First of all my apologies of a rather lengthy message but I needed to provide the full picture because some things are working and others are not.
Also, thanks in advance for all your help!
I am transitioning off of Wink. So far, I have been loving the move. The level of control that the Rule Machine provides is currently unparalleled, and support in this community is second to none.
First, I moved 40+ Lights (all Lutron) and Ecobees. No issues! The next big planned move was Shades, which besides lights, is the primary use case that we have for automation. Things started becoming rough, when it came to shades. I moved first half of my shades w/o any big issue (at least exclusion from Wink and inclusion in HE was easy).
Shade Type: Bali Autoview (Somfy motor)
Driver Used: Generic Z-Wave Shade
The following are mainly our objectives for Shades (a point to note is that all of these use cases were working in Wink).
Use Case 1: Open Shades 50% in the morning (Implemented using Rule engine)
Use Case 2: Close Shades entirely at night time (Implemented using Rule engine)
Use Case 3: Use Alexa voice commands to Open ALL Shades to 50% on an ad-hoc basis. (Yet to figure it out)
Use Case 4: Use Alexa voice command to Close ALL shades on an ad-hoc basis. (Yet to figure it out)
Use Case 5: Close Shades when we are away (Yet to write the Rule)
Issues with UC1:
- Shades open but erratically, some open at 50% and some stop at other random position (see the picture)
- With Wink they all opened in almost unison w/o much delay between the shades, but with HE, they almost open at different times and sometimes 10-15 seconds apart
Issues with UC2:
- Same issues as with UC 1, but the delay b/w these shades moving is more prolonged. Essentially no unison at all.
- but additionally several shades don't close at all
- If now I try to close them manually, they seem to have a mind of their own, and it's a struggle to close them by using the corresponding shade tile (see the linkified video) or even if I try to go to the device & set the position manually. Note: apologies for a lengthy video, but once you have seen at least 2 mins of it, you will get an of the issue. I can also share logs if needed.
Issue with UC3: Haven't really figured a way how to group shades together because groups don't allow shade devices. Looking for tips/suggestions on how work group of shades with Alexa.
Issue with UC4: Same issue as UC3
Additional relevant points.
- My Wink hub was about 20 feet from these blinds, but HE is in my office (since that is where my router & switch are), which adds another 15 feet. But as suggested by many in several posts on this forum, as part of my migration off of Wink plan, the first thing I had done right after setting up HE hub was to install a repeater in between the location of the HE hub and most of these blinds. Only then I started adding lights and then eventually got to shades. So, I am not assuming it is not a Z-wave distance issue.
- I have tried to repair my Z-wave at least once thinking that may at least help with whole delay thing. But no change
- My Wink hub is still up & running 'cos I have few other things yet to migrate. Not sure if there is any z-wave network conflict issue.