrate SmartThings with MyQ, which works perfectly. Thank you @dman2306! One oddity; the control shows up in Alexa as on/off, anyway to make it open/close?

If anyone (cough @sperai) is interested in setting this up without a contact sensor, I used a workaround that seems very effective (though I know I’m gonna get a lot of ‘that’s not a good idea’s :joy:);

Instead of using the no-sensor version of the app with its momentary drivers, I simply set up a virtual device as a contact. Then I added that contact to the IFTTT integration, and made an IFTTT that closes the contact when MyQ reports the door closed. On the MyQ web page, the hook to IFTTT looks like it requires a subscription, but it does not (for now). When you click subscribe, it just activates the hook for free, no CC info or anything required. The MyQ -> IFTTT -> HE door status reporting is really pretty quick, quick enough for my immediate needs anyway. I’ll replace the virtual contact with a real one eventually, but for now it works great and let’s you set up a proper garage door tile, with status, in the dashboard (instead of the momentary buttons). I also hope it means that when I do get a local contact, I can just switch out the virtual one without having to muddle with any set-up or breaking any RM/scenes etc.

1 Like

Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about that. Hubitat reports it to Alexa as a switch. I remember reading that recently Alexa added support to have Skills that use words like open/close but it would take the Habitat team to give me a way to tell Alexa that.

A virtual Contact using IFTTT will work but like you said, they plan to charge. Personally, when it comes to something like a door to my house I like having a local sensor. If something goes wrong I like knowing that the status I see in HE isn't dependent on MyQ's servers being up and running. Just makes me feel a little safer but your solution is a great middle-ground for people who don't want to buy a sensor... until MyQ starts charging for IFTTT :wink:

3 Likes

@mitchswpt

Just create Alexa routines that use the words open and close (or raise and lower) as the trigger, and turn on/off the garage door switch exposed by Hubitat as the action.

I don't use MyQ (I have a zigbee-controlled relay instead) and use Alexa routines with those words to control it.

3 Likes

I hadn't thought of that, that's a nice simple idea.

1 Like

I'm a simple kind of guy. Shot of bourbon every night and steak on Saturdays :grin:

6 Likes

FWIW, my "Hey Goober" @dman2306 open garage door routine recognizes "to the bat cave" and "release the Kraken." Js...

3 Likes

I just knew somebody was going to answer this as I scrolled down.

1 Like

That’s a great idea, I’ll give it a shot. The door opening to “Alexa, turn on pod bay alpha” was an improvement over the wink integration, which would respond “I’m afraid I can’t do that”, but it’s still a little awkward compared to “open the pod bay doors please, Alexa”.

1 Like

Ok, the bad guys are coming to your house and are going to scream into your house at Alexa to open garage door. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

2 Likes

A line from looney tunes unlocks my front door :smiley:

2 Likes

:crazy_face:

I'm following the directions, but can't get past

Step 12 says Choose "Tap to modify account" and provide credentials, but that isn't an option. When I enter my credentials and click next, it does nothing.

help a noob out?