Is there a good/easy solution to get text messages? Twilio Gets No More Money

I used to use Twilio. I have wasted enough money trying to get an account again from them that will send texts. Does anyone have a solution they have found? I would have given my money to the Hubitat folks to get this feature back.

Some cell providers have an e-mail address you can send to that will ultimately send you an SMS message. You can send e-mail via webCoRE, which is now built-in to the hub, or you could use the community version. You can also look into community-developed e-mail solutions.

That being said, most users probably use push notifications instead, which are easy and free with the Hubitat mobile app and also easy with a variety of third-party solutions. I'm assuming you're aware and specifically want SMS for some other reason; but if not, that would be my suggestion first.

1 Like

And if general push notifications are of interest, for a $5 one-time fee Pushover is a beautiful thing.

11 Likes

Pushover rocks -- I can confidently say that's the best $5 I've ever spent.

6 Likes

Pushover is by far the best.

Pushover Notifications Driver [Slightly Enhanced] - :gear: Custom Apps and Drivers / Custom Drivers - Hubitat

Pushover Emergency - :bellhop_bell: Get Help / Integrations - Hubitat

4 Likes

If you're looking for an option that sends normal texts and doesn't depend on a separate mobile app installed on each device:

Sendmail is easy to set up, as long as you have an email address that works w/it:

If you're a Gmail user the email>text option in this integration is rock solid. You could just create a separate gmail address for use w/the integration. This integration takes some work to set up, but is very cool, worth it.

I purchased Pushover to try it out, but don't use it as didn't like having another app on my phone for notifications personally, and with family members using email>text service allows me to send texts without asking them to add another app to their phones, which usually generates resistance.

4 Likes

I haven't found a solution for texts. "They" 're tightening up on that too.
I'm trying to stay away from things like "google api's", lol.

My generator sends me texts, my burglar alarm sends me texts, my thermostat sends me texts, my electric utility sends me texts, but my home automation hub does not send me texts. What's wrong with this picture?

This should be the only answer as it is bullet proof.......

4 Likes

It should be noted, as I mentioned above, that Hubitat is in fact capable of this using now entirely built-in tools (plus the Internet, I supppse, but you'll need that for this or any such solution to work at all in the first place too):

Not that I'd recommend this over push notifications without a good reason, as I'm sure some have. :slight_smile:

If you don't mind installing another app on your phone I agree. But I (and family even more) mind. :slight_smile:

And I can guarantee the cost for this service is either baked into the purchase price or part of an ongoing subscription.

5 Likes

Like i said, used to work for me, now no. They're tightening up. I'm just a normal guy, no domain, etc. Options are getting to nil, as the op noted with Twilio. Unless maybe you join the Google collective? But does it really Matter? :slight_smile:

Another vote for Pushover. Just works. Super reliable and easy.

If you're into self hosted there is also Gotify.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: SMS vs. Push Notifications

Moving the SMS vs. push discussion to the above topic to keep things clearer for the OP. :slight_smile: (Who, it should be noted, we have not heard from since the first post.)

4 Likes

Hey, how about ignoring this post too?

Original poster was not confused.
Twilio pulled the plug on non corporate users.
He's looking for an alternative SMS method.
Whoever posts on this thread should have a hands on approach on getting something to work.
Not just spout platitudes.

Ignore that.

1 Like

if hubitat would get tls or ssl over telnet working i could make sendmail work most likely for every provider.. the hold back is no security (ie tls ssl) so providers will not let you use their servers to send email.

2 Likes

Works with Android ... but no iOS support due to Apple's restrictions.

Sorry I haven't chimed in here since I originally posted. Got busy on something else. Yes I've used pushover. But on critical things, text messages get more immediate attention from me, which I why I asked this question. Not for other non sms solutions.

1 Like