Life360 Broken

It is. But I'm not sure they're obligated to communicate changes to unauthorized, undocumented use of their reverse engineered protocol in the first place.

What are I wish they would do is make a formal external API. Even if I had to pay a few bucks a month, I would rather connectivity to external apps be officially supported and documented.

The Life360 integration in home assistant seems to be a lot more fluid. So those having issues could spin up an HA instance just for life360 use if they really want to. They have no issues changing the code every other day as life360 fiddles with crap.

4 Likes

Yeah, solid points there and I agree... Hard to know what L360's end-game is here, but it's obvious they are up to something this summer. Which of course is their prerogative.

But L360's shakin'-things-up trend lately doesn't bode well for the native integration, which depends on more stability to support (i.e. not constantly having to chase L360 changes with platform-level updates).

The native integration has always worked well for us, but I think I probably oughtta jump over to a community solution since those can be more nimble than native... And that's no shade on the native app, it's just the way this cookie is crumbling lately.

2 Likes

Oh! I haven't jumped too deep into it so I just kind of assumed it was an official API. Makes sense now why they have been leaving people in the dark so to speak.

Life360 is great, but if a competitor offered remotely similar functionality and with an official integration API I would drop life360 in a second.

So far though, I haven't found anything that works as easily or as reliably. So I'll keep doing the dance with them.

7 Likes

Kinda the same here.

I decided to rip out the native L360 app and give the ol' HE app's geofence option a whirl for a while here... I haven't ever tried it, so finger's crossed.

If that doesn't work well, I may try the community L360+ app, but I'm just not optimistic that L360's changes aren't going to end up knee-capping that as well sooner or later.

Le sigh...

2 Likes

I have actually noticed that "+" seems a bit glitchy at times.

I have Life360 connecting separately to Home Assistant, Node-RED, and Hubitat (native app). And I compare them occasionally.

They all seem equally good/bad to me.

My Hubitat install says login failed right now, but all of the people/presence is updating so I guess I don't care right now.

So far the community app was much more responsive to the changes than the official one, so I think your skepticism is misplaced.

Is this built in Life 360 issue still ongoing? I only started having problems in the past 4 days.
I was surprised when reading through that there has already been 2 waves of this.

There could be more coming. The problem is that Life 360 folks don't want to share their devices with other platforms, so thrid party integrations depend on reverse-engineering process that can break at any time.

For what it's worth, I've been noticing that my wife's phone primarily is resistant to leaving home in HE. I was on the native integration then temporarily used the community till the native one was fixed. Saw the behavior on both.

I have upgraded my hub to the latest firmware (2.3.6.136 at time of writing) and switched back to the Life360 Connector app. I temporarily swapped to the Life360+ community app but when I saw in the 2.3.6.x release notes that the inbuilt connector app had been fixed I re-enabled it and disabled Life360+

The login on the app is successful and pushing the Refresh button child device correctly updates the states of the family iPhones correctly, however when entering or leaving the home geofence boundary the Present / Not Presence state is not automatically updated.

Is anyone else seeing this same behaviour with the Life360 Connector app since upgrading to 2.3.6.x?

2 Likes

Yup, mines doing the same :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Exactly same experience for me as well.

Yes - handful of duplicate threads popping up.

Yes, exactly Same behaviour Here since end of September.

Same. :rage:

Same issue here and looked at logs. Looks like the last day the device updated was 9/21.

Looks like here is your answer.