Is there a good/easy solution to get text messages? Twilio Gets No More Money

See the two options I posted above. Both give you "real" SMS via email>SMS gateway of your ISP. E.g., for Verizon, email goes to [phonenumber]@vzwpix.com.

The Google Calendar option using a Gmail address to send the emails is nice in that you also get a cool integration w/Google Calendar, so a two-fer. :slight_smile: Sendmail requires an email service that doesn't require SSL/TLS, so you may need to setup a separate email account to use it.

Oh, and as you noticed we can and will happily go on and on w/out the OP around to bother us. :wink:

1 Like

I understand what you are saying. For instance I have outlook notifications turned off and keep Teams notifications on.

But in the case of pushover and the enhanced driver you have the ability to have unique sounds and a separate app for notifications. It would just require you to rewire your own “alert” levels.

I don’t mean to be critical, just offering an opinion.

3 Likes

@kahn-hubitat @velvetfoot @steve.maddigan
I tend to agree with the OP here.
Although I personally use pushover, and it's a great service, I find that among the vast majority of people, want notifications via SMS text messages. Maybe because "everyone" has it.
Regardless, I use various methods to send an email to the email->sms gateway of the cellphone provider.
There probably is some sort of security reason why Hubitat isn't allowing ssl/tls over telnet.

1 Like

I get that if you want to (almost always - remember Rogers and more recently Optus over here) get uninterrupted notifications then the phone network is the way to go.

Otherwise I see no particular benefit to SMS TBH.

As I mentioned in the "other" thread home assistant apparently can send SMS's via a cellular modem and this might be another option and doesn't require internet to use a gateway service.

This.

How’d you come to that conclusion?

3 Likes

When I first came to HE, I was bummed about no text option -- I just always figured that would be the most useful avenue for notifications. I begrudgingly went to Pushover ("ugh, another app") with low expectations, but now I'd never use anything else.

The ability to customize & prioritize messages is huge, especially since my iPhone and watch are always muted and are both are frustratingly inconsistent about alerting me to a text message. But Pushover comes through every time. And I love that emergency messages repeat until acknowledged. Pushover FTW.

6 Likes

Are we sure "Sendmail requires an email service that doesn't require SSL/TLS"?

I'm using my own domain at EasyDNS (in Canada), which gives me access to an outgoing SMTP under my domain, and I'm sending SMS messages via the xxx@vtext.com gateway, over port 587 (which I thought was SSL?) - It's possible EasyDNS is just accepting cleartext on that port as well. I haven't bothered to sniff the traffic to validate this is in transit over SSL.

But I've had no real problems using SendMail, the vtext SMS Gateway, and EasyDNS SMTP service - I just set it up, and it worked, and I send various alerts to two different cell phone #'s without much issue.

That said, I'm AM paying for my own domain (and e-mail accounts on that domain), but I purchased that for different reasons and I think I'm limited to 500 outgoing messages a day, which isn't an issue

Have folks tried 587 with other SMTP providers? (with authentication, obviously).
Clearly YMMV

I came to the conclusion that "the vast majority of people want notifications via SMS Text Messages" because that's what all my clients said. So, it's a very small subset, and very limited in geographical area (especially). So, please let me re-phrase that sentance:
"The vast majority of the people that I have dealt with, have stated that they want notifications (especially important ones) via SMS text messages."
(Please forgive my prior sloppy phrasing.)

3 Likes

How about if you have a phone that doesn't readily do apps, or you are prohibited from accessing the internet for security reasons. At a minimum, my Alcatel flip phone can't do Pushover, far as I know. I don't think you can even do Uber on it, so how do you call a 'cab' nowadays, lol. Haven't messed with it lately though.

1 Like

I get so many text messages (despite my best efforts to guard my phone number) text messages are essentially pointless, i don't read them, just open them long enough to reset the counter. Definitely prefer push. Even then I have scheduled summaries for most things that aren't actually critical. Pushover is one I do not include in the scheduled summary. I will add that pushover does also send text to an email address. I have some alerts from Ecowitt for our planters moisture sensors set up to email my wife.

4 Likes

How often does this come up outside of corporate/enterprise type networks?

2 Likes

I don't know.

I like to have the option to turn off mobile data to save money.

There also might be some personal security/privacy issues that I'm not aware of similar to leaving location on all the time.

Although, if "they" want to know where you are and what you're doing, I guess nothing is an impediment. Unless you don't carry a phone, which, really, is a fairly recent development. :slight_smile:

I can send a text from my email account from my phone/desktop to my phone carrier and get a text that way. But I can't seem to figure out how to get my hub to send the email. I just can't seem to be able to configure sendmail. I have xfinity. Anyone have an experience with this?

Ask your question in the Sendmail thread - that's where you'll get the best help w/your issue. Best to always to ask questions about integrations in the integration topics.

1 Like

True.
But I'm still trying to figure out why some come delayed more often than my texts do.